Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

From Dust

Game » consists of 5 releases. Released Jul 27, 2011

As a benevolent god known as 'the Breath', players must lead their people to safety and help them retrieve the lost knowledge of their ancestors by manipulating the shape of the terrain of the world in this spiritual successor to Populous.

Steam?

admachina

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 6

#1  Edited By admachina

Is there any word that this will be coming out on steam when it finally does release for the PC?

Have they announced how it is going to be distributed for PC at all?

mattbosten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By mattbosten

According to the articles I've read, yes it's coming to Steam tomorrow (27/07) and it'll be $14.99.

Animasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 5

#3  Edited By Animasta

@MattBosten said:

According to the articles I've read, yes it's coming to Steam tomorrow (27/07) and it'll be $14.99.

it was pushed back to august

mattbosten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By mattbosten

@Laketown: Indeed, just had another look and it's apparently the 17th of August.

louiedog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#5  Edited By louiedog

I realize this has been answered but I just wanted to add that in these situations it's a good idea to look at the publisher if there's no specific information about the title's PC release. Ubisoft is putting this out and they put all of their stuff on Steam, so it's likely this would head there as well.

Emilbus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Emilbus

Good to know! I'm bummed that it's been pushed back but just glad it's coming to PC at all.

vonFlampanker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#7  Edited By vonFlampanker

Probably worth the wait to get this on PC considering the type of game it is. It being Ubisoft I'm also going to wait and make sure there aren't any DRM problems. I haven't heard much about their "always connected to the internet" scheme in awhile but that doesn't mean it won't be there causing problems.

At any rate, this game looks great and I'm looking forward to picking it up at some point.

Azteck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Azteck

I just hope it sticks to Steam DRM purely and not some other dodgy Ubisoft crap.

Kordesh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#9  Edited By Kordesh
    @Azteck said:
    I just hope it sticks to Steam DRM purely and not some other dodgy Ubisoft crap.
    I hoped too, and as usual, Ubisoft is in the business of ruining the hopes and dreams of PC gamers.
     PC version of From Dust is using the same bullcrap Ubisoft DRM on top of Steam. This game immediately went from "must buy" to "must avoid" on my list. I'm not even getting it on the 360 because I absolutely will not support Ubisoft in any way on this. The fact that they had the gall to say "well you can just get the 360 version then 8D" when someone confronted them about the DRM issue again makes me sick. Either they're just THAT clueless, or it's like they're trying to dick the PC base over enough to push them to the console versions so they can claim there's no PC market for their games (rather than the fact that they simply alienate the shit out of the PC market)
    TotalEklypse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By TotalEklypse

We got hosed within 48 hours of release. 

Mother bitches. 

also this 

@Azteck said:

Azteck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Azteck
    @Kordesh said:
    @Azteck said:
    I hoped too, and as usual, Ubisoft is in the business of ruining the hopes and dreams of PC gamers.  PC version of From Dust is using the same bullcrap Ubisoft DRM on top of Steam. This game immediately went from "must buy" to "must avoid" on my list. I'm not even getting it on the 360 because I absolutely will not support Ubisoft in any way on this. The fact that they had the gall to say "well you can just get the 360 version then 8D" when someone confronted them about the DRM issue again makes me sick. Either they're just THAT clueless, or it's like they're trying to dick the PC base over enough to push them to the console versions so they can claim there's no PC market for their games (rather than the fact that they simply alienate the shit out of the PC market)
    They confirmed that? Fucking hell. I cannot fucking stand Ubisoft. Guess I won't be getting From Dust now
    jetsetwillie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By jetsetwillie
    @Kordesh: lol.. some of you guys sure now how to exaggerate 
    Avatar image for gunslingerpanda
    GunslingerPanda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By GunslingerPanda

What's wrong with Ubisoft's DRM? I haven't bought a Ubi game on PC before.

Or are you guys just whinging pirates? I can't tell.

vitor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By vitor

@GunslingerPanda said:

The constant internet requirement is an issue, especially if your internet provider isn't reliable. If you get disconnected, some games would boot you out to the menu and you'd lose progress. Not sure if that's still the case but the DRM was f*d up on release. That and for the first few months even legitimate users couldn't log in to the servers to play their games due to screw ups on Ubi's end (couple with DOS attacks by assholes on the other end).

Or, like me, you're stuck with university internet in the middle of rural Japan and the router blocks online login into Steam and similar services. Renders the games unplayable for me. I bought AC:B off Steam for full price when I heard they'd dropped the always on internet connection required for that game, hoping that Ubi would learn a lesson. Apparently not though.

cheesebob

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By cheesebob

@GunslingerPanda: You have to stay online constantly and if your internet connection dies, you can't play the game. At all.

project343

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#16  Edited By project343

I really hope that, unlike the majority (if not all) of Ubisoft's releases, it'll support the full swath of Steam features. Like cloud saving, controller support, achievements, etc.

louiedog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By louiedog

For those who want it, the game is now available for pre-purchase on Steam. Buying it early will get you a Mask of the Shaman TF2 hat.

http://store.steampowered.com/app/33460/

Kordesh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Kordesh
    @Azteck said:

@Kordesh said:

@Azteck said:
    I hoped too, and as usual, Ubisoft is in the business of ruining the hopes and dreams of PC gamers.  PC version of From Dust is using the same bullcrap Ubisoft DRM on top of Steam. This game immediately went from "must buy" to "must avoid" on my list. I'm not even getting it on the 360 because I absolutely will not support Ubisoft in any way on this. The fact that they had the gall to say "well you can just get the 360 version then 8D" when someone confronted them about the DRM issue again makes me sick. Either they're just THAT clueless, or it's like they're trying to dick the PC base over enough to push them to the console versions so they can claim there's no PC market for their games (rather than the fact that they simply alienate the shit out of the PC market)
    They confirmed that? Fucking hell. I cannot fucking stand Ubisoft. Guess I won't be getting From Dust now
    I may very well still not be getting it due to the delay bullshit and just a general boycott of Ubi in general (Driver is getting the Ubi DRM treatment) but they are claiming that it won't have "always on DRM" now. That being said, they're wording that pretty specifically, and it still says "3rd Party Ubi DRM" on the game page, so I'm avoiding pre-ordering until I know exactly what flavor of shit they're coating this game with. I'm expecting its not going to be "always on" but still require you login to their stupid Ubi server at start which is just as bad.

Edit: Or maybe not http://www.joystiq.com/2011/07/30/from-dust-pc-gets-ubisoft-drm-steam-pre-purchase-bonus/
    Yeah, I'm not going anywhere near this thing.
    yoshimitz707

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#19  Edited By yoshimitz707
    @GunslingerPanda

Pirates wouldn't be whining because DRM always gets cracked. The only people who actually suffer because of it are paying customers.
    kollay

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#20  Edited By kollay

Also, the mask is for the Demo.

valrog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By valrog
    @Kordesh said:
    @Azteck said:
    Mother. Fuckers.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.