What are your Upgrade priorities?

#1 Posted by TheeGravedigger (93 posts) -

For me, my priorities have been 2 into shields, 1-2 into power for the shields, then blast doors. After that, I'm not so sure.

With the upgraded shields, I can generally conserve my missiles and just use my blasters to take down systems.

#2 Edited by BisonHero (6045 posts) -

Yeah, 2 into shields, 2 into power for shields is pretty much the only opening, as far as I'm concerned.

Despite being in the beta from the start, the last couple days are the first time I've looked at forums about the game, and I'm surprised so many people are having trouble with boarding parties. I guess I watched a couple of the dev videos way back when and got some hot tips, but seriously, as long as you flush oxygen out of your ship so that you corral boarding parties into your medbay, you can handle pretty much any boarding party with ease. This is my long way of saying "Some games I never buy blast doors at all, or I wait until the last sector or two to bother buying them". I guess they are cheap enough that level 1 blast doors are probably worth the small cost, but whatever, I'd rather get other things.

Anyway, after upgrading shields, I'll usually put a single point into engines because it's cheap, then 1 point into power for the engines.

After that I try to save money up for a bit and look for a store, in hopes of buying a Scrap Recovery Arm, or Teleporter System. The Scrap Recovery Arm is almost mandatory to beat the game, because it lets you collect significantly more scrap, as long as you obtain it no later than the second sector. The teleporter system is awesome because even if you don't start using it in combat right away (hell, leave it unpowered if you want), it still gives you a "blue option" in a lot of random events, and several of those events can result in you picking up a free crew member (which is great, because paying for crew members is for suckahs).

At that point, if I've picked up some crew members that are suited for combat, I'll look into upgrading the teleporter and the sensors (which are a must because you need to see what you're up against inside the enemy ship). If crew isn't all that suited for combat, I'll look into upgrading my weapon systems, since it doesn't take long for the enemy ships to start getting tougher.

And in general, by the time I reach the final boss, I try to have 3 shield bubbles, and maxed out engines because dodge is so key.

#3 Posted by TheeGravedigger (93 posts) -

I'm definitely seeing the benefit of having a scrap recovery arm and a teleporter.

I'm currently having the issue of getting enemy ships that're just too tough to take out with my load out and not finding better weapons.

#4 Edited by Dredlockz (340 posts) -

@BisonHero: Thanks for the tips, those were immensely helpful!

I'm curious about how you approach the random events, do you do the "risky" ones in hopes of getting a reward? I've been just focusing on the blue options, or the ones I know that don't backfire if possible, are they worth the risk?

Also in the system-jump map where you choose which node to pick (red, green, purple nodes) what's your priority?

#5 Posted by BisonHero (6045 posts) -

@TheeGravedigger said:

I'm definitely seeing the benefit of having a scrap recovery arm and a teleporter.

I'm currently having the issue of getting enemy ships that're just too tough to take out with my load out and not finding better weapons.

Yeah, I usually try to just get by with the weapons I randomly get from events in the game, but you're just not getting much, sometimes you unfortunately have to pay the 50-70 scrap in a store to buy a decent weapon (like an ion weapon or burst laser or something). Around the time enemies have 3 shield bubbles, most starting weapon loadouts are no longer as effective, and you could really benefit from a 3rd weapon.

#6 Posted by ervonymous (1297 posts) -

I usually hoard scrap until the back end of the second sector. If I've found a weapon worth using I'll prioritize getting it online, otherwise get the level 2 shields, blast doors and pump that evasion rate up.

The more you dodge incoming fire, the more your crew manning the engine gains experience further increasing your evade % and FTL charge speed. Also having a fast firing Ion Blast increases the gunner's level so fast it's not even funny and every little bit counts.

#7 Posted by Sweep (8782 posts) -

I pretty much always sink my scrap straight into Shields and Power first, just to get that second block of shields up. Then it depends really. If i'm running drones then I like to keep 50 scrap available incase I find a Drone Retrieval Arm in a shop, which pretty much removes the need to buy drones, otherwise It all goes into weapons and power. I got weapons up for level 7 or something and my Ion cannon was running fast enough (2 second reload?) that it pretty much permanently disabled the enemy shield and my drones could just get on with it.

I tend to ignore evade and dodge, but maybe I should look into that. My main problem once I hit level 6 or 7 is finding an enemy that simply kills me too fast for me to properly react.

#8 Posted by EarlessShrimp (1631 posts) -

Shields then power, then scanners or med bay. If I end up getting lucky and end up with extra crew members I'll boost my engine but generally I stick to shields, power, scanners (or medbay if we have a lot of boarders) then weapons (if I have found new weapons). I mean most of the game seems like the priority should be mostly situational.

@Sweep: it seems that evade/dodge are really helpful against missiles and other shield bypassing stuff. I'm gonna try a game today where I sink more into evade/dodge

#9 Edited by MattyFTM (14328 posts) -

Blastdoors first, because boarding parties are a bitch. Then shields. Then I'll try to save some money and buy whatever looks good in the shops. Probably put some into sensors when I have enough saved, and then a little into engines.

#10 Posted by EarlessShrimp (1631 posts) -

@MattyFTM: I've found that you can sometimes corral boarders into the medbay area and your crew will heal while they fight. Otherwise, you can just run the crew on rotation through the room with enemies (with fast healing it's a much smoother rotation). Since I don't really plug much scrap into the stores I like to get those extra power bars to power the med bay anyway. But, those blast doors are awesome for fire containment too; I definitely like to have them around. How does the shopping usually end up though? I usually end up wishing I had a different weapon and hoping one drops... eventually. I'd like to try a save scrap for the shop run through too. Do you have any strategies for buying?

#11 Posted by Shirogane (3563 posts) -

It's really dependant on which ship/layout i'm using. Some of them are drastically different. The stealth ship for instance doesn't even come with shields. The second layout for the slug ship has no actual weapons, and no medbay. Second layout for the engi ship...has a lot of issues, and the first layout you need to invest in drones or weaponry, otherwise a few sectors in you won't even be able to penetrate shields.

#12 Posted by Loafsmooch (277 posts) -

Like people already said, shields and power first. Seems to be vital as not to lose too much scrap on repairs. Then I just try to hoard as much scrap I can until I really need to upgrade something, or until I find a store with something I want. Really depends on what I find.

#13 Posted by Pinworm45 (4088 posts) -

Shields and power. After that I try and remain dynamic based on what I get, but I like to aim for having a defender drone.

#14 Posted by cheapandtacky (127 posts) -

Shields, blast doors once boarders start showing up and I've been playing around with navigation to get the dodge up

#15 Posted by pyrodactyl (1854 posts) -
@rebgav

I just go shields/engines/power for the first few nodes and then all weapons/drones after that. Excess scrap goes into subsystems. Seems to work okay for me, though I'm struggling with the boss' second form - too many drones!

There's only 2 strategies for the second form.
1: you put on cloak level 2 exactly when the drones volley comes out and wait for them to leave before attaking
2: have absurd dps and target shield and missiles station exclusivly

Near 50% evade and shield lvl 4 helps in both cases
#16 Posted by beardfish (113 posts) -

I'm pretty awful at this game, but I found that hoarding the scrap was best. However the biggest thorn in my side in this game so far is getting funneled into a nebula then getting boarded. Even rotating crew members in and out of the medbay to fight barely does the trick.

#17 Posted by BisonHero (6045 posts) -

@pyrodactyl said:

@rebgav

I just go shields/engines/power for the first few nodes and then all weapons/drones after that. Excess scrap goes into subsystems. Seems to work okay for me, though I'm struggling with the boss' second form - too many drones!

There's only 2 strategies for the second form. 1: you put on cloak level 2 exactly when the drones volley comes out and wait for them to leave before attaking 2: have absurd dps and target shield and missiles station exclusivly Near 50% evade and shield lvl 4 helps in both cases

Yeah, that is basically the truth, unfortunately. You can try it without cloak and instead have max dodge (55% is the highest it can possibly go) and high shields (3-4 bubbles), but you need to get pretty lucky on your dodges.

Or if you want, just getting Level 1 cloak still allows you to be invisible during some of the drone attack, and then hopefully your shields and dodge can carry you through the rest of it.

#18 Posted by Kieran_ES (258 posts) -

Shields and Engine first, with the aim (for me) to get to a point where I have an all lasers, full teleport, full cloak and 3/4 shield ship for the boss.

Boarding is insanely useful for the boss fight and a volley of 6 - 10 laser bursts at once is pretty much the only way I go with regards to weapons.

#19 Posted by BoG (5180 posts) -

I've been putting everything into shields and dodge immediately Weapons I upgrade as I need to. I can usually get really far with the starter weapons, and I almost always find another useful weapon along the way. I usually have one basic repair drone running. I may be swapping my strategy, however. I never had any issues with boarding parties until now. In the 7th sector of my last play, I was boarded by 5 mantis. They dealt damage faster than my med bay could heal me. Looks like I'll add blast doors next time.

#20 Posted by BonOrbitz (2134 posts) -

@BoG said:

I've been putting everything into shields and dodge immediately Weapons I upgrade as I need to. I can usually get really far with the starter weapons, and I almost always find another useful weapon along the way. I usually have one basic repair drone running. I may be swapping my strategy, however. I never had any issues with boarding parties until now. In the 7th sector of my last play, I was boarded by 5 mantis. They dealt damage faster than my med bay could heal me. Looks like I'll add blast doors next time.

I like the sound of your strategy so I'll try that tonight. I've upgraded my blast doors so when I'm boarded, I suck all the oxygen out of the ship and the baddies suffocate as they're pounding away at the doors protecting my crew. I've also found that having an an anti-personel drone onboard helps too. I don't think one drone will hold up to five mantis, however.

#21 Posted by onarum (1989 posts) -

I like to upgrade doors as soon as I can(to reduce boarding threat), I used to upgrade shields early too, but then I realized that there is some stupid "rubber banding" thing going on with the enemies, as soon as you upgrade your shields you start encountering enemies with the same or greater level of shields as you... so its pretty much pointless early on.

#22 Posted by KommanderCevin (236 posts) -

I had 55% evade, 3 bars of shield and survived for a long time against the boss's first stage, but I ran out of missiles and between the beam, ion, and lasers couldn't ever make a big enough dent in the shields to do any damage.

Prioritizing evade was great from the beginning, but not being able to scratch the boss it was only a matter of time until a lucky shot crippled my engines or bridge.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.