No constant internet DRM for PC version

#1 Posted by mosdl (3228 posts) -

Linky: http://www.joystiq.com/2011/08/04/ubisoft-from-dust-pc-will-not-require-constant-internet-connect/

Honestly I was going to skip this if it had that horrid DRM on steam.

#2 Posted by Rhaknar (5939 posts) -

Steam itself is already a kind of always on DRM anyway

#3 Posted by PufferFiz (1376 posts) -

@Rhaknar said:

BUT BUT BUT BUT ITS STEAM

#4 Posted by louiedog (2335 posts) -
@Rhaknar said:

Sure, except for the always on part.
#5 Posted by alternate (2687 posts) -

yup, still needs to authorize on startup.

#6 Posted by Apparatus_Unearth (3111 posts) -
@louiedog said:
@Rhaknar said:

I've never tried Steam games offline. Do they work?
#7 Posted by Animasta (14648 posts) -

@birdflu777 said:

@louiedog said:
@Rhaknar said:

sure

#8 Posted by KillyDarko (1888 posts) -
@birdflu777 said:
@louiedog said:
@Rhaknar said:

My net went down the other day and the game just kept on going without a care in the world... so I'd say yes?
#9 Posted by myketuna (1654 posts) -

@birdflu777 said:

@louiedog said:
@Rhaknar said:

Mostly. I haven't started Steam up while offline in a long time, but I've had the internet cut out as I'm launching a game and it still works. Though, there are some games that keep third-party DRM even on Steam versions and I'm betting that depending on how the DRM works, those games won't load if you're offline.

#10 Posted by Th3_James (2576 posts) -

I am always somewhere with internet if I am playing a game. If there is no internet, my least concern is playing a game. I am more concerned with finding access.

#11 Posted by misterhaan (227 posts) -

i rarely want to play a game on my computer when i don't have an internet connection, but it's just stupid to need to run steam AND uplay to get a game to launch.  steam is actually adding some useful features (screenshots, playtime tracking, friends) for the resources it's using, but uplay isn't really.  i guess for assassin's creed 2 and assassin's creed brotherhood uplay had achievements they didn't bother to also put in steam where i want them . . . and it has unlockable dlc but i haven't seen anything there that made me feel better about running an extra service.

as for steam's connection requirement, i frequently played games from the orange box without being able to connect to the steam servers (because steam servers sucked hard back then), which as far as steam is concerned is the same as not having internet.  back to from dust specifically, i'm disappointed steam's from dust listing only says "ubisoft online service" for 3rd party drm.  it's nice to know there's something else, but i'd like to know exactly how i'm going to be restricted.  maybe that's more up to ubisoft than steam though.

#12 Posted by valrog (3671 posts) -

Good, good...

#13 Posted by alternate (2687 posts) -

Great work on the DRM Ubisoft.  Game cracked a day before steam copies unlock.  Great use of resources.

#14 Posted by Rolyatkcinmai (2682 posts) -

Who gives a fuck

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.