Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

FTL: Faster Than Light

Game » consists of 4 releases. Released Sep 14, 2012

In this roguelike space sim, players are tasked with commanding a customized starship on an important mission through a randomized universe, with vile rebels nipping at their heels.

Back in the Captain's Chair

gamer_152

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 71

User Lists: 6

Edited By gamer_152  Moderator
    A familiar sight.
    A familiar sight.

FTL is nothing if not a unique beast. When trying to classify it under any existing category “strategy” or “roguelike” are the best fits, but the game is far from characteristic of these genres. Perhaps more than being defined by any traditional gameplay template, FTL is defined by the common sci-fi themes it attempts to translate into video game form, the sense of being the captain of a lone and solitary ship in the blankness of space and venturing into the unknown to find unusual alien races, innocents in trouble, fantastic technologies, and unforeseen dangers.

There is a sense of control that comes with commanding your crew, and a feeling of empowerment after upgrading your ship with a particularly useful bit of kit and seeing it in action. FTL hinted at the idea that there was much more to be done with procedurally-generated loot-driven games than just producing dungeon crawlers, and at least in my experience it was one of the games most adept at creating emergent narratives. I wanted to tell those stories of how I managed to rack up seven different crew members aboard my vessel, picking them up from remote alien colonies, or how my ship went down in a blaze of glory trying to fight off the rebel fleet. Personally though I found a lot of the flaws of other roguelikes were present in FTL and that the game didn’t have the longevity of many other games of its species.

Glitches in the System

I guess I didn't find enough guns.
    I guess I didn't find enough guns.

How far you get in the game is largely a product of how lucky you are with the opportunities you get to pick up new crew and ship parts, and how lucky you are in which lethal dangers you just happen to avoid. That’s kind of the thing about venturing into the unknown, there’s only so much you can plan for it when you don’t know what’s coming, and you lack some degree of agency in what happens to you. That goes double when we’re talking about strategy games as opposed to action games.

In something like Spelunky or The Binding of Isaac, even when haven’t gotten anything like the items you wanted during your run there’s still the chance that through your own skills in hand-eye coordination, risk estimation, spacial awareness, etc. you can make it through. Even in many other strategy games, the depth and variety of options often means that the tactical thinker can play off the enemy’s weaknesses and overcome any opposition. FTL however is more about butting equipment against equipment and seeing who comes out on top. Sometimes this is an invigorating experience as you see your lasers, drones, or whatever else you may have bolted onto your hull blazing through the enemy’s defences and wreaking havoc with their systems, but it also means that there’s only so much you can actually do to decide the outcome of a battle. This is a particular problem when the game can be so punishing, especially during the final sector. There is also only so much the game can do in the way of variation.

The pre-determined nature of FTL shows.
    The pre-determined nature of FTL shows.

Procedural generation and high difficulty, both traits which FTL possesses, are capable of lending games replayability, and FTL is obviously going for the replayability angle. However, specific story scenarios, also something FTL is full of, generally don’t lend as much replayability and so you end up with a clash of components in the game. The allure of jumping back in to see how far you can get and what kind of situations you’ll encounter invites you to keep hitting "Restart", but there’s only so many times you can see the exact same events in different configurations and it still feel like something new. These aspects also undermine the idea of it really being the unknown you’re venturing into and diminish how emergent the narratives feel. I don’t believe lack of replayability in a game is by default a bad thing, but it was a major influence in how exactly I interacted with FTL in comparison to other games. It’s not just the story though, the combat in FTL easily becomes repetitive, and that might be a genuine problem. The fight system is far from derivative and yet is fantastically easy to pick up as a new player, but part of the reason it was so easy to get a handle on was that it isn’t particularly deep.

When you are in a pinch, battles can get frantic and tense as you rush to put out fires and repair your ship, all the while still trying to hold your own against some marauding pirate vessel or overzealous law-enforcement. A lot of what attacking other ships boils down to however is just aiming at a ship section or two and letting your vessel fire away, maybe changing your target once or twice during the battle. I had so many skirmishes which just consisted of locking on to the enemy shield unit, waiting for my ship to finish wailing on it, collecting my scrap, and leaving. Very fun in the short term, but its not a particularly enduring way to conduct combat. You could argue that perhaps the game could be appreciated as a more passive form of engagement, a fun little program you mess with while the other half of your brain concentrates on listening to a podcast or half-watching a TV show, and some of the time it can be that, but this argument is weakened by the fact that even on “Easy” there is always a point at which the game demands a high level of focus and involvement from the player. FTL Advanced Edition however represents at least a small resurgence for the game, presenting itself as the “definitive” FTL and being offered free to existing players.

Retrofitting

The Lanius appear.
    The Lanius appear.

You should know that Advanced Edition doesn’t aim to change any of those aspects of the first game I just talked about, they’re too deeply ingrained in what FTL is. Instead its goals are to expand the content of the original and add a few new features to the game which let you subvert and twist some of the existing rules of play in interesting new ways. There’s a few new events sprinkled throughout the sectors but the stand-out moments of the update come courtesy of the Abandoned Sectors and the species that inhabits them, the Lanius. The Lanius are a technologically-focused people with ships to match. Their vessels are modelled like chrome insects with sleek metal wings stretching out from their fortified hulls, and while like all the races, they can be a useful ally at times, the Lanius are appropriately cold and creepy. Not only are they metal people piloting metal ships in an inhospitable part of the universe, but they are also able to survive without oxygen and drain air from any room they’re stood in. They’re just part of how you can begin to play with those gameplay systems in odd ways.

Some of the other new changes you can make to your ship, besides dropping in a suffocating organic robot, include adding a mind control room, building in hacking facilities, or getting a clone bay. The mind control is exactly what it sounds like, allowing you to distract some poor shmuck on the opposing ship from their assigned task and making them attack the room they’re in. Hacking does something a little different depending on which room of the opposing ship you target with it, but it generally makes ship components do the opposite of what they’re supposed to or stops them functioning for a limited time. For example, you can hack your enemy’s shield unit to make it slowly sap the ship’s shields instead of power them, or hack their medbay to make it hurt crew instead of heal them. You can even hack their hacking module to stop them hacking you.

All is fair in space-fairing and war.
    All is fair in space-fairing and war.

Then there’s the clone bay, which acts as a replacement for your medbay. Obviously, with your medbay gone there’s no readily available treatment for your crew should they become hurt, but if they die the clone bay can resurrect them and will restore just a tiny amount of health to them with each jump. In classic sci-fi fashion the clone bay is too good to be true however. Seeing defeated characters pop back to life in the blink of an eye makes you feel like you’ve cheated death, but each clone comes back with less experience in each station than their predecessor. This isn’t a problem early on, but later into the game it means that if you can’t keep your crew alive you still end up paying a price as valuable extra boosts for certain stations go down the drain. Of course, none of these new tools constitute a complete trump card either. While you can use hacking or clones to try and mess with your enemies, many ships are capable of doing the same to you.

You should keep in mind that these are just the main modifications which you can add to your space-faring vessel, there are plenty of cool new weapons and some other equipment as well like cannons which have a slower cooldown with each firing or AoE guns, and it feels like the developers have made some genuinely creative and fun additions. These new parts successfully adapt more classic sci-fi tropes into gameplay form, and while no one part of your ship is going to be the be-all and end-all in combat, the new ship parts allow you to play with the mechanics in a way that feels like you’re getting one over on the enemy. There are also some other new rules for the gameplay which improve the experience. To mention just a couple, firing at a room on an enemy ship can stun those inside that room, and it’s now possible to save which stations your crew are currently assigned to and hit the “Enter” key later to see them all satisfyingly snap back to their places after they’ve been scrambled.

What's old is new again.
    What's old is new again.

More than any of the new features in themselves however, what’s given me the most enjoyment is just having an excuse to go back and experience all the best things about FTL all over again. Eventually I know I’ll get bored with the game and the sheen of it all will fade just like it did the first time around, but FTL Advanced Edition has been a reminder that one the best things about expansion packs, DLC, and updates is that they’re often not just presenting new something in and of themselves, but that they also offer the chance to once again interact with those fundamental aspects of the game that we enjoyed so much in the first place. Thanks for reading.

nightriff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 7

#1  Edited By nightriff

This was extremely well written and enjoyed it a lot as someone who has put in a lot of time in the new expansion. And I do agree with you in that some parts have to little variation and its very frustrating. Today I decided to do a all fire run where my ship build was to bring shields down and watch the world burn and it was highly effective until the final boss where it goes into AI mode and thus my fire doesn't do anything to it anymore and I had to wait for the ship blow me up. Essentially I have to have a secondary solution to destroy the ending boss because my main solution, no matter how effective it was for the entire game, is then rendered useless. I was very disappointed by this discovery as the entire game is pretty open ended in how to travel and engage combat, to basically go sorry federation, I wasn't anticipating a AI that isn't hurt by ion and fire.

Evilsbane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 0

Good write up, honestly my favorite thing about AE has to be some of the new music, downright AMAZING some of these redone tracks make me just stop playing and listen.

ArbitraryWater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 66

It seems you and I have had similar experiences with FTL, right up to the Advanced Edition content reinvigorating my interest. I wouldn't call it essentially shallow, since each ship layout is geared towards a different approach. It's the unlocking that hangs me up. I've played the game for almost 50 hours and yet have never been able to unlock the Mantis and Slug cruisers (yet somehow I have the crystal ship). That becomes something of an exercise in frustration on its own. And don't forget the final boss either.

Still, in the pantheon of roguelikelikelikes, FTL has consumed the most amount of time. That comes from me being awful at Spelunky and actively hating a lot of the aesthetic in Binding of Isaac, but even among actual roguelikes (i.e. Dungeons of Dredmor, Tales of Maj-Eyjal) it's the one that has managed to consistently grab my attention.

majormitch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 119

User Lists: 31

Nice write-up! Games like FTL and Spelunky are things I like at the very basic level, but the randomness of events always ends up frustrating me. In FTL in particular, I always felt very dependent on the sequence of events and items I encountered, which could sometimes make the game feel like a waste of time, like I wasn't able to learn or get better on my own without relying on circumstance. All of the buzz about this update is making want to give it another legitimate shot though...

On another note, regardless of my other thoughts on the game, I think FTL has incredible music, and I'm really excited to hear the new songs :)

Ben_H

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

Good write up, honestly my favorite thing about AE has to be some of the new music, downright AMAZING some of these redone tracks make me just stop playing and listen.

Yup, it is sooo good.

I unlocked the Lanius ship today. It is so good. Like borderline unfair. You are basically immune to intruders as long as you ferry all your oxygen needing dudes as far from the intruders as possible and then open all doors but the room your oxygen-needing dudes are in. The Lanius suck all the air out of the room they are in so you can usually simply suffocate intruders. The ship is great too. You hack their shields, disable them about 2 seconds before your weapons fire, target all weapons on shields, and then kill them because they are now defenceless. I did that all the way to the final boss. I lost trying to get repaired. I survived 2 jumps on one health but died the jump before a store that would have fully repaired me and let me beat the final version of the boss ship.

Tennmuerti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Tennmuerti

I have to once again disagree that in FTL you are too reliant on luck to proceed rather then on your own skills. This sentiment gets repeated so often and it just rubs me the wrong way each time.

There is skill to FTL to knowing it's systems the ins and outs, to using them and eventually exploiting them. You can compensate with skill and strategy for almost any but the worst of runs, just like you can in Speunky or Isaac. That's what the skill is in FTL, it's being able to adopt to the rng that the game throws at you. Anyone can win with a mantis boarding crew, but being able to do so without any boarding, no drones and no direct damage weapons is still possible; or no direct weapons; or no cloak, etc. When you are there you can consistently win normal runs. Just like someone can consistently get to Yama, but occasionally the luck isn't in their favor, or they miss a beat.

Fredchuckdave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#7  Edited By Fredchuckdave

@tennmuerti: FTL is a little less random than it was before thanks to hacking/mind control being ridiculous and shops having more stuff in them; but luck is still a much larger factor than in other "roguelites" though generally less cruel than actual roguelikes. Also there's hard which is the new normal, normal is now easy, easy is very easy, and you're a pansy for not playing hard all the time.

Tennmuerti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Tennmuerti

@fredchuckdave: Huh good to know,didn't realise they shifted the difficulty settings. I am getting back into the groove after quite a long time away as well as learning the new systems atm. I'll ramp it up to hard in a bit then.

While were here, is there any good way to counter an enemy hacking drone? Aside from disabling their hacking module that is. Had a nasty (but eventually victorious) tussle with the boss once when he kept disabling all my weapons and stealthing interchangeably, making me unable to fire any weapon shots at all (didn't have drones, mc or a good boarding crew that run)

Arabes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

@tennmuerti: I agree with you man, FTL isn't about luck, it's about flexibility. If you are waiting to get a specific build, you're doing it wrong. The skill in FTL comes from being able to use the tools at your disposal to win the battle regardless.

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

#10  Edited By Justin258

When I played FTL, it felt less like a strategy game and more like a pre-KOTOR Bioware game. Perhaps it's just the pause-and-play, and perhaps I didn't play enough of it, but that's what it reminded of.

I only read your first paragraph and thought I should muddle its genre a little bit more before going back to work.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.