Steam offer refund on all purchases of From Dust

#1 Posted by MattBosten (497 posts) -

Seems as though Ubisoft are paying the price for some DRM on the UPlay feature in From Dust. Steam are offering full refunds to anyone who's purchased the game through steam.

Article: http://lo-ping.org/2011/08/18/steam-offering-refund-for-ever-sold-copy-of-from-dust/

Ubisoft’s God game From Dust is has been available for less than 24 hours but its purchasers are already being refunded by online distribution giant Steam after a breach of terms by Ubisoft.

The publisher stated that there would be no DRM with the game other than a one-time-activation. However this seems to have turned out to be a big fat lie as the inclusion of metapoint service Uplay demands DRM. Meaning the user would always have to be connected to the internet to log in to Ubisoft’s and play the game

If you purchased the game through Steam, you can request a refund by contacting support here and state your unhappiness with the forced DRM added by Ubisoft. It can take a while for a reply so please be patient.

#2 Posted by iAmJohn (6128 posts) -

Kind of glad I didn't buy this for the TF2 mask after all.

#3 Posted by Oscar__Explosion (2362 posts) -

@iAmJohn: but you would have gotten the hat and all your money!

#4 Posted by iAmJohn (6128 posts) -

@Oscar__Explosion: Aw man, you're right! :(

#5 Posted by Bocam (3784 posts) -

@iAmJohn: You can still do it

#6 Posted by Vexxan (4623 posts) -

GG Ubisoft?

#7 Posted by iAmJohn (6128 posts) -

@Bocam: You sure? Something tells me that now that word is getting out about this, Steam would be a little more reticent to give me my money back, and I really don't want to support shit Ubi ports like this...

#8 Posted by OllyOxenFree (4976 posts) -

Damn Frenchies!

#9 Posted by MaFoLu (1858 posts) -

Ubisoft and PC games, not really the best combination?

#10 Posted by Jimbo (9869 posts) -

@CaLe said:

Captain Crack Patches made me titter.

#11 Posted by TwoLines (2819 posts) -

It's not bad. I don't give a shit about the 30 FPS limit. And the mouse controls aren't bad. The only downside is that stupid DRM. But the game's cool.

#12 Posted by The_Nubster (2260 posts) -
@TwoLines said:
It's not bad. I don't give a shit about the 30 FPS limit. And the mouse controls aren't bad. The only downside is that stupid DRM. But the game's cool.
What's the logic of everyone clamouring for 60 FPS in every single game now? As long as it's locked into one or the other, I can't tell this difference. It's when games skitter between 30-60 that pisses me off. Make it one or the other, it doesn't matter. Just make it stable.
#13 Posted by Animasta (14712 posts) -

@The_Nubster said:

@TwoLines said:
What's the logic of everyone clamouring for 60 FPS in every single game now? As long as it's locked into one or the other, I can't tell this difference. It's when games skitter between 30-60 that pisses me off. Make it one or the other, it doesn't matter. Just make it stable.

I mean, to be fair, I'm PRETTY SURE this game could handle 60 fps if people wish it so.

#14 Posted by BaconGames (3487 posts) -

This story isn't about how terrible DRM is because that's just people finding another excuse to indulge in their first-world problems. This is important because it's another case where in-game implementation of policy violates Valve's contracts and Valve is acting accordingly. It seems like we're finally seeing the sparks between the heavy giants of game publishing.

#15 Posted by ajamafalous (12035 posts) -

@The_Nubster said:

@TwoLines said:

Because there's no reason I shouldn't be able to run the game at 60, especially when 30 fps looks like garbage.

#16 Posted by Video_Game_King (36272 posts) -
@CaLe

Wait, why is the DRM Gimp muttering, "Steam"? Isn't Steam awesome?
#17 Posted by RIDEBIRD (1233 posts) -

@The_Nubster: When you're used to 60 FPS, the difference is absolutely huge. I can't play most games in 30 FPS on PC. My experience with console games is usually better, but I usually only play console 1-2 times a year so it's hard to remember.

This is amazing. FINALLY, after three fucking years, Ubisoft got what they deserve for being absolute dicks towards PC-players. Bullshit DRM, straight up lying about the following - DRM, release dates, postponed release dates, quality of ports and just generally trying to get people to buy their games on console for some goddamn reason, and then coming and bitching about piracy. Well how about you not being dicks, huh? Damn I regret I ever defended their DRM, and even bought AC2. Little did I know they would keep being worse and worse assholes.

They said the DRM wasn't in, but whoa, IT WAS - and as Tuffgong writes they broke contracts. I can't fathom how this happened. PR people on vacation? Internal disaster at Ubisoft regardless, which they deserve if you ask me.

#18 Posted by The_Nubster (2260 posts) -
@ajamafalous said:

@The_Nubster said:

@TwoLines said:

Because there's no reason I shouldn't be able to run the game at 60, especially when 30 fps looks like garbage.

Fuck my brain shut down. Yes, PC games should be customizable in that regard (and most others).
#19 Posted by Praab_NZ (281 posts) -

The difference between 30fps and 60fps is really clear, a stable 60fps is always better than a stable 30fps. It becomes an image quality concern when you compare the two in real time.

I am much more upset about the controls and framerate then this DRM, but its really sucky that they can just lie and not be prosecuted. DRM wastes everyones time.

#20 Posted by Bocam (3784 posts) -

@iAmJohn: I did it

#21 Posted by iAmJohn (6128 posts) -

@Bocam: Next question then: are they still giving out the masks, or was that just a pre-order deal?

#22 Posted by clstirens (847 posts) -
@Ertard said:

@The_Nubster: When you're used to 60 FPS, the difference is absolutely huge. I can't play most games in 30 FPS on PC. My experience with console games is usually better, but I usually only play console 1-2 times a year so it's hard to remember.

This is amazing. FINALLY, after three fucking years, Ubisoft got what they deserve for being absolute dicks towards PC-players. Bullshit DRM, straight up lying about the following - DRM, release dates, postponed release dates, quality of ports and just generally trying to get people to buy their games on console for some goddamn reason, and then coming and bitching about piracy. Well how about you not being dicks, huh? Damn I regret I ever defended their DRM, and even bought AC2. Little did I know they would keep being worse and worse assholes.

They said the DRM wasn't in, but whoa, IT WAS - and as Tuffgong writes they broke contracts. I can't fathom how this happened. PR people on vacation? Internal disaster at Ubisoft regardless, which they deserve if you ask me.

The difference IS huge. However, he does have a point.  30 isn't so bad if you are at a steady 30. it's when there is jitter on anything below 50 (which obviously includes the 30 range) that it sucks so bad. 

Doesn't make the odd 30fps cap excusable, though. Hell, I say include a 30fps cap OPTION along with a 60 fps cap option.
#23 Posted by Bocam (3784 posts) -

@iAmJohn: Don't know

#24 Posted by TwoLines (2819 posts) -

@The_Nubster said:

@ajamafalous said:

@The_Nubster said:

@TwoLines said:

Fuck my brain shut down. Yes, PC games should be customizable in that regard (and most others).

They should, I agree, but I still honestly don't see the difference between 30 and 60 FPS. I don't know why, I just don't see it.

#25 Posted by Bloodgraiv3 (2712 posts) -
@iAmJohn said:

Kind of glad I didn't buy this for the TF2 mask after all.

Same here, though, I was offly tempted.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.