Sarumarine's Spaceship Graveyard

#1 Edited by Sarumarine (2173 posts) -

Hello there! I'm Captain Sarumarine and I'm starting my own spaceship graveyard in FTL! It's got tons of pieces and parts (none that are salvageable) and an endless tale of profanity and tears for each one. Not to mention failure. Tons o' failure. It may not look like much now, but soon I'll have a whole sector of space choking on the doomed flights of my useless, highly expendable ships. So if you're looking to boost your morale (or point and laugh) take a gander at the list of several very unfortunate attempts to save the Federation.

List of Wrecked Ships in EASY MODE:

FTD (Faster Than Death)
  1. The Rustbucket [Default Ship] - Caught by the Rebel Fleet and destroyed under a hail of missile fire
  2. The Tops [Default Ship] - Entire crew killed by pirates. Ship left adrift in space
  3. The Wobbler [Engi Ship] - Destroyed by Rebel Ship in unknown nebula
  4. The Bog [Engi Ship] - Stopped by Zoltan Border Patrol, boarded and destroyed
  5. The Kestrel [Default Ship] - Destroyed by Zoltan Border Patrol
  6. The Hopper [Default Ship] - Destroyed by Pirates
  7. The Coffin [Engi Ship] - Refused to pay bribe, destroyed by Pirates
  8. The Long Feng [Default Ship] - Destroyed by Rock Cruiser w/ tons o' missiles
  9. The Torus [Engi Ship] - Destroyed by Stealth Drone
  10. The DIA [Default Ship] - Oxygen Systems fire, entire crew (plus one Rockman) suffocated in the cold, vacuum of space
  11. The MAC [Default Ship] - Reached the Rebel Flagship but was totally outgunned. Crew of eight lost in the explosion
  12. The Popper [Default Ship] - Reached Rebel Flagship. Did damage, lost due to fire and systems failures
  13. The Tin Cabin [Default Ship] - Ran out of fuel and was destroyed by a heavily armed Assault Drone
  14. The Corner End [Engi Ship] - Overwhelmed by Mantis Pirates
  15. The FDSG [Engi Ship] - Reached a dead end in space and fought off several Rebel Ships before succumbing to hull breaches
  16. The TOW [Engi Ship] - Overcome by fire
  17. The Nesasio [Stealth Ship] - Destroyed in its first encounter with a Pirate. No shields really suck
  18. The Cloak and Dagger [Stealth Ship] - Cornered in space by the Rebel Fleet. Destroyed.
  19. The Crimson Fin [Default Ship B] - Pounded to death by Breach Missiles in a nebula. Weapons officer killed in blast
  20. The Netherider II [Zoltan Ship B] - Reached the Rebel Flagship but was destroyed under a hail of Missile Fire
  21. Nisos [Cruiser Ship B] - Destroyed by the Rebel Flagship under a hail of Drones
  22. The Vortex [Engi Ship B] - Destroyed in its very first ship battle with a Pirate Ship

List of Successful Missions on EASY MODE:

1. The Torus II [Engi Ship] - Cheated by modding the game so pursuing Rebel Fleet didn't show up
  2. The Darkwind [Stealth Ship] - Cheated. Won by a barrage of lasers and Anti-Ship Drones
  3. The Space Orange [Default Ship B] - Cheated. Killed the entire crew of the Rebel Flagship and cut it up with the Halberd Beam

Be sure to check back later for more doomed missions and rotting starship carcases!

#2 Posted by Ravenlight (8040 posts) -

Here are a few of my favs:

• Forgot to turn on the Med Bay when fighting invaders.
  • Forgot to turn on O2 after disabling it to boost shields.
  • Teleported entire crew to enemy ship and forgot I had auto-fire turned on.
  • Accidentally destroyed own ship with explosive bomb instead of using healing bomb.
  • Every single room completely on fire, entire crew dead or dying, O2 offline, airlocks open, door controls offline, manage to save it somehow, get killed by picking the wrong dialog option in the next sector.
#3 Posted by Porkellain (253 posts) -

I just love FTL, also how I made it to the last sector just trying to get a no shop achievement. I failed horribly, of course.

#4 Posted by Sarumarine (2173 posts) -

@Ravenlight said:

Here are a few of my favs:

THAT one is my favorite. As soon as I saw teleportation was an option I wondered if you could do that.

#5 Posted by Ravenlight (8040 posts) -

@Sarumarine said:

THAT one is my favorite. As soon as I saw teleportation was an option I wondered if you could do that.

Another variant: Lose half of my crew after the first stage of the boss when it warps away with them onboard.

The hilarious lows in FTL are almost as good as the highs.

#6 Posted by Ben_H (3311 posts) -
@Ravenlight said: 
I didn't think of that when I was playing. I lost everyone but the person in the pilot seat of my ship.
#7 Posted by Renahzor (991 posts) -

My best so far has been failing to turn on the oxygen supply after leaving an area that lowered my power, and being unable to figure out what was going on until it was too late.

#8 Edited by Baal_Sagoth (1236 posts) -

@Ravenlight said:

• Forgot to turn on the Med Bay when fighting invaders.
  • Forgot to turn on O2 after disabling it to boost shields.

Holy fuck, I can't even count how often that infamous trinity gloriously screwed otherwise perfectly decent runs of mine. I always feel so stupid as well - and then do the same silly thing again in the near future. It's like FTL is shoving it in the player's face too: "This is not hectic, you could've paused, could've weighed your options, could've paid attention to the important details..."

I do still love this game very much. I wonder if they plan to expand the random encounters in a massive fashion or consider reiterating on the concept in another game or sequel. I'd be down with that.

#9 Posted by Nictel (2380 posts) -
  • Opening outer doors to put out fire -> Door system gets destroyed -> No way for crew to reach damaged O2 system... Slow painful suffocation follows.
#10 Edited by Sarumarine (2173 posts) -

@Nictel said:

• Opening outer doors to put out fire -> Door system gets destroyed -> No way for crew to reach damaged O2 system... Slow painful suffocation follows.

That's happened to me a few times, only a crewmember managed to sacrifice themselves to fix either the oxygen or door controls so it wasn't a total loss. Usually leaves my pilot flying alone in that case.

#11 Posted by MiniPato (2721 posts) -

I always let out an audible "doooooooohhhhhhh FUCK!" whenever I accidentally destroy a ship with my rockman-mantisman boarding party on on it. It happens more often than I should let it. Or when I don't pay attention to a ship that has upgraded doors and then watch enemies tag team each other in and out of the room to murder my boarding party while the teleporter is on cool down.

#12 Posted by Sarumarine (2173 posts) -

Man, people talking about boarding parties and stuff makes me feel like you're light years ahead of me. Anybody I've had on my ship are hardly fit to take on themselves much less enemies. I haven't even seen teleporters (for my ship I mean) yet.

#13 Posted by Nictel (2380 posts) -

@Sarumarine said:

@Nictel said:

That's happened to me a few times, only a crewmember managed to sacrifice themselves to fix either the oxygen or door controls so it wasn't a total loss. Usually leaves my pilot flying alone in that case.

Kind of like when that happens. One man/woman/alien running a big ship, just running from weapons to shields, to life support..Once I could save the situation a bit.. Ran into a slaver and managed to damage it enough for it to offer me a slave.. The ship was shot to pieces at that point though. So I spend really long repairing it back up again.

I can add one:

• Reaching the end only to be so caught up finding enough missals and completely forgetting the rebel flagship..
#14 Edited by Seaborgium (100 posts) -

I've been killed a bunch of times by the stupid mistakes people keep mentioning. Forgetting to route power to O2 is one of the biggest. I wish you could program certain alerts to auto-pause the game and tell you something's wrong. The in-game alerts are pretty good already (i.e. warning you when you have low O2), but sometimes I get caught up boarding the enemy ship and forget that EVERYTHING IS FUCKED on my own. A quick message saying "Your alert to pause when: O2 is online AND O2 has no power has been triggered" would save many lives.

My most depressing death: Make it to the boss with a jacked-up Torus. Maxed shields/engines/cloak, 8 crew with experts manning all stations. I have no problem shrugging off the enemy weaponry. I've been running a boarding-focused build (Ion blast/weak laser/anti-ship drone, maxed teleporter), so I teleport my boarding party into the enemy's gunports. They rapidly kill the gunners and destroy the weapons, and soon the boss is totally disabled, with no way to attack me. Unfortunately, I also have no way to attack it - my laser/ion blast won't make it through the shields. I teleport my boarding party into the main ship, but they're easily overwhelmed, since the enemy can just retreat to the medbay when injured. After a few failed attempts, I see that I'm getting nowhere. I open the airlocks to my ship and my crew die a coward's death.

#15 Posted by DizzyMedal (399 posts) -

@Ravenlight said:

Forgot to turn on O2 after disabling it to boost shields.

Oh man ... so many times. Why do I never learn :(

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.