Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

From Dust

Game » consists of 5 releases. Released Jul 27, 2011

As a benevolent god known as 'the Breath', players must lead their people to safety and help them retrieve the lost knowledge of their ancestors by manipulating the shape of the terrain of the world in this spiritual successor to Populous.

Just a Quick Warning

• 58 results
    huelarl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By huelarl

In case you are one of the people who wanted to buy the PC-version because of graphics/better controls/other reasons: Don't. It's a terrible port, mostly because the mouse controls are fucked beyond belief. You get a tiny bit of space in the middle of the screen to move your mouse around in freely but other than that it's bound to the camera. It's also laggy and imprecise. I hope I save someone money by posting this, I for one regret my purchase already. 
    (I played it with Gamepad then and also think it's just a bad game overall, but that shouldn't influence anyone.)

Zithe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By Zithe

I was just considering it and was wondering about this. Thanks for the warning. That's too bad.

Bollard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 12

#3  Edited By Bollard

That really sucks... I'll miss this one then.

TheHBK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#4  Edited By TheHBK

Hmmmm.  I believe your Pentium 3 700 mhz processor might have something to do with this... just a hunch.

ajamafalous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#5  Edited By ajamafalous

@TheHBK said:

Hmmmm. I believe your Pentium 3 700 mhz processor might have something to do with this... just a hunch.

His processor has something to do with mouse movement?

Arebuckle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#6  Edited By Arebuckle

If true then...

shit. *face desk*

Zithe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Zithe

Too bad there's no demo so we can try it out...

AhmadMetallic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 11

#8  Edited By AhmadMetallic
    @Chavtheworld said:
    That really sucks... I'll miss this one then.
    Pinworm45

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#9  Edited By Pinworm45

What about with a gamepad? How does it play with that, if anyone knows?

sjupp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By sjupp

@Pinworm45 said:

What about with a gamepad? How does it play with that, if anyone knows?

I'll try that later. As of right now I'm not having any problems with it. Sure it would be better if you could use your mouse a bit more freely without it moving the camera but it's not bothering me right now. I'll get back to you guys later.

Avatar image for deactivated-5f8b49bb7fea7
    deactivated-5f8b49bb7fea7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Glad to see they pushed back the release date for this great port! They must have been optimizing the game for PC's during the delay.

sjupp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By sjupp

I would also like to see this complaint several times to keep myself from buying it. Just sayin'

Evilsbane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#13  Edited By Evilsbane

AWWW MAN I've been fucking waiting of the damn PC release and it is just a shit port ? Fuck IT ill just get the 360 version....assholes..

mattbosten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By mattbosten

Honestly thought the controls would be the main area of improvement for the PC version of From Dust. Disappointing.

ramboknife

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#15  Edited By ramboknife

The part that's really bugging me is that it's locked at 30 FPS, with zero graphics options, so it doesn't look great and isn't very smooth. Kind of sad, considering I just came off of Bastion and it was great. 

Rhaknar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Rhaknar

yeah on the gaf thread everyone is complaining about the shitty port. Oh well, wasnt getting it until a sale anyway

Dingofighter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#17  Edited By Dingofighter

I feel like Ubisoft aren't that huge on PC games right now...

Pushing back games at the last minute, bad ports, not-that-extremely-popular DRM choices.

Vexxan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Vexxan

What? While playing the 360 version struggling with the camera I thought "Oh this is such a PC game" and now people say it's crap on the PC?

Madness!

salad10203

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By salad10203

Specs?

Obsidian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#20  Edited By Obsidian

I was really hoping the mouse would make the gameplay better and it would look really nice if it could take advantage of the PC's better hardware. Unfortunately, neither of those things are true. The 360 version is definitely the way to go. 

My hopes weren't nearly as high for the PC version of Bastion, but I'll see if that's better soon.

sjupp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By sjupp

Apart from the locked 30 frames a second I don't find anything that says this is a bad console port. You get used to the mouse super quickly and it aint even that bad to begin with. This this game is game is fine except for the fact that FIRE CAN SUCK MY BALLS. IT'S EVERYWHERE!

Avatar image for rhombus_of_terror
    Rhombus_Of_Terror

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@huelarl said:

In case you are one of the people who wanted to buy the PC-version because of graphics/better controls/other reasons: Don't. It's a terrible port, mostly because the mouse controls are fucked beyond belief. You get a tiny bit of space in the middle of the screen to move your mouse around in freely but other than that it's bound to the camera. It's also laggy and imprecise. I hope I save someone money by posting this, I for one regret my purchase already. (I played it with Gamepad then and also think it's just a bad game overall, but that shouldn't influence anyone.)

Sounds like you only played for two seconds and threw a hissy-fit. It's called getting a hang of the game's mechanic. YES it is weird that the mouse cursor is loosely bound to the camera, it needs a little time to get used to. I do agree that the 360 PC pad works a lot better for both versions, hell you can still have a lot of pinpoint accuracy in the pad control scheme. But lambasting this port to such a degree for controls which you need to get used to, It's not a fair judgement of the game thus far. Go back into it and get a feel of the game. I'm sorry to sound so harsh but this is all down to how the game handles the mouse mechanic that seems inherently different to other games that use a mouse cursor on land.

If it bothers anyone that much, and you have a 360 pad for PC, switch to that, it's not going to hurt you.

Yanngc33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 5

#23  Edited By Yanngc33

That's a shame, how the hell do you mess something like that up?

swamplord666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#24  Edited By swamplord666

Man, that's a damn shame. I was cursing myself while playing it on 360 because i thought it would be one of those clearly-better-for-PC games for controls and precision.

sjupp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By sjupp

@RhombusOfTerror said:

@huelarl said:

In case you are one of the people who wanted to buy the PC-version because of graphics/better controls/other reasons: Don't. It's a terrible port, mostly because the mouse controls are fucked beyond belief. You get a tiny bit of space in the middle of the screen to move your mouse around in freely but other than that it's bound to the camera. It's also laggy and imprecise. I hope I save someone money by posting this, I for one regret my purchase already. (I played it with Gamepad then and also think it's just a bad game overall, but that shouldn't influence anyone.)

Sounds like you only played for two seconds and threw a hissy-fit. It's called getting a hang of the game's mechanic. YES it is weird that the mouse cursor is loosely bound to the camera, it needs a little time to get used to. I do agree that the 360 PC pad works a lot better for both versions, hell you can still have a lot of pinpoint accuracy in the pad control scheme. But lambasting this port to such a degree for controls which you need to get used to, It's not a fair judgement of the game thus far. Go back into it and get a feel of the game. I'm sorry to sound so harsh but this is all down to how the game handles the mouse mechanic that seems inherently different to other games that use a mouse cursor on land.

If it bothers anyone that much, and you have a 360 pad for PC, switch to that, it's not going to hurt you.

I'm just bumping this because I don't want anyone to not buy this because of TC being an idiot.

bybeach

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By bybeach

Fine for me, I don't like god games. There is only one omnipotent blahblahblah....but I am beginning to think some games are fine on console. Or at least on gamepad, though I do now remember Brad complaining about the impreciseness.

endless_void

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By endless_void
    @RhombusOfTerror said:

@huelarl said:

Bumping this as well. TC is stupid.
    RIDEBIRD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#28  Edited By RIDEBIRD

Ubisoft are going to get so left behind if they continue like this. A new PC era dawns and they still treat their customers like absolute shit, while EA intends to reap what they've sown with BF3 hype and other future titles.

Regardless of controls, the port is of course absolutely awful. Locked at 30 FPS and no display options = what are you even doing, seriously.

kollay

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#29  Edited By kollay

The DRM is boning me from all directions.

Glad this is the first fucking product I've bought from Ubisoft and didn't cost $60.

NoXious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By NoXious

A 10 post person coming in here saying things as if they are truth...

Tell me OP - how / where do you get lag? I ain't ever experienced it. The only thing I would consider bad is that you can't move your mouse while using WASD to move the camera.

That at most is what I consider poor mechanics, but I have not had imprecise movement nor lag. In fact, I find things that Brad complained about (lava causing fire unintended) to never occur because of the precision of movement.

Either the control scheme came naturally to me, or you're just out to exaggerate your quarrels.

Although I'm going to take up some of the advice in this threat and try out the gamepad while I'm at it.

noremnants

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By noremnants
    @Sjupp said:

@RhombusOfTerror said:

@huelarl said:

I'm just bumping this because I don't want anyone to not buy this because of TC being an idiot.

He's not being an idiot actually. The mouse being bound to the camera is indicative of a lazy developer mapping the mouse movements to the 360 controller's left stick. Even if it were not the case of a lazy developer it is an absolutely terrible design decision. Other problems to note would be absolutely no graphics options other than resolution and it is locked at 30fps.
    rethla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By rethla

Its just the standard PC port. Controls suck, the graphic is the same as on console but with super bad performance. UBI DRM sucks, took about 10min to get through (including having to dig up my UBI soft account) while it installed shit on my pc. No steam achievments and so on.

At least the game was very good, props to the guys who made it in some UBI cellar. I played with 360 gamepad.

vitor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By vitor

Patch incoming hopefully... Otherwise damn, that's another Nail in the Ubisoft as a PC developer coffin.

Seems like a huge oversight not to fine tune this.

Downloading right now to see for myself. Hope the performance issues aren't too bad - if I can't get a steady 30FPS at my native res though, I'll be pissed... Modest GPU but it handles nearly all multiplatform games pretty well,

zaglis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By zaglis
    @RhombusOfTerror said:

@huelarl said:

Defending an awful port? Tsk tsk.
    This sounds like Stormrise or Endwar, which were fucking horrible, horrible console RTS ports.
    swoxx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#35  Edited By swoxx

I'm one of the few who took very little issue with the controls on the Xbox and didn't find that they hamstrung my gameplay at all.

Sucks to see that the PC version isn't better, why wouldn't they just allow you to use your mouse everywhere? right click pick up, left click place. Seriously? It's not rocket surgery

Avatar image for mordeaniischaos
    MordeaniisChaos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 5

#36  Edited By MordeaniisChaos

Sigh..... When will people learn??? Making a shitty version of your game cuts sales WAYYYYYYYYYY more than it cuts your costs, and just ensures no one will want to buy future products from you.

@ajamafalous said:

@TheHBK said:

Hmmmm. I believe your Pentium 3 700 mhz processor might have something to do with this... just a hunch.

His processor has something to do with mouse movement?

Um, if he really is using that, then fuck yes. That will absolutely cause input lag. lol.

korwin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By korwin

Called this weeks ago. Developers just aren't interested in performing even the slightest amount of work to make sure that games control properly with a mouse anymore, the controls are always fucked (laggy, forced acceleration, locked sensitivity).

On the upside Valve has been putting in "raw input" mode into all their games recently, it's fucking mouse heaven (like the mid to late 90's early 2000's never left).

Spark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By Spark

Honestly I haven't had too much trouble with the mouse after unchecking scroll lock from the menu, it's definitely better than with a 360 controller. What I'm confused about is why you can't assign the side mouse buttons to a function in the options menu.

zaglis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By zaglis

Wow. Just wow.
     Just noticed that the game doesnt even have a Steam subform. They really did knew that they were putting out garbage and all the threads would be about how shit the port is

vitor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By vitor

@Spark said:

Honestly I haven't had too much trouble with the mouse after unchecking scroll lock from the menu, it's definitely better than with a 360 controller. What I'm confused about is why you can't assign the side mouse buttons to a function in the options menu.

What does the scroll lock do? Is that the reason the camera keeps drifting to the side? I'm not having an awful time with the game, really enjoy the fundamentals, but man, this totally does not control how I would have expected it to.

BravoJade

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By BravoJade

I was worried about this. Glad I found out before buying it because now I don't need to waste my money on it.

Bollard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By Bollard
    @RhombusOfTerror said:

360 pad for PC, switch to that, it's not going to hurt you.

That's kinda retarded thinking when most people who were waiting on the PC version were doing so specifically to avoid using a 360 controller.
    dave34

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By dave34
    @huelarl said:  

You get a tiny bit of space in the middle of the screen to move your mouse around in freely but other than that it's bound to the camera.                    

He's right, its basically the xbox 360 ported controls. Not true free mouse control.  
    Very very annoyed they didnt change or use the extra month dev time better.  

Recommend everyone wait for demo or simply spend their money elsewhere.
    FlipperDesert

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#44  Edited By FlipperDesert

I'm still playing it, but the graphics are ugly and can't be changed in settings and there is no option to change the edge scrolling from 'plain stupid and hard to control' to 'reasonable'. Seems fucking lazy, which is sad because I like the base game.

Spark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By Spark
    @Vitor
    The cursor moves independently from the camera when in the middle of the screen, while it scrolls the screen when near the side. The negative to this is that you would think using the wasd controls would compliment the free mouse movement, but scrolling via wasd disables the mouse movement until you stop, you can only do one at a time. Now I prefer to only use my mouse, I just bumped up the sensitivity and remapped the camera turn control from middle click to a side button. It feels pretty good and playing is more relaxed without the keyboard, only using one hand.

Also, for Nvidia card owners wanting to use anti aliasing with this game, FXAA works fine. Download it here and place the dx9 files in the same folder as from_dust.exe.
    vitor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By vitor

@Spark: Yeah, because of the way it works, I often found myself forgetting that I could fine tune the placement of materials and was playing the game almost exclusively with WASD with clicks to pick up and drop stuff and barely moving the mouse. Feels weird but it gets the job done.

Mantel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By Mantel

I watched the quick look and wanted this game and since I only have a PC that's my only option, the extra wait was a pain in the ass and getting the hang of the crappy controls made me want to quit after the first 5 minutes I stuck with it and started to like it. The main problem with the game I have is the Ubisoft Ubiaccount that's come with it, didn't EA say they left steam because they couldn't do this?

So it appears that Ubisoft have claimed that From Dust should only have a one time online login and then from then on you can play offline, it's far from that and honestly it seems the best thing to do (especially if you own the 360 version as well) is to compain to steam about this and request a refund. Several people have done this according to http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2011/08/18/from-dust-does-need-online-badly-ported/#comment-774924 and received a refund from their steam purchase.

As for me, I'm going to stick it out because it looks like a decent game asides from the always on DRM, the badly ported controls and the low quality of the graphics (compaired to what my PC can usually do) and I don't have any alternatives to play it on.

Rowr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By Rowr

thanks for the heads up.

Mantel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By Mantel

Looks like Ubisoft are issuing refunds or at least have a process in place for it

http://forums.ubi.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/9751064939/m/5561081249?r=7411003249#7411003249

re the DRM - we are hoping to have an official statement soon.

Those of you unhappy with the way the game is running on your system, please contact Support, to see if they can improve it - please make sure you have updated drivers and the game - there is an update available after install - before you contact them.

If that is not the resolution your after, I'm sorry but one here on the forum will be able to deal with any refunds or personally answer individual complaints.

If you contact the retailer - or if that's not an option, Ubisoft Support they can advise you further on the next stages you need to go through if you wish to pursue a refund.

huelarl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By huelarl
    @NoXious said:

A 10 post person coming in here saying things as if they are truth...

Tell me OP - how / where do you get lag? I ain't ever experienced it. The only thing I would consider bad is that you can't move your mouse while using WASD to move the camera.

That at most is what I consider poor mechanics, but I have not had imprecise movement nor lag. In fact, I find things that Brad complained about (lava causing fire unintended) to never occur because of the precision of movement.

Either the control scheme came naturally to me, or you're just out to exaggerate your quarrels.

Although I'm going to take up some of the advice in this threat and try out the gamepad while I'm at it.

I honestly can't see how you could not consider the mouse movement ingame laggy and imprecise. It's a fact, as far as I'm concerned (evidenced by plenty of other people describing this exact problem). It's playable, but it's a constant annoyance. I also don't see what my post count has to do with anything.

To everyone asking for specs or calling me stupid: a) I can run every game just fine and b) thanks. I'm hardly the only one complaining and if there's still people out there who don't think that this is a terrible port with the issues I described (and more, such as framerate being capped at 30 and Ubisoft straight up lying about the required permanent internet connection) that's none of my concern. If you enjoy the game despite those flaws - great! It really hurt my enjoyment though and my warning was a genuine one to people such as me who really were looking forward to the game and would be bothered by those things.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.