Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

FTL: Faster Than Light

Game » consists of 4 releases. Released Sep 14, 2012

In this roguelike space sim, players are tasked with commanding a customized starship on an important mission through a randomized universe, with vile rebels nipping at their heels.

AI hitting multiple rooms with one laser

jacoba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By jacoba

I've been playing a lot recently and one thing is starting to annoy me to the point where I want to stop playing. It seems the AI has the ability to direct each shot of the laser to different rooms, which will cause a lot of damage across my whole ship. I read the wiki and I can't seem to find anything about this for the player, am I missing something or is this a special laser that I haven't been able to find yet. Its really starting to suck to loose all of my major systems from one laser volley.

Sticky_Pennies

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

#2  Edited By Sticky_Pennies

There are two different kinds of lasers. Beams and, well, lasers. I think that's right.

Beams can go across multiple rooms, and there's even ones that don't do damage but set the rooms on fire. However, beams cannot punch through shields.

Lasers go pew-pew and hit one spot, damaging one single area more, but they can punch through shields.

I hope that answered your question... ):?

chrjz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#3  Edited By chrjz

It is for the player as well. I got one while playing today.

StarvingGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 25

#4  Edited By StarvingGamer
    Fredchuckdave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#5  Edited By Fredchuckdave

If he's not talking about beams, the rest of the AI's weaponry is randomly targetted; there's no rhyme or reason to it so it comes down to luck what rooms get hit at what time and your ability to respond to this is an important factor of skill though there are quite a few situations you just can't get out of; the micromanagement is reasonably stressful but ultimately not super difficult for anyone who's played an RTS or what have you.

Edit: Beams are decent enough for the player; Burst Laser 2/Hull Laser 2/Pegasus/Breach Missiles are all better. But if you find a powerful beam (Glaive/Halberd) randomly in sector one or two you might as well use it (or if your ship layout starts with one). Oh right, Ion Bomb is easily the best single weapon in the game though you'd want multiples of Burst Laser 2 in an ideal situation.

Levio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#6  Edited By Levio

Oh I get it. He is using the laser which shoots 2 bursts at one room, and the enemy is using 2 lasers which each shoot 1 burst. That's why he's confused, because they're different weapons.

jacoba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By jacoba

I know beams are different, I'm talking about the 'bolt' style laser

@Levio: [Edit: Just re-read your post and no, its all coming from one weapon.] Yes but that's not whats happening, it's not a beam it's a laser and each 'bolt' hits a different room, so it causes a lot more widespread damage then just hitting one subsystem.

@Chrjz: If you ever get it again please let us know the name of it :)

PS: By volley in the first post I mean volley from one weapon, not all the weapons

StarvingGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 25

#8  Edited By StarvingGamer

If you're 100% sure it's a single laser-style weapon that is somehow hitting multiple rooms with a single volley, then your game is freaking out. I have never seen anything like that.

Levio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#9  Edited By Levio

@jacoba: You are using 1 of your 4 weapons, he is using at least 2 of his weapons. Just buy another laser.

jacoba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By jacoba

Alright I made a video of this happening, You can see the laser on the left of the slug ship fire three shots that hit multiple rooms, one the shield, one the life support and the last hits my sensors. This is all from one laser, you can see the color of the bolts are all the same.

EVO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#11  Edited By EVO

Yeah, that's a bug.

jacoba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By jacoba

@EVO: I just wonder if anyone else has seen it, I should have the latest build from steam so I just don't know how wide spread it might be.

Melkor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Melkor

Yeah I got the same thing happening, 4 shots from 1 laser all directed at different rooms, it has happend to me from when I got the game so I'm not sure it's a bug. Thought it was a balancing thing to make the AI a little better. EDIT lol this post is 5 years old woops

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.