Beat it on easy, figured i'd share some tips (spoilers)

#1 Posted by Bio2hazard (144 posts) -

I just beat the game on easy and I figured I'd post some tips that I picked up on.

The hardest part seems to be the last boss. It's a 3 stage boss fight that gets progressively...different. But there is a few things you can do to make the last fight more managable.

Namely, try to get:

Cloak level 3 ( the cloaked firing module is not required ). Cloak is immensely useful, probably the most useful thing in the entire game. The reason for that is that enemy weapon systems generally don't charge while you are cloaked. If a volley is incoming while you cloak - no problem, cloak adds 60% to your dodge ( which, combined with your engine upgrades and pilot, should result in 100% dodge ). Your weapons however, keep charging up. Drones won't fire on you either.

Boarding Drone. If you pick the Kestrel and pick up the drone system fairly late, you end up with something like 20+ drone parts. Shooting a boarding drone seems to always hit ( unless they have a defensive drone, or health-bar shield !! ), guarantees a breach and kicks their crews ass - also no cooldown or anything. As soon as it dies, just fire the next. As a added bonus, it can be used while cloaked without adversely affecting your cloak duration.

A way of beating through a level 4 shield without relying on missiles. If you are fairly missile oriented, there is a chance that you get utterly boned on stage 2 of the boss fight, as he uses a level 4 shield + a level 2 defensive drone which shoots down both lasers and missiles at a annoyingly fast speed. I had the starting burst laser lv 2 as well as a hull laser level 2 and the starting rocket launcher. I had to fire all 3 weapon systems simultaneously ( as well as the boarding drone ) and i'd barely get 1 hit in on the shield and the boarding drone to land.

As for the actual strategy, everytime the enemy uses a special attack, make sure to cloak. Generally, try to cloak as much as you can ( preferably right after you fire a volley - so they your weapons can recharge without danger ). You can avoid the majority of damage using cloak. The stage 2 boss fight has a special attack where he releases like 5 additional drones for a few seconds - cloak avoids that entirely.

Keep your boarding robot active on their ship, and focus on bringing down their level 4 shield first and foremost.

Good luck ! I hope these tips helped. I wish I knew about all this before hand, as it renders some builds useless ( or rather, unwinnable ).

#2 Posted by Dredlockz (343 posts) -

Oh man, i had that same build, but I couldn't hold the third mothership iteration, couldn't get through those lifebar shields, and was out of rockets.

Do you have any tips on the last stand map? I've tried to save the "repair" nodes until after fights, but it seems they get taken over by the bad guys pretty fast if you skip them.

#3 Posted by Bio2hazard (144 posts) -

@Dredlockz: I couldn't really come up with a good strategy for the last stand map either, due to it's rampant RNG. Last time I played on it, all the repair stations were at the top while the boss was approaching from the bottom. Visiting a repair station repairs your ship, but also gives you a small amount of ressources.

Thus, I would say that the best strategy would be to hit up a few that are close to your base to get the extra ressources, then head down to where the boss is and - if you are lucky and have repair stations near the boss, use them to recover during the bosses phases. :/ But of course, this is not at all guaranteed. I kind of wish the last stand map had the repair stations placed in a non-random fashion so you can ensure to at least have one nearby to heal up between boss forms.. but then, the game is all about RNG so eh.

#4 Posted by Zaccheus (1788 posts) -

I haven't beaten it (got to stage 3 once) but hull repair drones are also awesome because if you save up 20+ drones for the boss you can basically repair your ship after every stage. Best way to ensure this is to get the augmentation that lets you collect non destroyed drones after a battle and also visit at least 2 repair stations before facing the boss. Hull repair drones take 2 energy and repair your hull 3-5 points and can be used in or out of battle as many times as you like without any kind of cooldown.

#5 Edited by Bio2hazard (144 posts) -

Yeah ! Definitely a good tip. I just beat the boss again on easy ( after getting my balls utterly crushed in normal a couple of times ) using the Osprey federation cruiser.

My loadout actually was completely different, but I managed to pull through fairly easilly, though I attribute that mostly to the Ospey's special ability which is crazy.

I had a Burst Laser II, Burst Laser II and Heavy Laser I for weapon systems. I couldn't find a good rocket launcher or Ion Weapon, but it actually worked out really well. Firing a full volley of burst lasers followed by a single heavy laser shot usually meant at least 2 shots would go through the shield and damage systems. Combined with the ospreys special beam weapon ( which you should max out ! It's awesome! ), almost all of the bosses systems were heavilly damaged.

The fight didn't last long at all and the boss didn't manage to do alot of damage to me.

Drone wise, I had a defense drone 2 which helped a lot and a repair drone, as well as 20+ drones parts. I was actually sitting on 50+ missiles but ... yeah, never found a launcher.

I definitely feel that the Osprey ( you unlock it by beating the boss on any difficulty ) is a upgrade to the Kestrel.

#6 Posted by Deathpooky (1380 posts) -

I took him down with a the two Burst Laser II's, a Hull Laser II, and the starting missile launcher. Also used a Defense drone and an Anti-Ship drone to get some extra damage / shield reduction. Target his shields and fire everything at once and I could punch through to start doing real damage. Cloak level II to pop whenever he fired off something big. I was also generally loaded beyond all that - full shields, near full engine (that I was forced to knock down during battle), improved blast doors to deal with the drones, etc.

Even then it was crazy managing it all. I had a couple guys die off to fire / hull breaches, I was constantly trying to put fires out, get things repaired, and fire off as much as possible at all times. I imagine I got somewhat lucky in that none of my major systems got completely knocked offline at anytime, but it got hairy once or twice with anti-personnel drones wandering around and my engine and shield rooms on fire.

Like most roguelikes, it's partly skill, but mostly luck in getting enough resources / good items along the way to get you equipped to deal with him. If you don't have enough weapons to deal a ton of damage quickly, or shields/cloak/engine to stay alive more than 10 seconds, then it's impossible.

#7 Posted by Freezer_Burn (207 posts) -

My only tip is don't kill the entire enemy crew. When I came across that situation, the ship's AI took over and made it harder than if I had left the last enemy alive.

I haven't killed it, but the build that got me the farthest, was completely alien to how I regularly played. I used the Rock Ship and focused mostly on defensive upgrades; getting powerful shields, engines, and a max cloak. Almost all of my damage was through my two-man boarding party (a Mantis, and Crystal). I had a fairly decent array of weapons (Basic Missile, Burst 2 Laser, and an Ion). Besides the lack of Hull Repair drones, my only downfall was the unexpected AI takeover.

#8 Posted by pyrodactyl (1890 posts) -

@Freezer_Burn said:

My only tip is don't kill the entire enemy crew. When I came across that situation, the ship's AI took over and made it harder than if I had left the last enemy alive.

I haven't killed it, but the build that got me the farthest, was completely alien to how I regularly played. I used the Rock Ship and focused mostly on defensive upgrades; getting powerful shields, engines, and a max cloak. Almost all of my damage was through my two-man boarding party (a Mantis, and Crystal). I had a fairly decent array of weapons (Basic Missile, Burst 2 Laser, and an Ion). Besides the lack of Hull Repair drones, my only downfall was the unexpected AI takeover.

Did it agains the AI, what was so hard about it? System auto repair is kind of a pain but leaving 1 guy alive just to cheese it wouldn't have been really sporting don't you think?

As long as you keep the shield down with missiles on the third form and you survived the second form you're going to make it. Using a boarding party to take down the weapons is a +.

#9 Posted by Ravenlight (8040 posts) -

Ion weapons FTW. My most recent win (on Normal difficulty, too) was almost trivial due to the fact that I lucked into three Ion Cannons and a repair drone.

It's also tons more expensive, but if you max your Shield and Engine subsystems, the only thing you need to worry about is rockets and boarders. The former being easily dealt with by Defense Drones, and the latter can be handled with smart tactics (soften boarders up by venting O2, fight in the Medbay, or switch out wounded teammates for fresh ones.).

#10 Posted by Chaser324 (6331 posts) -

Yeah, I managed to get to phase two of that boss battle on my second run...but I had absolutely no chance with the loadout I had at that point.

#11 Posted by EquitasInvictus (2007 posts) -

Wait, is playing on normal for my first playthrough a suicide mission?

#12 Posted by Rowr (5485 posts) -

@EquitasInvictus said:

Yes.

Yes it is.

#13 Posted by Dredlockz (343 posts) -

@Rowr said:

@EquitasInvictus said:

Yes.

Yes it is.

Finally finished it on easy, after like 20 hours playing the game.

The stars need to align big-time for you to win.

#14 Posted by Rowr (5485 posts) -

@Dredlockz said:

@Rowr said:

@EquitasInvictus said:

Yes.

Yes it is.

Finally finished it on easy, after like 20 hours playing the game.

The stars need to align big-time for you to win.

I got to the boss once, and i was woefully outgunned. Seems like you do need a lot of luck throughout.

On normal i'm lucky to make it three sectors.

#15 Posted by pyrodactyl (1890 posts) -
@Rowr

@EquitasInvictus said:

Yes.

Yes it is.

On the other end, playing on easy will make you soft. It's ok to die since there's a part of luck and you need experience with the game to beat the boss.
#16 Posted by Ravenlight (8040 posts) -

@pyrodactyl said:

@Rowr

@EquitasInvictus said:

Yes.

Yes it is.

On the other end, playing on easy will make you soft. It's ok to die since there's a part of luck and you need experience with the game to beat the boss.

I feel like the difficulty levels should be changed to Hard and Harder, respectively. FTL will kick my ass no matter what difficulty I play. Though sometimes the stars will come into alignment and I'll get a great run.

I think that how one does in the first three or so sectors has the biggest impact on the rest of the game. If I haven't significantly expanded my crew, weapons, and subsystems by the time sector four rolls around, it's almost worth it to just restart. Almost ;)

#17 Posted by pyrodactyl (1890 posts) -
@Ravenlight I feel like the key is to explore en gather as much scrap as possible in each system before the fleet catchs up. In my winning run I collected about 1700 scrap if i remember correctly. I spent every last piece and every upgrade was a factor in the battle agains the boss.

I was not that lucky either, I got a halberg and a breach missile launcher. Got some useless crap to, 4 heal bomb launchers, 3 or 4 crew members I had to dismise because i didn t lose anyone.
#18 Posted by Rowr (5485 posts) -

@Ravenlight said:

@pyrodactyl said:

@Rowr

@EquitasInvictus said:

Yes.

Yes it is.

I feel like the difficulty levels should be changed to Hard and Harder, respectively. FTL will kick my ass no matter what difficulty I play. Though sometimes the stars will come into alignment and I'll get a great run.

I think that how one does in the first three or so sectors has the biggest impact on the rest of the game. If I haven't significantly expanded my crew, weapons, and subsystems by the time sector four rolls around, it's almost worth it to just restart. Almost ;)

I think there is definitely room for a difficulty level below easy, for a more casual playthrough.

I'm finding upgrading some of the basic ship stuff early rather than saving for store upgrades is helping for a playthrough with more longevity, you definitely need to seek out trouble everytime you are in good shape to keep the scrap coming in.

This is definitely a game that requires putting some hours in and playing with different strategies to succeed though, fantastically addictive.

#19 Posted by Ravenlight (8040 posts) -

@Rowr said:

I think there is definitely room for a difficulty level below easy, for a more casual playthrough.

I'm finding upgrading some of the basic ship stuff early rather than saving for store upgrades is helping for a playthrough with more longevity, you definitely need to seek out trouble everytime you are in good shape to keep the scrap coming in.

This is definitely a game that requires putting some hours in and playing with different strategies to succeed though, fantastically addictive.

In the same vein, I wish I could keep playing after I beat the boss. An infinite, randomly-generated map where you're not being chased anymore would be super-fun.

#20 Posted by EquitasInvictus (2007 posts) -

Well gee, now I don't feel bad about all the times I died on normal!

I love this game, though! Hopefully we see more like it in the not-so-distant future, I'd really love an endless mode

#21 Posted by Rowr (5485 posts) -

@Ravenlight said:

@Rowr said:

In the same vein, I wish I could keep playing after I beat the boss. An infinite, randomly-generated map where you're not being chased anymore would be super-fun.

I agree, It wouldn't be hard to throw in a deeper story mode with varied quests integrated into it, the ability to upgrade to bigger better ships throughout the same game mode/playthrough.

Not to say i wouldn't keep the current game mode, i think it's pretty well done and the difficulty keeps it compelling.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.