Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

FTL: Faster Than Light

Game » consists of 4 releases. Released Sep 14, 2012

In this roguelike space sim, players are tasked with commanding a customized starship on an important mission through a randomized universe, with vile rebels nipping at their heels.

Why don't more games have these mechanics?

sdharrison

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By sdharrison

The most striking thing about FTL is the simple pleasure of manipulating a starship and it's 2d crew. Forget the roguelike stuff, the difficulty, etc. Just beaming guys around, leveling skills, opening and closing airlocks, recruiting and losing crewmembers and handling weapon configurations/timing makes for such a strong game.

If those mechanics got fleshed out with deeper diplomacy, better graphics, more ships, more freedom and less RNG, we could really have something special. Here's hoping some AAA money gets behind these systems

Avatar image for lordxavierbritish
    LordXavierBritish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 6

#2  Edited By LordXavierBritish

Welcome to EVE Online.

sdharrison

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By sdharrison

Really? Last time I installed EVE I found it to be a brutally slow economic sim

mellotronrules

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By mellotronrules

i'm awaiting this with bated breath, since it mostly looks like a prettier, more elaborate FTL. who know's if it'll be as good, however.

sdharrison

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By sdharrison

That DOES look awesome, thanks

kindgineer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#6  Edited By kindgineer

@sdharrison: FTL showed developers that people actually enjoy that type of game, so we'll see more of it. I think if you sit down and think about making a video game that isn't already invented; you'll find it isn't as easy as it seems. Now that it is has happened - we'll see more of it. Think of how Super Mario 64 revolutionized gaming, or how Halo made FPS popular on consoles. That sort of thing.

mellotronrules

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By mellotronrules

since we're having a discussion on the genius of FTL's mechanics, i'd just like to offer the following for your consideration:

imagine a cooperative multiplayer version of FTL. ships and crews would be much larger, and each player could be in charge of a subsystem (weapons, engines, life support, etc.), and your success is based upon minigames, crew management (within your subsystem), and power management.

i'd never leave that game. just sayin...

Avatar image for deactivated-5ff27cb4e1513
    deactivated-5ff27cb4e1513

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mellotronrules said:

since we're having a discussion on the genius of FTL's mechanics, i'd just like to offer the following for your consideration:

imagine a cooperative multiplayer version of FTL. ships and crews would be much larger, and each player could be in charge of a subsystem (weapons, engines, life support, etc.), and your success is based upon minigames, crew management (within your subsystem), and power management.

i'd never leave that game. just sayin...

There is kinda one, but you'll need people: http://www.artemis.eochu.com/

I'd love to see the Flight Club do this.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.