From Dust delayed on PC

• 69 results
#1 Posted by Jimbo (9772 posts) -

FFS. New date is 17th August.

Delayed because blah blah Ubisoft sucks cock and likes it. They did give an actual reason, but who cares, it was probably bullshit anyway like it always is.

#2 Posted by Matoya (416 posts) -

What a surprise, a PC game being delayed!

#3 Posted by eroticfishcake (7782 posts) -

I still can't find any real reasons for the delay but then again I'm not really surprised. Bleugh. I was really looking forward to this. At least Limbo is coming to Steam soon.

#4 Posted by MEATBALL (3057 posts) -

Well, that sucks, guess I will buy it on 360 (I was on the fence as to which version to purchase).

#5 Posted by Jimbo (9772 posts) -

Usually what I do when they pull this last minute PC delay bullshit is just not buy the game at all, because fuck them.

#6 Posted by Rhaknar (5939 posts) -

wasnt planning on buying it until it went on sale anyway so /shrug. Sucks for people that want it tho, it looks cool.

#7 Posted by Rattle618 (1463 posts) -

NOooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo. 
Nevermind, I can wait.

#8 Posted by Vodun (2370 posts) -

@Jimbo said:

Usually what I do when they pull this last minute PC delay bullshit is just not buy the game at all, because fuck them.

Yeah, making you wait for something? Who do they think they are!?

#9 Posted by Cloudenvy (5891 posts) -

I'll still rather wait for the PC version.

#10 Posted by ajamafalous (11845 posts) -
@Jimbo said:

Yeah, me too. That or I pick it up six months to a year later for like 20% of the initial price.
#11 Posted by Keenblaze (470 posts) -
@Vodun said:

@Jimbo said:

Yeah! Wait for a game that is obviously ready for release but delayed just because some other people are pirates! WAIT FOR IT LIKE A MAN!
#12 Posted by valrog (3671 posts) -

I hope this doesn't turn into I Am Alive.

#13 Posted by wolf_blitzer85 (5250 posts) -

Because money.

Oh well, it looks cool, but I can definitely wait a little while longer, or you know, just wait until a Steam sale and get it for five bucks. That'll show 'em.

#14 Posted by Azteck (7449 posts) -

Fuuuuuuck. I was really looking forward to this. Not like I won't be buying but I don't want to have to wait more than I already had to.

#15 Posted by warxsnake (2635 posts) -

Sucks to be a developer these days, lots of entitled whiny bitches. How the fuck can you be pissed about a game delay - which didn't have a solid PC release date to start with - when it comes from a company you perpetually hate? We get it, you hate Ubi.

Also if you really want to cry on the internet about a game's postponement, bitch @ microsoft for putting exclusivity on summer of arcade titles.

#16 Posted by ervonymous (1297 posts) -

Any word on the Ubisoft DRM? I'm not going anywhere near that shit, I rue the day I bought Splinter Cell Conviction for practically nothing.

#17 Posted by ShaggyDude (136 posts) -

Ubi's really fucking with my zen thing, man.

#18 Posted by Jimbo (9772 posts) -

@Keenblaze said:

@Vodun said:

@Jimbo said:

Yeah! Wait for a game that is obviously ready for release but delayed just because some other people are pirates! WAIT FOR IT LIKE A MAN!

Ha, I wouldn't even mind that if they were honest about it to begin with. Rather than conveniently realising 2 days before launch that the game 'isn't ready'. It keeps happening too, like we aren't going to notice.

@warxsnake said:

Also if you really want to cry on the internet about a game's postponement, bitch @ microsoft for putting exclusivity on summer of arcade titles.

Yeah, I expect they decided that 48 hours before release was the perfect time to add an exclusivity clause to the contract. Doy.

#19 Posted by Vodun (2370 posts) -

@Jimbo said:

@Keenblaze said:

@Vodun said:

@Jimbo said:

Ha, I wouldn't even mind that if they were honest about it to begin with. Rather than conveniently realising 2 days before launch that the game 'isn't ready'. It keeps happening too, like we aren't going to notice.

@warxsnake said:

Yeah, I expect they decided that 48 hours before release was the perfect time to add an exclusivity clause to the contract. Doy.

Shit happens, they put it out when the want, it's not your right to play it, quit being a whiny bitch, play it or don't.

#20 Posted by Marz (5642 posts) -

:(

#21 Posted by Giefcookie (582 posts) -

Looking at the time between the xbox and pc releases of some titles (Limbo for example) I'm actually rather pleased with how fast its coming to steam.

#22 Posted by Jimbo (9772 posts) -

@Vodun said:

@Jimbo said:

@Keenblaze said:

@Vodun said:

@Jimbo said:

@warxsnake said:

Shit happens, they put it out when the want, it's not your right to play it, quit being a whiny bitch, play it or don't.

It's my right to be a whiny bitch about it, which I intend to exercise (while not playing it). If enough people are whiny bitches about it then hopefully they'll get the message and decide to stop fucking about. Or at least stop bullshitting about the consistent last minute delays. If they know they're gonna stagger the release they could just say so in the first place.

#23 Edited by Keenblaze (470 posts) -
@Jimbo said:

That's the part that bothers me. Just say that you want to get sales from other platforms before the pirates get their mitts on it. Don't feed us some lines about the game not being ready or "optimized" for the PC.  

The worst was when Alan Wake was cancelled for the PC. They claimed it was because the "intimacy" of the 360 was better suited to their game. Sitting on a couch far from a TV screen is more intimate than being inches away from a monitor, apparently. That stupid excuse still drives me insane.
#24 Edited by UnrealDP (1221 posts) -

@valrog:

This games already finished unlike I Am Alive, so unless the singularity occurs and destroys all life as we know it i think it will get released on PC.

#25 Posted by Agent47 (1894 posts) -
@ervonymous: Never understood this.Seems like the dumbest idea ever.Not buying a game because of DRM.Like I get the whole "Dey should trust their customers and not be puttin restraints on " blah blah blah.But it's not really that bad I guess people just always need an excuse.
#26 Posted by warxsnake (2635 posts) -

@Jimbo said:

@Keenblaze said:

@Vodun said:

@Jimbo said:

@warxsnake said:

You're acting way more surprised than you should be if you already knew that FDust was a summer of arcade exclusive, in that case what were you expecting? Correct me if I'm wrong but the PC version never had a solid release date to start with (game journalists who presume it should come out same date as whatever other version and post that information online don't count).

I can tolerate gamers bitching about a delay here and there, that's fine, but not when they use over-the-top useless rhetoric. Nothing was ever promised to you, and yet you take it as a stab in the back the fact that a game with no concrete release date on PC got delayed a month.

I wonder what your reaction was to the 12year delay of DNF or the other countless (and better) titles that got delayed way more than this has... and this is an xbla game ffs... I'm surprised you didn't reach critical mass and exploded. Or is it just Ubi that pisses you off for whatever reason? I guess they need someone like Randy Pitchford to smile like a dumbass in trailers that are all about the game getting delayed to sell you a 12-years-in-the-making half-polished piece of turd for $70.

#27 Posted by TheHBK (5463 posts) -

What the fuck.  I wanted this on the PC.  I want to know for sure if the mouse and keyboard are better, probably, graphics and all that jazz.  But also, that means I would have to wait longer for the game to go on sale on Steam...  this is pretty gay.

#28 Posted by Jimbo (9772 posts) -

@warxsnake said:

@Jimbo said:

@Keenblaze said:

@Vodun said:

@Jimbo said:

@warxsnake said:

You're acting way more surprised than you should be if you already knew that FDust was a summer of arcade exclusive, in that case what were you expecting? Correct me if I'm wrong but the PC version never had a solid release date to start with (game journalists who presume it should come out same date as whatever other version and post that information online don't count).

I can tolerate gamers bitching about a delay here and there, that's fine, but not when they use over-the-top useless rhetoric. Nothing was ever promised to you, and yet you take it as a stab in the back the fact that a game with no concrete release date on PC got delayed a month.

I wonder what your reaction was to the 12year delay of DNF or the other countless (and better) titles that got delayed way more than this has... and this is an xbla game ffs... I'm surprised you didn't reach critical mass and exploded. Or is it just Ubi that pisses you off for whatever reason? I guess they need someone like Randy Pitchford to smile like a dumbass in trailers that are all about the game getting delayed to sell you a 12-years-in-the-making half-polished piece of turd for $70.

The fuck are you babbling on about?

#29 Posted by warxsnake (2635 posts) -

@Jimbo: Holy shit, a game's release date changed!?! You can't be serious.

#30 Edited by Keenblaze (470 posts) -
@warxsnake said:

Ha, you must be trolling. You just claimed that there was no solid release date for the PC and you just got shot down. Shut up, man, you lost this fight.
#31 Posted by warxsnake (2635 posts) -

@Keenblaze said:

@warxsnake said:

Ha, you must be trolling. You just claimed that there was no solid release date for the PC and you just got shot down. Shut up, man, you lost this fight.

No thanks, but I will keep enjoying idiots who take game delays way out of proportion with their frustrations.

#32 Posted by Azteck (7449 posts) -
@warxsnake said:

Just shut up. You bring nothing to this conversation except for your raging hormones that you can't seem to keep under control so get out.
#33 Posted by Jimbo (9772 posts) -

@warxsnake said:

I know it's like journalists or Randy Pitchford must have hacked into the Ubisoft store and put that date there right?! It can't be legit because the PC version never had a concrete release date! I know that's true because you just told me and you seem totally reliable and clued up about what you are talking about.

#34 Posted by Vexxan (4615 posts) -

Not that big of a delay...oh well, getting this for my 360 on Wednesday anyway.

#35 Posted by endless_void (706 posts) -

So dissappointing :(
My little bro was so excited for this, guess we'll have to wait until summer is over. Won't have much time to play this when school starts.....
:|

#36 Posted by SgtGrumbles (1024 posts) -

@Jimbo said:

@Keenblaze said:

@Vodun said:

@Jimbo said:

@warxsnake said:

It's definitely just because they want to fuck over people and mess you around, that's literally the only possible reason.

#37 Posted by ervonymous (1297 posts) -

@Agent47: Requiring an uninterrupted internet connection to play a single-player game is taking it too far, the less there is in the way of actually playing the game the better. Even Ubisoft understood it after a rough start.

CD Projekt removed their DRM from The Witcher 2 completely when they learned it was causing performance issues, I'm not opposed to intrusive rights management just because. It's not that hard to see.

#38 Edited by Nocall (353 posts) -
@Keenblaze said:

@Jimbo said:

That's the part that bothers me. Just say that you want to get sales from other platforms before the pirates get their mitts on it. Don't feed us some lines about the game not being ready or "optimized" for the PC.   The worst was when Alan Wake was cancelled for the PC. They claimed it was because the "intimacy" of the 360 was better suited to their game. Sitting on a couch far from a TV screen is more intimate than being inches away from a monitor, apparently. That stupid excuse still drives me insane.
I agree. Yeah, I might still be disappointed that your game is being delayed, but if you're honest about why you're doing it at least you have my respect for not treating me like I'm stupid. Lying like this just makes you look bad from every angle.
#39 Edited by Vitor (2809 posts) -

@warxsnake said:

@Jimbo said:

@Keenblaze said:

@Vodun said:

@Jimbo said:

@warxsnake said:

No, they totally confirmed the PC released date - in fact, the Ubishop website still lists it as coming out on the 27th, along with the Xbox version.

The fact that it wasn't available to preoder on Steam yet already had me worried though.

#40 Posted by Spark (46 posts) -

I remember reading that in order to be included in the Summer of Arcade promotion there needs to be a window of exclusivity for the game. This delay is probably that window, hopefully they do something productive for the PC version during this three week delay.

#41 Posted by Vodun (2370 posts) -

@Keenblaze said:

@Jimbo said:

That's the part that bothers me. Just say that you want to get sales from other platforms before the pirates get their mitts on it. Don't feed us some lines about the game not being ready or "optimized" for the PC. The worst was when Alan Wake was cancelled for the PC. They claimed it was because the "intimacy" of the 360 was better suited to their game. Sitting on a couch far from a TV screen is more intimate than being inches away from a monitor, apparently. That stupid excuse still drives me insane.

You have deep inside information regarding the reasons for pushing the release then I gather? And what the FUCK is convenient about a delay 2 days before launch? Do you really think they've planned this, that they wanted to push the game's release date just before it was upon them? What in the name of the gods would they have to gain from this? Everyone knows the only thing you accomplish by pushing a release date is that it brings out the whiny little entitled bitches.

#42 Posted by Jimbo (9772 posts) -

@NeverDave said:

@Jimbo said:

@Keenblaze said:

@Vodun said:

@Jimbo said:

@warxsnake said:

It's definitely just because they want to fuck over people and mess you around, that's literally the only possible reason.

It's pretty unlikely that they're just now realising that they signed an exclusivity contract, don't you think?

They keep doing it because it's more politic for them to keep pretending their PC versions are coming day and date and then invent some obscure last-minute reason for a delay, than it is to just say "We're always gonna delay our PC release because you're a bunch of thieves". It's no great secret why they keep doing it, but this charade every time is starting to wear thin. Especially when they use the excuse "We just wanna make the PC version as good as we can!" and everybody laps it up, like that's not something they should have been considering throughout the entire dev cycle, rather than leaving it until 2 days before the stated release date.

TBH, on this occasion I think they're shooting themselves in the foot, because this is one game which I would have expected to sell better on Steam etc. than on XBL (assuming a same day release).

#43 Posted by Vitor (2809 posts) -

@Jimbo said:

@NeverDave said:

@Jimbo said:

@Keenblaze said:

@Vodun said:

@Jimbo said:

@warxsnake said:

It's pretty unlikely that they're just now realising that they signed an exclusivity contract, don't you think?

They keep doing it because it's more politic for them to keep pretending their PC versions are coming day and date and then invent some obscure last-minute reason for a delay, than it is to just say "We're always gonna delay our PC release because you're a bunch of thieves". It's no great secret why they keep doing it, but this charade every time is starting to wear thin. Especially when they use the excuse "We just wanna make the PC version as good as we can!" and everybody laps it up, like that's not something they should have been considering throughout the entire dev cycle, rather than leaving it until 2 days before the stated release date.

TBH, on this occasion I think they're shooting themselves in the foot, because this is one game which I would have expected to sell better on Steam etc. than on XBL (assuming a same day release).

I totally wouldn't be surprised if this ends up doing better on Steam than XBLA. That worked out pretty well for Super Meat Boy and a few other indie games. And this looks like a game that would be much more at home on a PC anyway.

#44 Posted by Jasta (2217 posts) -

Ach!

#45 Posted by 2HeadedNinja (1539 posts) -

There I was thinking: Hey, cool, I like this game and I will get it the same day it's released on the xbox ... kudos Microsoft. But there we are again getting the short end of the stick.

#46 Edited by Keenblaze (470 posts) -
@Vodun said:

@Keenblaze said:

@Jimbo said:

That's the part that bothers me. Just say that you want to get sales from other platforms before the pirates get their mitts on it. Don't feed us some lines about the game not being ready or "optimized" for the PC. The worst was when Alan Wake was cancelled for the PC. They claimed it was because the "intimacy" of the 360 was better suited to their game. Sitting on a couch far from a TV screen is more intimate than being inches away from a monitor, apparently. That stupid excuse still drives me insane.

You have deep inside information regarding the reasons for pushing the release then I gather? And what the FUCK is convenient about a delay 2 days before launch? Do you really think they've planned this, that they wanted to push the game's release date just before it was upon them? What in the name of the gods would they have to gain from this? Everyone knows the only thing you accomplish by pushing a release date is that it brings out the whiny little entitled bitches.

What they have to gain is that people who would pirate it day one on the PC would theoretically just buy it on a console to avoid waiting. Do you honestly think that they realised 2 days before launch that, oh wait, our game is ready on all platforms except the PC? Look at Ubisoft's past record with PC games. Every Assassin's Creed game has had a huge delay with the PC version (just wait till Revelations gets a delay). The PC version of Splinter Cell Conviction had a two week delay. A PC version of Rayman Origins is still up in the air. With this and Ubisoft's DRM debacle, it's pretty obvious that they consider piracy a big problem and are willing to subject legitimate PC customers to punishment because of it. 

I don't know the numbers on piracy, but if they're high enough, I guess I can't blame them for trying to combat it as hard as possible. However, I think their strategies thus far have been nothing but counter-intuitive, leading more people to refuse to buy their products and justify pirating. The real enemy is piracy, and the sooner people realise that, the sooner companies will start respecting PC gamers again.
#47 Posted by buft (3301 posts) -

that sucks for pc players, the biggest complaint from the IGN review was the 360 controller  so i expect the Pc version to be a little better.I'll be picking up the 360 version myself since my PC struggles qith anything other than 10 year old games.

#48 Posted by SeriouslyNow (8534 posts) -

@Vodun said:

@Jimbo said:

@Keenblaze said:

@Vodun said:

@Jimbo said:

@warxsnake said:

Dude, seriously. Fuck off. Shit happens and people will tell you to fuck off when you're being rude. Quit being a whiny bitch, enjoy it or don't.

#49 Posted by NoRemnants (378 posts) -
@warxsnake: Ubisoft has done this exact thing to every PC version of Assassin's Creed as well. It's nothing new and there is no reason for it other than punishing PC gamers because of a few pirates. I thought it looked cool but I won't touch it until it's dirt cheap on steam now.
#50 Edited by warxsnake (2635 posts) -

@Havox said:

@warxsnake: Ubisoft has done this exact thing to every PC version of Assassin's Creed as well. It's nothing new and there is no reason for it other than punishing PC gamers because of a few pirates. I thought it looked cool but I won't touch it until it's dirt cheap on steam now.

Yes because developers are interested in punishing their clients. That's the fucking dumbest thing I've heard and I'm tired of that excuse.

It's maybe not the best way to develop games while keeping people happy, but for all current gen titles that aren't PC centric, Ubisoft has a separate and small PC-dedicated team for each current project that optimizes the PC build, which they allocate that last ~month towards. The PC version is built daily alongside the console versions throughout development, and the last month (or more) are dedicated to get engine and performance features working on the PC (ignorant gamers need to be reminded that Xbox is PowerPC architecture, different than your regular PC, so what you call "porting" is not a simple one-click thing).

You gave the example of Assassin's Creed. AssCreed,II,Brotherhood (Anvil engine) have code in it optimized for xbox, in charge of dynamic streaming, asset occlusion, things that are really important for open worlds. The small PC dev team had to recode that for PC during the hiatus. And they have to do that job again everytime there is a new release because the engine gets updated for xbox in parallel, with new features.

Whether the news of a delay is abrupt or not, that's another concern, but don't go around saying they are doing this to spite PC gamers, stop being fucking 12 years old conspiracy theorist about this shit. Publishers don't care about your feelings or punishing you.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.