Great game

  • 79 results
  • 1
  • 2
#51 Posted by Pie (7095 posts) -

@Iodine said:

So I was not able to play last night but I watched a few different let's plays, and I have a question

does having multiple people in say the shields room grant you an extra bonus to just having the one?

I don't think so no. Only one guy can man the terminal in each room.

#52 Posted by BisonHero (6494 posts) -
@Iodine

So I was not able to play last night but I watched a few different let's plays, and I have a question

does having multiple people in say the shields room grant you an extra bonus to just having the one?

Nope. You generally want to designate one person per room instead of moving them around. That way, one guy gradually gets better at his shield skill, another at his piloting skill, etc.
The only reason you'd want more than one person in a room is to repair it faster when it gets hit.
#53 Posted by Pie (7095 posts) -

@BisonHero said:

@Iodine

So I was not able to play last night but I watched a few different let's plays, and I have a question

does having multiple people in say the shields room grant you an extra bonus to just having the one?

Nope. You generally want to designate one person per room instead of moving them around. That way, one guy gradually gets better at his shield skill, another at his piloting skill, etc. The only reason you'd want more than one person in a room is to repair it faster when it gets hit.

Or if you have a Zoltan (?) who partially power whichever room you are in

#54 Posted by Iodine (547 posts) -

@Pie said:

@BisonHero said:

@Iodine

So I was not able to play last night but I watched a few different let's plays, and I have a question

does having multiple people in say the shields room grant you an extra bonus to just having the one?

Nope. You generally want to designate one person per room instead of moving them around. That way, one guy gradually gets better at his shield skill, another at his piloting skill, etc. The only reason you'd want more than one person in a room is to repair it faster when it gets hit.

Or if you have a Zoltan (?) who partially power whichever room you are in

Thanks duders

#55 Posted by ervonymous (1297 posts) -

Man, I was kicking ass with the Engi ship in the last encounter on normal but miscalculated the jumps needed for a final pit stop and the flagship got to the base.

I love how every approach I've tried so far has seemed valid, be it drones, ion cannons, lasers or beams. Or all of them.

#56 Posted by 8Bit_Archer (452 posts) -

yeah this one looks amazing haven't picked it up yet...believe it or not...my gaming budget want allow it this month(already spent it all on XCOM:EU)...with two kids I have to be strict on how much i spend on gaming....Maybe I can pick it up next month...Also would really like to see a quick look

#57 Posted by Loafsmooch (349 posts) -

I just love this game. Reminds me a lot of a XBL indie game called Flotilla, but that game wasn't nearly as polished or fun as this.

Ion cannons seem a bit OP btw, being able to shutdown their shields/weapons from the first shot.

#58 Posted by ArbitraryWater (11719 posts) -

I've said it in another topic, but this game is pretty rad. I've only unlocked 3 ships, and while the Engi ship seems pretty great with its ion cannon and drones, the stealth ship seems generally kind of crummy due to not having a shield, with the cloak not making up for that at all. Either way, I only got to the final boss once and got crushed.

#59 Posted by Iodine (547 posts) -

In my first two plays I have not gotten an ion cannon :sigh:

The cannons only disable they do not cause damage of their own right?

#60 Posted by Pie (7095 posts) -

@Iodine said:

In my first two plays I have not gotten an ion cannon :sigh:

The cannons only disable they do not cause damage of their own right?

Yep.

#61 Posted by Iodine (547 posts) -

Thanks man.

#62 Posted by PillClinton (3291 posts) -

@warxsnake said:

I'm kind of a noob at it though, even on Easy I have yet to finish it. Coop would have been cool, different players managing different parts of a much larger multi-floor capital ship

Agreed, coop would be awesome, maybe it'll get added by a mod or patch one day... maybe. And yeah, even Easy has proven to be a bit difficult.

@kerikxi said:

Yeah, this game is pretty amazing, especially for ten bucks. It feels especially polished for an indie game. Hope the guys do a quicklook of it.

Indeed, well-made all around. I'm glad this got Kickstarted--definitely well-deserved. The buzz is pretty crazy for this game on Twitter too. Hopefully that expands the audience a bit. Also hope to see a QL as well, and if Brad's tweets are any indication, he'd likely helm it.

#63 Posted by TheSouthernDandy (3865 posts) -

Just spent a few hours playing this. Love it, seems sorta basic at first but once it gets its hooks in you it's hard to stop playing.

#64 Posted by Dalai (7028 posts) -

I am not sure what this game is, but my Twitter feed is filled with people playing it so... it's probably pretty damn good.

#65 Posted by BisonHero (6494 posts) -

@Loafsmooch said:

I just love this game. Reminds me a lot of a XBL indie game called Flotilla, but that game wasn't nearly as polished or fun as this.

Ion cannons seem a bit OP btw, being able to shutdown their shields/weapons from the first shot.

Yeah, the map structure is very reminiscent of Flotilla (which I think was developed by a single dude?). However, I stopped liking Flotilla EXTREMELY quickly, because there's like maybe 20 different events compared to the dozens in FTL. Also each attempt in Flotilla is on an absurdly short time limit because your main character has a terminal illness for no particular reason. And the combat is frustrating because your starting ship sucks pretty hard.

FTL is basically what I wanted Flotilla to be.

@ArbitraryWater said:

I've said it in another topic, but this game is pretty rad. I've only unlocked 3 ships, and while the Engi ship seems pretty great with its ion cannon and drones, the stealth ship seems generally kind of crummy due to not having a shield, with the cloak not making up for that at all. Either way, I only got to the final boss once and got crushed.

Yeah, the stealth ship is complete bullshit. I don't care if it starts with cloaking, slightly higher dodge, and that armor plating that has a 15% chance to negate damage (in the beta it was 25%, no fucking idea why they nerfed it). None of that matters: no shields is a death sentence. The stealth ship effectively starts at -150 scrap, because you need to hoard scrap and buy a shield system as soon as you goddamn can, because the game just isn't playable without one. At first glance, I thought "OK, so this ship is sort of like a thief/rogue who travels light and tries to dodge really well", but no, that style is not the least bit viable. YOU NEED A FUCKING SHIELD ASAP.

Also, because you start without a shield, saving up to buy one will be tough, because you will take ALL OF THE DAMAGE and have to pay to repair yourself constantly. So it's more like you start at something like -200 scrap.

#66 Posted by Catlicker (171 posts) -

Real time sinker. Tried to "test" it, made it to the fifth system. Much better than it looks like on screenshots!

#67 Posted by Loafsmooch (349 posts) -

@BisonHero said:

@Loafsmooch said:

I just love this game. Reminds me a lot of a XBL indie game called Flotilla, but that game wasn't nearly as polished or fun as this.

Ion cannons seem a bit OP btw, being able to shutdown their shields/weapons from the first shot.

Yeah, the map structure is very reminiscent of Flotilla (which I think was developed by a single dude?). However, I stopped liking Flotilla EXTREMELY quickly, because there's like maybe 20 different events compared to the dozens in FTL. Also each attempt in Flotilla is on an absurdly short time limit because your main character has a terminal illness for no particular reason. And the combat is frustrating because your starting ship sucks pretty hard.

FTL is basically what I wanted Flotilla to be.

My thoughts exactly. Yup, it was developed by one dude. You can disable the time limit by choosing the hardcore option, IIRC, but even then, you'd run out of systems to explore after a while so it didn't help much. I really enjoyed the classical music during the battles though, such a nice touch.

#68 Posted by pyrodactyl (2014 posts) -
@BisonHero The stealth ship is allright. There's a let s play of a dude doing super well with it and making it to the flagship second form.

If you're looking for a crap ship, try the ship you get when you reach sector 5, layout B.

1 crew member, 2 crap weapons, 3 personel drones to replace your missing crew.
#69 Posted by Ravenlight (8040 posts) -

I'm stoked about the positive response FTL seems to keep receiving because it's such a great game, and I love hearing people's epic takes of survival (or defeat).

I stayed up way too late last night beating the boss for a second time. This time, I was lucky enough to end up with three Ion Cannons by the end of the second sector and more Engi crew than I knew what to do with (anti-boarder fodder, it turned out). Nothing in my entire run gave me any trouble besides a few close-calls with boarders in the early sectors.

I managed to fully upgrade both my shields and engine, so the boss whiffed pretty much every shot in each form and my spare Engie crew quickly repaired any damage from lucky missile strikes. Even without the massive dodge boost, I had a repair drone which I used all of once to bring my ship's HP back to full. The only downside was how long it actually took to kill the damn thing because I still have the starter Beam Laser.

TL;DR: Ion Cannons are OP.

#70 Posted by Iodine (547 posts) -

@pyrodactyl said:

@BisonHero The stealth ship is allright. There's a let s play of a dude doing super well with it and making it to the flagship second form. If you're looking for a crap ship, try the ship you get when you reach sector 5, layout B. 1 crew member, 2 crap weapons, 3 personel drones to replace your missing crew.

How do you unlock the different layouts?

#71 Posted by Rowr (5624 posts) -

AMAZING GAME.

I'm getting destroyed repeatedly on normal mode though.

#72 Posted by pyrodactyl (2014 posts) -

@Iodine said:

@pyrodactyl said:

@BisonHero The stealth ship is allright. There's a let s play of a dude doing super well with it and making it to the flagship second form. If you're looking for a crap ship, try the ship you get when you reach sector 5, layout B. 1 crew member, 2 crap weapons, 3 personel drones to replace your missing crew.

How do you unlock the different layouts?

Complete ship specific achivements (2 out of 3 to unlock layout B). Achivements for ships are displayed in the hangar. The 3 for ship 2 are kinda easy but they unlock a shit layout.

#73 Posted by BisonHero (6494 posts) -

@Iodine said:

@pyrodactyl said:

@BisonHero The stealth ship is allright. There's a let s play of a dude doing super well with it and making it to the flagship second form. If you're looking for a crap ship, try the ship you get when you reach sector 5, layout B. 1 crew member, 2 crap weapons, 3 personel drones to replace your missing crew.

How do you unlock the different layouts?

When you're selecting your ship from the main menu, there should be 3 achievements on the left side. There are different ones for each ship, and once you've done 2 of them, you unlock an alternate room layout for that ship. So for example, the alternate Kestrel's outer hull is the same overall shape, but all the rooms on the inside are laid out differently with airlocks in different places, and also it has a different paint job. And it has different starting weapons and different starting crew.

The achievements for the Torus (the Engi ship) are quite easy to do, and I also found the achievements for the Osprey pretty easy. The other ones I've seen so far seem more restrictive or hard to pull off.

#74 Posted by rynbeed (143 posts) -

A friend let me "try" his copy of the game - I ended up buying it on steam just so I could see how many hours I will end up putting into the game myself.

This has been a ton of fun and will be an idle time game from for quite a while..>

#75 Posted by BisonHero (6494 posts) -

@pyrodactyl said:

@BisonHero The stealth ship is allright. There's a let s play of a dude doing super well with it and making it to the flagship second form. If you're looking for a crap ship, try the ship you get when you reach sector 5, layout B. 1 crew member, 2 crap weapons, 3 personel drones to replace your missing crew.

OK, so I've been playing FTL since like June because I was in the beta, and I got so frustrated by the stealth ship that I probably haven't used it since early July. So I tried it again tonight. It continues to be a pile of hot, burning garbage.

So let's see this Let's Play where fucking Jesus somehow makes that ship remotely useful, because it's a goddamn miracle if I even make it to like the 4th sector with the stealth ship. Starting with no shields is just the worst goddamn thing ever. Let's run down the list of scenarios where you are completely fucked (meaning you take like 10 damage from a single fight):

  • you are completely fucked any time you encounter an offensive drone (anti-ship drone or beam drone), since they have a high rate of fire, but are ultimately not a threat if you were to have a shield
  • you are completely fucked any time you encounter a Zoltan ship with its special shield, because with the starting weapons of the stealth ship you can't quickly break through it to damage their weapon systems, meaning they'll probably get to fire 1-2 volleys on you
  • you are completely fucked any time you encounter an enemy ship with a beam weapon, as they're guaranteed to hit and you're lacking the one thing that counters them

I rarely get mad at games, but I was cursing like a sailor and flipping my monitor the bird constantly during the 45 minutes I played the stealth ship earlier.

#76 Posted by Mustachio (242 posts) -

So I was trying to figure out what the main thing was that I felt they missed in this game, and then I remembered a little window that opens when you start a new game in Atom Zombie Smasher:

Basically what I'm saying is I'd go back to this game a lot more if it gave me the option to mess about with the variables a bit. I'd like to double or, hell, triple the number of sectors, and maybe throw in a few modifiers to even it out a bit. There is supposedly a mod community forming around this game so hopefully we'll end up with something like this, but if I'm going to replay FTL for reasons other than unlocking the four remaining ships and beating that awful as fuck end-boss, then I'd like some better ways to instantly warp the experience.

#77 Posted by NaDannMaGoGo (338 posts) -

After playing 4 hours now I have to say, I'm actually rather disappointed. I mean not necessarily because I don't feel I got my 9€ worth, but the game just doesn't really have much depths.

Especially during the Quicklook I got the impression "man, that game seems to be really deep". And yeh, it has quite a lot systems you have to learn at first... but that's kinda it. The aspects that are there are kinda shallow. I mean as far as crew goes you got like 5 different types, as far as their "leveling up" goes you will basically reach lvl 2 in the trait that you use them for, there are just a couple drone and weapon types and after just a few hours I kind of feel like I've seen almost everything?

I mean I'm not even interested in different ship designs or so because it doesn't feel like it would really add much diversity, considering how limited everything is.

Also, while I'm a huge fan of randomized stuff in games, not like this really. When I have to flip a coin every now and then to either get a nice boost or the fucking opposite, well where's the fun? Randomize an event where I may have to play clever or lose a lot. But "oh too bad, you just lost a crew member!" Urgh, terrible. If you encounter good events, get nice items etc. relies so much on luck, hell even hitting / getting hit is.

I could keep rambling on about it but yeh.

I like the concept, I understand that it's just a low budget 2 man game and that it just costs 9€. Despite that I just kinda wish I didn't play this and instead waited for FTL2, which would be the sequel these dudes can create after getting their money from this very well selling title. A game with the same basics but just much better content and depths-

#78 Posted by Peanut (954 posts) -

@NaDannMaGoGo said:

After playing 4 hours now I have to say, I'm actually rather disappointed. I mean not necessarily because I don't feel I got my 9€ worth, but the game just doesn't really have much depths.

Especially during the Quicklook I got the impression "man, that game seems to be really deep". And yeh, it has quite a lot systems you have to learn at first... but that's kinda it. The aspects that are there are kinda shallow. I mean as far as crew goes you got like 5 different types, as far as their "leveling up" goes you will basically reach lvl 2 in the trait that you use them for, there are just a couple drone and weapon types and after just a few hours I kind of feel like I've seen almost everything?

I mean I'm not even interested in different ship designs or so because it doesn't feel like it would really add much diversity, considering how limited everything is.

Also, while I'm a huge fan of randomized stuff in games, not like this really. When I have to flip a coin every now and then to either get a nice boost or the fucking opposite, well where's the fun? Randomize an event where I may have to play clever or lose a lot. But "oh too bad, you just lost a crew member!" Urgh, terrible. If you encounter good events, get nice items etc. relies so much on luck, hell even hitting / getting hit is.

I could keep rambling on about it but yeh.

I like the concept, I understand that it's just a low budget 2 man game and that it just costs 9€. Despite that I just kinda wish I didn't play this and instead waited for FTL2, which would be the sequel these dudes can create after getting their money from this very well selling title. A game with the same basics but just much better content and depths-

After playing about (according to Steam) 5 hours of the game I'm inclined to fully agree with everything you said. It shows you its hand fairly quickly and then the game is pretty much...done. On top of that pulling off a "good" run pretty much revolves around how lucky you get.

#79 Posted by Subbeh (90 posts) -

Got this and guild wars 2 at the same time and Ive easily played more of this. Love the random nature of it and having to make the best of whatever hand you're dealt.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.