From Dust delayed on PC

• 69 results
#51 Posted by Declarius (180 posts) -

@warxsnake said:

@Havox said:

@warxsnake: Ubisoft has done this exact thing to every PC version of Assassin's Creed as well. It's nothing new and there is no reason for it other than punishing PC gamers because of a few pirates. I thought it looked cool but I won't touch it until it's dirt cheap on steam now.

Yes because developers are interested in punishing their clients. That's the fucking dumbest thing I've heard and I'm tired of that excuse.

It's maybe not the best way to develop games while keeping people happy, but for all current gen titles that aren't PC centric, Ubisoft has a separate and small PC-dedicated team for each current project that optimizes the PC build, which they allocate that last ~month towards. The PC version is built daily alongside the console versions throughout development, and the last month (or more) are dedicated to get engine and performance features working on the PC (ignorant gamers need to be reminded that Xbox is PowerPC architecture, different than your regular PC, so what you call "porting" is not a simple one-click thing).

You gave the example of Assassin's Creed. AssCreed,II,Brotherhood (Anvil engine) have code in it optimized for xbox, in charge of dynamic streaming, asset occlusion, things that are really important for open worlds. The small PC dev team had to recode that for PC during the hiatus. And they have to do that job again everytime there is a new release because the engine gets updated for xbox in parallel, with new features.

Whether the news of a delay is abrupt or not, that's another concern, but don't go around saying they are doing this to spite PC gamers, stop being fucking 12 years old conspiracy theorist about this shit. Publishers don't care about your feelings or punishing you.

They aren't deliberately trying to punish paying customers, but they aren't the first to indirectly punish them because they are trying to employ some new DRM method. The fact that you haven't realized Ubisoft has hurt it's PC legit consumers already with their permanent online DRM tells me you are really out of the loop on this. Which leads me to question how you know what goes on behind closed doors at Ubisoft. Hasn't every good developer moved to developing their multiplatform games for PC first? When is the last time you saw a delay announced two days before the official release date?

#52 Edited by warxsnake (2650 posts) -

@Dagmar said:

@warxsnake said:

@Havox said:

@warxsnake: Ubisoft has done this exact thing to every PC version of Assassin's Creed as well. It's nothing new and there is no reason for it other than punishing PC gamers because of a few pirates. I thought it looked cool but I won't touch it until it's dirt cheap on steam now.

Yes because developers are interested in punishing their clients. That's the fucking dumbest thing I've heard and I'm tired of that excuse.

It's maybe not the best way to develop games while keeping people happy, but for all current gen titles that aren't PC centric, Ubisoft has a separate and small PC-dedicated team for each current project that optimizes the PC build, which they allocate that last ~month towards. The PC version is built daily alongside the console versions throughout development, and the last month (or more) are dedicated to get engine and performance features working on the PC (ignorant gamers need to be reminded that Xbox is PowerPC architecture, different than your regular PC, so what you call "porting" is not a simple one-click thing).

You gave the example of Assassin's Creed. AssCreed,II,Brotherhood (Anvil engine) have code in it optimized for xbox, in charge of dynamic streaming, asset occlusion, things that are really important for open worlds. The small PC dev team had to recode that for PC during the hiatus. And they have to do that job again everytime there is a new release because the engine gets updated for xbox in parallel, with new features.

Whether the news of a delay is abrupt or not, that's another concern, but don't go around saying they are doing this to spite PC gamers, stop being fucking 12 years old conspiracy theorist about this shit. Publishers don't care about your feelings or punishing you.

They aren't deliberately trying to punish paying customers, but they aren't the first to indirectly punish them because they are trying to employ some new DRM method. The fact that you haven't realized Ubisoft has hurt it's PC legit consumers already with their permanent online DRM tells me you are really out of the loop on this. Which leads me to question how you know what goes on behind closed doors at Ubisoft. Hasn't every good developer moved to developing their multiplatform games for PC first? When is the last time you saw a delay announced two days before the official release date?

It's ironic that you say I'm out of the loop: the constant connection DRM managed by Ubi Orbit service has been phased out a while ago. They disabled the constant checks after the release of Brotherhood. Every Ubisoft game now has DRM that is equivalent to any other major publisher's DRM on PC, which is a single online check to master server at the start of a game (EA master server check on games like Mass Effect, NFS, Dragon Age for example).

Also multiplatform games depending on the type are rarely developed PC first these days. In the case of open world TPS/FPS (assassin's creed, skyrim, Fallout), they are very rarely lead on PC because you'd be shooting yourself in the foot for the other platforms. I had written a super-long explanation in another thread but I forgot which. The lowest denominator, in this gen's case the PS3 because of its memory limits, is chosen as a lead platform to develop a game within its means, and then the other versions get their respective features added and unlocked.

#53 Posted by m0rdr3d (474 posts) -

I'm not surprised.  It does probably mean I won't buy it now.  Aug. 17th is bad timing for me and I'll likely forget about the game anyway  (I don't want it on 360).  Maybe a Steam sale down the road will spark my interest again...
#54 Posted by Vodun (2370 posts) -

@Jimbo: @Keenblaze:

#55 Posted by Sjupp (1910 posts) -

17th August? Oh, I had no idea what the previous date was so I'm positively surprised because I thought this was going to come out for the PC like 3 months after. Like Microsoft tends to do with other stuff like this. Color me excited.

#56 Posted by piropeople13 (399 posts) -
@MEATBALL said:

Well, that sucks, guess I will buy it on 360 (I was on the fence as to which version to purchase).

People like you is why money is passed under the table and stuff is conveniently "delayed".
#57 Posted by AhmadMetallic (18955 posts) -

can't wait to have AC Revelations delayed for PC 

delay or no buy

#58 Posted by Declarius (180 posts) -

@warxsnake said:

@Dagmar said:

@warxsnake said:

@Havox said:

It's ironic that you say I'm out of the loop: the constant connection DRM managed by Ubi Orbit service has been phased out a while ago. They disabled the constant checks after the release of Brotherhood. Every Ubisoft game now has DRM that is equivalent to any other major publisher's DRM on PC, which is a single online check to master server at the start of a game (EA master server check on games like Mass Effect, NFS, Dragon Age for example).

Also multiplatform games depending on the type are rarely developed PC first these days. In the case of open world TPS/FPS (assassin's creed, skyrim, Fallout), they are very rarely lead on PC because you'd be shooting yourself in the foot for the other platforms. I had written a super-long explanation in another thread but I forgot which. The lowest denominator, in this gen's case the PS3 because of its memory limits, is chosen as a lead platform to develop a game within its means, and then the other versions get their respective features added and unlocked.

Developing on the PC first is certainly not a bad idea. If you have an engine that scales it is no problem, look at Capcom. Also, I did not say Ubisoft still used that specific DRM, I said they used it in the past and it negatively affected the legitimate customers. Which is correct.

#59 Posted by RE_Player1 (7560 posts) -

So what crappy DRM is Ubisoft going to pull this time?

#60 Posted by MEATBALL (3240 posts) -

@piropeople13 said:

@MEATBALL said:

Well, that sucks, guess I will buy it on 360 (I was on the fence as to which version to purchase).

People like you is why money is passed under the table and stuff is conveniently "delayed".

I'm not going to take a stand on something I honestly don't care about, nor am I going to take a stand on this when I don't know if any of the internet's rabid accusations are actually correct. I was always more likely to purchase the game on the 360 - where I was more likely to actually play through it anyway - this just gave me the nudge I needed to fall off the fence and into the 360 version's backyard.

I can understand people who were planning on a PC purchase being upset, but if I'm to attempt to be a voice of reason (and forgive me if this thread is beyond the whole 'they were paid off' conclusion jumping already), normally this timed exclusivity stuff is pretty see-through. Usually we're all aware of it pretty well in advance and the fact that this game has been delayed just a few days before its release says to me that Ubisoft might have actually run into some kind of problem more than that there was some kind of last minute "under the table" deal for exclusivity.

#61 Posted by NoRemnants (384 posts) -
@warxsnake: Lets look at a few Ubisoft releases that have followed this pattern.

Call of Juarez: The Cartel - PC release delayed 1 month.
From Dust - PC release delayed about 3 weeks.  
Assassin's Creed - PC release delayed 5 months. 
Assassin's Creed II - PC release delayed 4 months. 
Assassin's Creed: Brotherhood - PC release delayed 4 months. 
Prince of Persia (2008) - PC release delayed 1 week. 
Prince of Persia: The Forgotten Sands - PC release delayed 1 month.  

You can try to justify it all you want but these delays are intentional and usually not announced until very close to the release date.
#62 Edited by Ooame (165 posts) -

Well that sucks, i'm pirating it then on the 360.

#63 Posted by Jack_Daniels (1414 posts) -

@Jimbo said:

FFS. New date is 17th August.

Delayed because blah blah Ubisoft sucks cock and likes it. They did give an actual reason, but who cares, it was probably bullshit anyway like it always is.

Why isn't this news on the front page? I learned about it from google when trying to order this shit!

#64 Posted by zeppelinracer (49 posts) -

I was really looking forward to playing this game soon, know there's nothing I can do about it but still frustrating. 
And seeing as this is a Ubisoft game: Get your internet connections ready.

#65 Edited by ShaneDev (1696 posts) -

Did they actually give a reason? Other than the "Were going to make it as good as the Xbox version even though its finished and we were going to release it at the same time".

#66 Posted by kollay (1929 posts) -

Well,

Fuck.

#67 Posted by Declarius (180 posts) -

Would like to point warxsnake to the news article on the home page for Driver.

#68 Posted by Edwardryu (437 posts) -

Ubicrap has always delayed PC version for a while. so I am not even surprise at all. from sprinter cell conviction, assassin's creed 2, brotherhood, call of juarez cartel to dust, and ghost future soldier...... plenty of examples.... I am tired of hearing this shit. plus, they still do cover with their own notorious DRM system. they will do it for dust, and driver san francisco as well. what the funny news is that they announced DRM system has been successful to reduce piracy as what they believed. the answer is NO. it has been getting even worst they don't know.

#69 Posted by aku (57 posts) -

im still gonna wait for the pc version.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.