Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

FTL: Faster Than Light

Game » consists of 4 releases. Released Sep 14, 2012

In this roguelike space sim, players are tasked with commanding a customized starship on an important mission through a randomized universe, with vile rebels nipping at their heels.

Ion power!

Jimmi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Jimmi

Just beat the game for the first time on easy with the Engi (doughnut) ship, and I'm honestly surprised I managed it. It started out being a run just to grab a few achievements, but it turned out to be my first victory!

I did it without cloaking, which is the surprising part. 3 shield bubbles, 3 ion weapons and 2 Mark 1 anti-ship drones. 48% dodge too, but no teleporter either. After about 3-4 volleys of my ion cannons the shields were down and from there I could basically shut down any subsystem I wanted (i.e. weapons and teleporter).

So have faith people! It's not impossible to beat the boss with a variety of builds (on easy at least), which is one of the biggest complaints I've heard about the game so far.

huser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By huser

@Jimmi said:

Just beat the game for the first time on easy with the Engi (doughnut) ship, and I'm honestly surprised I managed it. It started out being a run just to grab a few achievements, but it turned out to be my first victory!

I did it without cloaking, which is the surprising part. 3 shield bubbles, 3 ion weapons and 2 Mark 1 anti-ship drones. 48% dodge too, but no teleporter either. After about 3-4 volleys of my ion cannons the shields were down and from there I could basically shut down any subsystem I wanted (i.e. weapons and teleporter).

So have faith people! It's not impossible to beat the boss with a variety of builds (on easy at least), which is one of the biggest complaints I've heard about the game so far.

Did something similar. Used a Defense drone Mk2, the starting ion gun, burst laser Mk2, breach bomb, 3 shields, 45% dodge, no cloak, but with shields. Dropped in Manti/Slug and Rock/Human to kill their 2 most dangerous guns (and crew), while I turned off ALL my weapons, dumping power into shields, engine, and drone until the flagship was toothless. Took power from drone and engine back into weapons and killed shield, locked down cloak, and then killed med bay...then sent in my assault squad(s) to hunt down the rest of the flagship crew.

2nd form, did pretty much the same thing, only this time taking out the missile and drone room early to drop their anti-ship drone and boarding drone (still had to deal with one boarding attempt). Shields, defense drone, and dodging can deal with the burst laser and beams OK while that went on. Took 6 damage up to this point.

3rd form, had to divert all power to weapons, and got rocked early. Once the Zoltan shield was dropped, sent troops over and turtled up. I don't think I did this one optimally but still came out of it with 5 health.

Iodine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Iodine

I really like the Ion cannon. My current run is Engi, and while having it's default one suck up 3 energy, it's really effective.

I usually focus it on shields and then maybe weapons if my drone is derping around

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.