Fumito Ueda May Have Left Sony

• 81 results
Posted by patrickklepek (3069 posts) -
Ueda leaving Sony would cast serious doubt on the ultimate fate of The Last Guardian.

“No comment” sometimes means more than “no comment.”

Eurogamer reported this morning that Sony designer Fumito Ueda, currently working on The Last Guardian for PlayStation 3, has left the company to finish his work on that project as a freelancer.

Ueda is known for designing the emotionally-charged Ico and Shadow of the Colossus, both of which just had high-definition revamps released in a rather swank collection.

Sony has trotted out the usual line about now commenting on rumors and speculation, but if Ueda was still working at Sony, it’s strange that Sony wouldn’t want to stamp out this rumor right away.

The Last Guardian has been delayed several times, and is tentatively slated for a 2012 release. If this report is true, it's unclear how or if it would impact the game's development.

The developer has not disappeared from the Internet, however, and updated his Twitter account as recently as a few hours ago. He has not commented on the reports regarding his status at Sony.

Staff
#1 Posted by patrickklepek (3069 posts) -
Ueda leaving Sony would cast serious doubt on the ultimate fate of The Last Guardian.

“No comment” sometimes means more than “no comment.”

Eurogamer reported this morning that Sony designer Fumito Ueda, currently working on The Last Guardian for PlayStation 3, has left the company to finish his work on that project as a freelancer.

Ueda is known for designing the emotionally-charged Ico and Shadow of the Colossus, both of which just had high-definition revamps released in a rather swank collection.

Sony has trotted out the usual line about now commenting on rumors and speculation, but if Ueda was still working at Sony, it’s strange that Sony wouldn’t want to stamp out this rumor right away.

The Last Guardian has been delayed several times, and is tentatively slated for a 2012 release. If this report is true, it's unclear how or if it would impact the game's development.

The developer has not disappeared from the Internet, however, and updated his Twitter account as recently as a few hours ago. He has not commented on the reports regarding his status at Sony.

Staff
#2 Posted by wumbo3000 (904 posts) -

No! Last Guardian!

#3 Posted by Sjupp (1901 posts) -

NNNNOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

#4 Posted by rmanthorp (3694 posts) -

Well this sucks...

#5 Posted by cap123 (2477 posts) -

OH GOD MAYBE HE'LL START WORKING ON XBOX GAMES

#6 Posted by Aetheldod (3335 posts) -

Patrick weren´t you the one who said never to trust an eurogamer rumor again? If true tho .... oh noes Last Guardian D:!!!

#7 Posted by Jolt92 (1529 posts) -

He's gonna be making Kinect games from now on. Sorry guys!

#8 Posted by Dogma (942 posts) -

@Aetheldod: I believe it was the Official Playstation Magazine UK he didn't want to trust any more after that misleading Metal Gear Solid 5 confirmation.

#9 Posted by LiquidSwords (2739 posts) -

*Tears

#10 Posted by HadesTimes (793 posts) -

Well, that's interesting. But him working as a freelancer on the game doesn't really change the game. Does it? And if he left Sony, that just probably means he's going to either make his own studio or sign up to an independent one. For as much as people who work for Sony say how good it is; seems like first chance they get, they leave. Mmmm....

#11 Posted by MooseyMcMan (9738 posts) -

So, if he's not leaving until Last Guardian is out, he's not leaving then?

I kid!

#12 Posted by Loopah (133 posts) -

I don't really see why it sucks so bad? I'm sure he'll continue making great (maybe even better?) games.

#13 Posted by Czarpyotr (268 posts) -

Thanks, OBAMA

#14 Posted by Grissefar (2843 posts) -

Ugh. Yuck.

#15 Posted by AlexW00d (6060 posts) -

Who cares? He's doing what he wants (unless he got the boot) and that is what people should be happy for.

#16 Posted by Firelogic (23 posts) -

He was fired because he was taking too long on TLG. He managed to stay on as freelance with a new game director most likely.

#17 Posted by MideonNViscera (2257 posts) -

@Jolt92 said:

He's gonna be making Kinect games from now on. Sorry guys!

hahah Sweet.

#18 Posted by Knite (138 posts) -

Wasn't the last guardian scrapped anyway? The game with the big furry/feathery friend who will most certainly meet a tragic end.

#19 Edited by Aegon (5117 posts) -
@HadesTimes said:

Well, that's interesting. But him working as a freelancer on the game doesn't really change the game. Does it? And if he left Sony, that just probably means he's going to either make his own studio or sign up to an independent one. For as much as people who work for Sony say how good it is; seems like first chance they get, they leave. Mmmm....

Maybe the pressure of having to come out with a huge game every time is too much. Maybe he doesn't want to keep doing what the fans expect from him? Maybe he wants to be able to drift as far as he wants in any direction, rather than sticking with what's mandatory when making a Team Ico game. 
#20 Posted by Poki3 (524 posts) -

I hope this won't reflect badly on The Last Guardian. Well, whatever's happening I hope he's still going to be making games that I'm going to play.

#21 Posted by Cyrisaurus (455 posts) -

Patrick, I feel like it was a little premature to make an article on this rumor. At least wait for some kind, ANY kind of proof.

#22 Posted by Ghostiet (5153 posts) -

If he's not leaving before finishing The Last Guardian, he's probably going to be there for the next 2-3 years.

#23 Posted by MJHAYLETT (431 posts) -

I want The Last Guardian more than any game that has came out for this Gen or will come out. I fear we may never get it. sniff.

#24 Posted by TentPole (1858 posts) -

@Cyrisaurus said:

Patrick, I feel like it was a little premature to make an article on this rumor. At least wait for some kind, ANY kind of proof.

"No comment" is some pretty damning evidence.

#25 Posted by EuanDewar (4509 posts) -

Oh man that's funny.

#26 Posted by Arjuna (887 posts) -

@Sjupp said:

NNNNOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOooooooooooooooooooooooooo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

#27 Posted by kenniWORLDPEACE (49 posts) -

please, dont do this to me. . . .

#28 Posted by TheLeamenator (146 posts) -

...?!

#29 Posted by damswedon (3168 posts) -

Patrick, you are talking like The Last Guardian is a game.

#30 Posted by Enigma777 (6047 posts) -

LIES!!!!!!!!

#31 Posted by Branwulf (391 posts) -

ABANDON SHIP, ABANDON SHIP!

#32 Posted by RagingLion (1362 posts) -

I care about this guy and his vision for games more than the vast majority in the industry. Hopefully this is all happening on his terms and hopefully he'll be able to keep applying his vision to games even if he doesn't have exactly the same team behind him.

This move could actually bode very well for the future if things unfold in a certain way.

#33 Edited by Crunchman (369 posts) -

@cap123: MGS4 ON XBOX. FINALLY. RISING WILL BE ABOUT SUNNY AND HER PET METAL GEAR.

#34 Posted by Zabant (1223 posts) -

@Aetheldod: Eurogamer =/= OPM UK

#35 Posted by bybeach (4600 posts) -

I didn't want the dogcatbird thingy to die anyways. Nor the kid. This just saves everyone an ocean of tears.

#36 Posted by metalsnakezero (2269 posts) -

It looks like he'll will still work on LG so that good. But if he is 100% leaving Sony, I wonder what he will do.

#38 Posted by Sword5 (150 posts) -

mobile games or grasshopper.

#39 Posted by UltimAXE (344 posts) -

If this is true, I'd love to know his reasons for leaving. Looking at his track record, it's quite clear that Sony just lets him do whatever the fuck he wants.

#40 Posted by Scrumdidlyumptious (1636 posts) -

As long as he finishes The Last Guardian, I'm excited about his future projects. If he doesn't finish it, I will destroy him.

#41 Posted by Cybexx (1099 posts) -

So if The Last Guardian makes it out and if this rumour is true then its probably going to be the last Team Ico game since Ueda wouldn't leave if he just wanted to keep making games with them and I'm skeptical someone is going to step in to take his place.

Its interesting because it seems like Sony has been giving a lot of leeway to Ueda to make whatever he desires because even if it doesn't make money they can point to it as a high quality art game on their system. So I doubt he could go anywhere else and get more leeway with anywhere near the budget. So maybe he is leaving the game industry?

#42 Posted by chrissedoff (2041 posts) -

maybe he and sony had a disagreement on just how much time he should spend slacking off and not working on his game.

#43 Posted by Vegetable_Side_Dish (1722 posts) -
Ueda make us anxious, Fumito!
#44 Posted by mordukai (7092 posts) -

not a good omen for The Last Guardian if there is any truth to this rumor. Every time a creative director leaves a game in mid development the game almost always turns out lackluster. The Force Unleashed 2, ACB, Dragon Age 2, and another game that escapea my memory at the moment, come to mind. Not to mention that it could be a huge loss for Sony.

#45 Posted by elcalavera (340 posts) -

@Anwar: In what manner would them saying "no, he is still an employee of Sony" fuel speculation? But if you don't want Patrick to write about, you know, news, I get you..

#46 Posted by captain_clayman (3300 posts) -

"and sony didn't comment" 

have they ever commented?

#47 Posted by Olivaw (1215 posts) -

@Vegetable_Side_Dish said:

Ueda make us anxious, Fumito!

Best comment.

#48 Posted by cuxun (54 posts) -

DAMN IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

#49 Posted by 234r2we232 (3181 posts) -
Sony has trotted out the usual line about now commenting on rumors and speculation

Journalism~!

#50 Posted by RainVillain (480 posts) -

He's too much of a perfectionist to let this game sail without him. I'm sure he'll finish it... but what next? =/

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.