Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

From Dust

Game » consists of 5 releases. Released Jul 27, 2011

As a benevolent god known as 'the Breath', players must lead their people to safety and help them retrieve the lost knowledge of their ancestors by manipulating the shape of the terrain of the world in this spiritual successor to Populous.

Ubisoft and DRM

phrali

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By phrali

i had no intention of ever playing Driver San Francisco, and i'm not even a PC gamer, but reading about their DRM policies makes me want to never buy another one of their products again, even when it's a completely unrelated XBLA release with no DRM chains on it. 

does that make sense at all? am i just too easily offended?

also still pissed at them for releasing RSV2 with the same endless machine gun sound glitch that was in RSV1.

EuanDewar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#2  Edited By EuanDewar

I say this without a hint of sarcasm or any sort of implied jape.

That endless machine gun glitch made that game better.

louiedog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#3  Edited By louiedog

Don't punish the hard working developers and yourself by missing out on what might be a great game that's unrelated to another problem you see. What you should do is just ignore the games with the restrictive DRM and tell Ubisoft that you're not buying it and why.

Samaritan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 4

#4  Edited By Samaritan

@louiedog said:

Don't punish the hard working developers and yourself by missing out on what might be a great game that's unrelated to another problem you see. What you should do is just ignore the games with the restrictive DRM and tell Ubisoft that you're not buying it and why.

This. Vote with your dollar but also use your brain. Ubi isn't going to have a very clear picture of the state of the PC market and its reaction to their draconian DRM scheme if they see a decline in sales across all their games and not just the DRM'd ones.

Legend

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 28

#5  Edited By Legend

I simply refuse to buy any game with "always-online" DRM no matter how good the game is.

ryanwho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By ryanwho

Their games are pirated a lot and they responded with DRM, and dumbass gamers respond to DRM by pirating even more. It takes two complete idiots to make this dance work.

scarace360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By scarace360
    @Progn0sticator said:

@louiedog said:

This. Vote with your dollar but also use your brain. Ubi isn't going to have a very clear picture of the state of the PC market and its reaction to their draconian DRM scheme if they see a decline in sales across all their games and not just the DRM'd ones.

what if instead of fixing there drm they just dont put games out on PC then?
    ryanwho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By ryanwho
    @scarace360 said:
    @Progn0sticator said:

@louiedog said:

All of their trailer footage comes from PC versions of games. They can't put "actual game footage" on their misleading trailers if there's no longer a PC version.
    scarace360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By scarace360
    @ryanwho said:
    @scarace360 said:
    @Progn0sticator said:

@louiedog said:

All of their trailer footage comes from PC versions of games. They can't put "actual game footage" on their misleading trailers if there's no longer a PC version.
    You have a great point. So what can i do other than buy the game if it has always online DRM!
    YoungFrey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By YoungFrey

I'm all in favor of boycotting whatever you want. But if you don't communicate to them why they will just think the game wasn't popular. Especially if you are boycotting peripheral games. As for punishing the devs of unoffending games from the same publisher, they chose to be be published by that company.

Tennmuerti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#11  Edited By Tennmuerti

@scarace360 said:

@ryanwho said:
    @scarace360 said:
    @Progn0sticator said:

@louiedog said:

what if instead of fixing there drm they just dont put games out on PC then?
    You have a great point. So what can i do other than buy the game if it has always online DRM!

Don't buy it, or wait to buy only after always online DRM is patched out.

Samaritan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Samaritan

@scarace360 said:

@Progn0sticator said:

@louiedog said:

what if instead of fixing there drm they just dont put games out on PC then?

I don't think it will come to that; even if many PC enthusiasts talk a big game about boycotts and what have you, the PC market is still viable for them even with a diminished revenue stream from those professing to avoid games with their counter intuitive DRM. Licensing costs from PC distribution platforms like Steam and D2D would have to go up considerably for a PC version of a release to not become profitable.

As is unfortunately the case with most anti-piracy measures, game players will slowly grow accustom and the complaints will die down. In the end the consumer will continue to buy and the consumer will continue to the be the one hurting the most from these measures.

phrali

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By phrali
    @louiedog said:
    i don't think we need to "vote with our wallets" on this one. they've known for a long time how we feel about DRM and they don't care.
    Sin4profit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 37

User Lists: 2

#14  Edited By Sin4profit

@phrali: Speaking of which, i can't play From Dust right now because i don't remember my Ubisoft Uplay Password, sent them my e-mail to give me my password...still haven't gotten an email from them...tried to register a new account, won't work because my e-mail is already in use...Fuck you Ubisoft.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.