Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

FTL: Faster Than Light

Game » consists of 4 releases. Released Sep 14, 2012

In this roguelike space sim, players are tasked with commanding a customized starship on an important mission through a randomized universe, with vile rebels nipping at their heels.

Tips for Unlocking ships, without spoilers.

Avatar image for theegravedigger
    TheeGravedigger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By TheeGravedigger

Secondary layouts are spoiled in game, so no worries on those.

The Engi one has been spoiled in the quick look, and is pretty easy to get.

Other ships I'm not sure about. I've been told they're quest related, but I've had little luck unlocking them yet.

I want to explore and discover them myself, so I'm avoiding straight out spoilers.

Terramagi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By Terramagi

The stealth ship is Engi tech, so scouring their controlled sectors might be a good idea.

Other than that, they're all fairly easy to find, if RNG dependant. The only crazy hard one is the Unknown Ship, which requires 2 random events (one of which being a coin flip), a specific galaxy layout, and another random event.

Pinworm45

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Pinworm45

I'm having terrible luck finding ships so far. It's really fun getting new ships though, feels like a fresh new game

CatsAkimbo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#4  Edited By CatsAkimbo

There are two progress-related ships (one being the engi ship), and the rest of the ships are tied to a specific race's homeworld system (not race-controlled), one ship per race. You have to figure out what to do there to unlock them.

shirogane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#5  Edited By shirogane

The Engi ship is spoiled in game too, so is the Federation Cruiser or whatever the other one is called.

All i can say is, for the slug ship, don't go ramboing in. And the Unknown ship....urgh, that one involves absurd amounts of luck, i almost had it, but the game decided not to give me the last part. Tip there is it involves a certain stasis chamber thing.

TheeGravedigger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By TheeGravedigger

Yea, I'd figured out that much, with regards to the stasis pod. It seemed like it was a key to a new race, or more likely a very old one.

pyrodactyl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By pyrodactyl
    @Shirogane

The Engi ship is spoiled in game too, so is the Federation Cruiser or whatever the other one is called.

All i can say is, for the slug ship, don't go ramboing in. And the Unknown ship....urgh, that one involves absurd amounts of luck, i almost had it, but the game decided not to give me the last part. Tip there is it involves a certain stasis chamber thing.

I had that stasis thing at one point, no idea how to do the next part though.
    Also feel like I missed the mantis ship by a hair. I selected the blue option agains the mantis theif but obliterated his ship instead od doing whatever you re supose to do to unlock it.
    shirogane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By shirogane

@pyrodactyl said:

@Shirogane

Also feel like I missed the mantis ship by a hair. I selected the blue option agains the mantis theif but obliterated his ship instead od doing whatever you re supose to do to unlock it.

Oh that, well, another tip is that, for unlocking all the ships, generally you get an intact ship which gets sent to your hangar. So yeah....blowing up a ship you want, probably a bad idea?

Fredchuckdave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#9  Edited By Fredchuckdave

If you don't want spoilers it's going to take you an exceptionally long time to unlock them all, as some of them require specific upgraded systems. The big (obvious) thing is have a crew member of the same race of whatever region you're in.

Partisan189

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Partisan189

So far I have the human, engi, rock, zoltan, and crystal ships. All of these I got without looking up any info, so I guess I've just been lucky. I eventually got curious and looked up the others if anyone else is looking for the info all the ships and how to get them are on the FTL Wikia

Fredchuckdave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Fredchuckdave

@Partisan189 said:

So far I have the human, engi, rock, zoltan, and crystal ships. All of these I got without looking up any info, so I guess I've just been lucky. I eventually got curious and looked up the others if anyone else is looking for the info all the ships and how to get them are on the FTL Wikia

Out of curiosity what bonuses do the Crystal guys have?

Partisan189

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Partisan189

@Fredchuckdave said:

@Partisan189 said:

Out of curiosity what bonuses do the Crystal guys have?

They have a special ability called lockdown which for a limited period of time seals the current room they are in impeding all movement through that room and makes the room impervious to damage. Lockdown has a cooldown so it has to charge up at the start of a fight and you could use it multiple times in a fight. They also have 125% health, reduced suffocation damage and move 20% slower. All the races and their attributes are detailed in the FTL Wiki.

TheeGravedigger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By TheeGravedigger

@Partisan189: Dude... putting spoilers in a non-spoiler thread... not cool bro.

Fredchuckdave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Fredchuckdave

@TheeGravedigger said:

Dude... asking for help without spoiling is absurd... if you really want to play blind then play blind

TheeGravedigger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By TheeGravedigger

@Fredchuckdave: No... actually it's not. Plenty of adventure gamers offer hints without spoilers. People want to know if they're on the right path, without having the details outright spoiled for them.

It used to be a pretty common thing on forums, especially those that offer spoiler tags.
    Fredchuckdave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Fredchuckdave

What you're asking for is spoilers, except they must be not spoilers to too much of an arbitrarily decided extent; in a game like this with no storyline there isn't any distinguishing factors of said spoilers. In any case have fun unlocking the mantis ship.

BisonHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By BisonHero
    @pyrodactyl
    @Shirogane

Having a Mantis on your crew is just the first step of a fairly bullshit series of things you must have before you run into the Mantis thief. You have to have specific systems upgraded, and one of them is the kind of upgrade that I almost never bother getting unless it's the end of the game and I have a zillion scrap. I don't even feel bad looking up the Mantis one, because I wouldn't have triggered it on my own in a million years.
    Fredchuckdave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Fredchuckdave

@BisonHero said:

@pyrodactyl Having a Mantis on your crew is just the first step of a fairly bullshit series of things you must have before you run into the Mantis thief. You have to have specific systems upgraded, and one of them is the kind of upgrade that I almost never bother getting unless it's the end of the game and I have a zillion scrap. I don't even feel bad looking up the Mantis one, because I wouldn't have triggered it on my own in a million years.

Ironically said upgrade is quite useful on the Mantis ship; though in general all of the level 2 upgrades are somewhat useful if only to buffer their functionality in the event of hull damage.

Edit: It is possible to figure it out ingame, step one have a Mantis, realize that doesn't work, think real hard about what mantis ships tend to have, and then get into the Mantis ship event again, then the game tells you what's missing more or less. But considering it could take 5 or more games before you run into the Mantis Homeworld again you're looking at 15 runs minimum to figure it out manually.

9cupsoftea

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By 9cupsoftea

I think the best tip is to go into small nebulas on the maps (not the nebula sectors) because they slow down the fleet and give you a lot more opportunity to visit more star systems (thus collecting scrap and more chance of hitting the ship-quests). I specifically tried doing that and ended up with the zoltan one in my last playthrogh.

Avatar image for tim_the_corsair
    tim_the_corsair

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By tim_the_corsair

I got the Slug and the Zoltan last night, so in a vague way:

Slug is a multi step process and involves some negotiation for intel and surveillance before moving in for the kill

The Zoltan are a peaceful race skilled at deception, and the key to unlocking their ship is to remember these two facts in adverse circumstances

Partisan189

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Partisan189

@TheeGravedigger said:

What spoilers did I even post? What the crystal guys stats are or my link to the wiki? Because if it's either

TheeGravedigger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By TheeGravedigger

My comment was mostly in jest, intending to remind people to limit their spoilers, rather than a specific complaint against you. That's why I used the Dude and Bro, to indicate it was mostly parody.

However it seems like some people on here don't have the courtesy to respect a simple request. It's a shame really, I thought the GB community was better than that.

fattony12000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#23  Edited By fattony12000

Is it just me but do enemy boarders seem to be nearly completely unaffected by the opening up of the compartments that they are in, to the cold unforgiving vacuum of space? I would love a feature to be added/patched/modded in that allowed for those standing right next to an airlock to be blasted into space.

Partisan189

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Partisan189

@Fattony12000 said:

Is it just me but do enemy boarders seem to be nearly completely unaffected by the opening up of the compartments that they are in, to the cold unforgiving vacuum of space? I would love a feature to be added/patched/modded in that allowed for those standing right next to an airlock to be blasted into space.

Yea they are only really affected when the oxygen level of the room they are occupying is very low.

Fredchuckdave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Fredchuckdave

@Partisan189 said:

@Fattony12000 said:

Yea they are only really affected when the oxygen level of the room they are occupying is very low.

Its the same mechanic for your guys as well, so I think its fair game; you can operate without oxygen powered for about 50-55 seconds in a fight before your guys will start losing health; airlocks flood at a faster rate than that.

yellownumber5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

User Lists: 5

#26  Edited By yellownumber5

@Fredchuckdave: I have noticed this, but, even after looking online for what prerequisites are needed to achieve each ship, I still had a tough time meeting those... until one run-through, about 30 hours in, all of a sudden I got three at once. I do wonder if the game was designed to not allow acquiring new ships until a certain amount of gameplay was achieved.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.