What is the Speed Limit in Space?

Posted by Dougie_Com (26 posts) -

My fixated determination to explore the deepest reaches of space has been yet again ignited by the long awaited release of FTL: Faster Than Light. This strategy based space exploration title would see players navigate the turmultuous frontier of a randomly generating galaxy in an attempt to save it.

As players oversee the crew of their vessel, providing orders and such, they must also manage the power distribution and upgrade attainment. Through the course of exploration, upgraded technology can be obtained through communication with six diverse alien races. In the like,FTL will provide captains with hundreds of text based situations demanding clearly actionable decisions be made; the likes of which may very well affect the various races you will encounter, your crew, and the galaxy at large. Heavy, well thought decisions will also play a large role in combat:

“In FTL you experience the atmosphere of running a spaceship trying to save the galaxy. It’s a dangerous mission, with every encounter presenting a unique challenge with multiple solutions. What will you do if a heavy missile barrage shuts down your shields? Reroute all power to the engines in an attempt to escape, power up additional weapons to blow your enemy out of the sky, or take the fight to them with a boarding party?”

Though, rest assured; while FTL is considered difficult, players are able to pause in the midst of battle do decide their next move.

Each deep space expedition is designed to be unique from the last, featuring newly generated enemies, events and results to the player’s actions. Thus, the game places a permanent weight to all that unfolds in the expanse, including the death of players, to ensure both thoughtful and multiple play-throughs.

FTL: Faster Than Light is available through Steam, DRM free with some bonus goodies onGog.com and for all platforms on the developer’s site. By all means, I encourage the lovers of management on a grand scale, and the lovers of space, to go check out Faster Than Light. I’ll be doing the same, so expect an eventual review.

- Doug Comstock

#1 Posted by Dougie_Com (26 posts) -

My fixated determination to explore the deepest reaches of space has been yet again ignited by the long awaited release of FTL: Faster Than Light. This strategy based space exploration title would see players navigate the turmultuous frontier of a randomly generating galaxy in an attempt to save it.

As players oversee the crew of their vessel, providing orders and such, they must also manage the power distribution and upgrade attainment. Through the course of exploration, upgraded technology can be obtained through communication with six diverse alien races. In the like,FTL will provide captains with hundreds of text based situations demanding clearly actionable decisions be made; the likes of which may very well affect the various races you will encounter, your crew, and the galaxy at large. Heavy, well thought decisions will also play a large role in combat:

“In FTL you experience the atmosphere of running a spaceship trying to save the galaxy. It’s a dangerous mission, with every encounter presenting a unique challenge with multiple solutions. What will you do if a heavy missile barrage shuts down your shields? Reroute all power to the engines in an attempt to escape, power up additional weapons to blow your enemy out of the sky, or take the fight to them with a boarding party?”

Though, rest assured; while FTL is considered difficult, players are able to pause in the midst of battle do decide their next move.

Each deep space expedition is designed to be unique from the last, featuring newly generated enemies, events and results to the player’s actions. Thus, the game places a permanent weight to all that unfolds in the expanse, including the death of players, to ensure both thoughtful and multiple play-throughs.

FTL: Faster Than Light is available through Steam, DRM free with some bonus goodies onGog.com and for all platforms on the developer’s site. By all means, I encourage the lovers of management on a grand scale, and the lovers of space, to go check out Faster Than Light. I’ll be doing the same, so expect an eventual review.

- Doug Comstock

#2 Posted by CaLe (3988 posts) -

So far I'm not liking the random difficulty spikes. I know it comes with the territory but it just feels unfair at times.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.