Gabe Newell: "We are not announcing anything at E3"

• 55 results
#1 Posted by august (3827 posts) -

We are not announcing anything at E3. Really. We are not announcing Half-Life 3 or Portal 3 or Left 4 Dead 3. We are going to be showing stuff everyone already knows about (CS:Go, Dota 2, 10' UI, ...)

Source

#2 Posted by AhmadMetallic (18955 posts) -

Fuck you gaben.

#3 Posted by SpartanAmbrose (832 posts) -

@AhmadMetallic said:

Fuck you gaben.
#4 Posted by Sjupp (1910 posts) -

you gaben fuck

#5 Posted by BeachThunder (11722 posts) -

10' UI?

#6 Posted by BigChickenDinner (766 posts) -

@BeachThunder said:

10' UI?

That's what I was thinking?

#7 Posted by august (3827 posts) -
@BigChickenDinner said:

@BeachThunder said:

10' UI?

Special Steam UI for TVs.
#8 Posted by Animasta (14651 posts) -

they don't need E3

#9 Posted by Heltom92 (706 posts) -

I wonder if Gabe enjoys tormenting us like this.

#10 Posted by TheDudeOfGaming (6078 posts) -

@SpartanAmbrose said:

@AhmadMetallic said:

Fuck you gaben.
#11 Posted by phrosnite (3518 posts) -

DOTA TWOOOOOOOOOOOOO.

#12 Posted by TheSouthernDandy (3805 posts) -

That's fine. No biggie. I am going to burn your studio to the ground though Gabe. You've left me no choice.

#13 Posted by Savage (319 posts) -

@BigChickenDinner: Steam Big Picture Mode, a custom interface made for display on televisions (and televisions tend to be about 10' away from viewers, hence 10' UI).

#14 Posted by MattyFTM (14351 posts) -

@BigChickenDinner said:

@BeachThunder said:

10' UI?

A 10 foot User Interface. A UI designed to be seen from 10 feet away. Or the Steam Big Screen mode that has been talked about for use on TV sets.

#15 Posted by Bollard (5298 posts) -

@BigChickenDinner said:

@BeachThunder said:

10' UI?

Isn't that the new Steam UI they're making to make it better to look at on a TV?

(Larger fonts etc)

#16 Edited by Packie (255 posts) -

@BeachThunder said:

10' UI?

Yeah really what is that? A complete UI overhaul for steam?

Edit: Oh nvm. Thanks Matty.

#17 Posted by ssj4raditz (1125 posts) -

He kept saying "we" (meaning Valve, I assume). Does that mean someone else could announce these things? Hmm...

#18 Posted by Sweep (8827 posts) -

WE STILL LOVE YOU GABE

But I was secretly mad excited about L4D3 :(

#19 Posted by Gargantuan (1881 posts) -
#20 Posted by JeanLuc (3574 posts) -

But didn't you... and then... and I...

Well played Gabe. Well played.

#21 Posted by SlightConfuse (3963 posts) -

what if they announce it the day before E3

#22 Posted by Sackmanjones (4652 posts) -

Surprise surprise…

#23 Posted by JackSukeru (5906 posts) -

So they're announcing Half Life 2 Episode 3 then? Alright, cool.

#24 Edited by AndrewB (7515 posts) -

You, Gaben fuck.

Isn't this in direct opposition of something he supposedly said just days ago? Whatever... Valve *is* the kind of company that can announce whatever they want whenever they want. They've already announced a Half-Life project through various means (concept art, indirect speech, the "duh, they're making another one of those games because they left the last one off on a major cliffhanger and it sells like hotcakes" factor...), so it really doesn't mean a thing.

#25 Posted by Bell_End (1208 posts) -

@Heltom92 said:

not as much as he enjoyed eating im betting

#26 Posted by Jimbo (9776 posts) -

Technically, that announcement has a 3 in it.

#27 Posted by august (3827 posts) -
@JeanLuc said:

@AndrewB said:

You, Gaben fuck.

Isn't this in direct opposition of something he supposedly said just days ago?

You mean what some dude on 4chan said he said just days ago?

In the transparently bullshit article posted here yesterday that was clearly garbage if you read it for five seconds and engaged your brain?

Then... yes.
#28 Posted by AndrewB (7515 posts) -

@august said:

@AndrewB said:

You, Gaben fuck.

You mean what some dude on 4chan said he said just days ago? In the transparently bullshit article posted here yesterday that was clearly garbage if you read it for five seconds and engaged your brain? Then... yes.

Hence "supposedly," and all those words I used after that.

#29 Posted by Evan_Buchholz (122 posts) -

That's fine.... release the games you have already announced before you go announcing more stuff that won't be released for 4 years.

#30 Edited by whyareyoucrouchingspock (975 posts) -

I'd rather they take forever and deliver a super polished game than banging shit out every year like Call Of Duty.

I have plenty of other games to play, so it isn't a problem.

#31 Posted by Hunkulese (2656 posts) -

@august said:

@JeanLuc said:

@AndrewB said:

You, Gaben fuck.

You mean what some dude on 4chan said he said just days ago? In the transparently bullshit article posted here yesterday that was clearly garbage if you read it for five seconds and engaged your brain? Then... yes.

What?

You just did the exact same thing. Some random email to some random guy that is supposedly from Gabe Newell is your source?

How is what you posted any less garbage filled than what was posted yesterday? You make a passive aggressive insult about engaging your brain but refuse to do so yourself?

GO away troll.

#32 Posted by Buscemi (1106 posts) -

The whole Gaben Is A God isn't even funny anymore. Obviously he wants to rape the world.

#33 Posted by BabyChooChoo (4306 posts) -

@Heltom92 said:

It's how he survives. Most people need basic things like food, air, and things like that.

Gabe is able to live off the broken dreams of millions everywhere. He doesn't have a choice. it's either torment us or die.

#34 Posted by triviaman09 (787 posts) -

Why do people keep torturing themselves with this? Valve is never going to let you play Half-Life 3 or HL 2: EP3, just like Bioware is never going to give me a real KOTOR again. Forget about it and if it ends up happening, then you get to be surprised and happy.

#35 Posted by AjayRaz (12418 posts) -

maybe when he said he was announcing something with a 3 in it, he meant that he was announcing that they weren't announcing anything at E3

#36 Posted by whyareyoucrouchingspock (975 posts) -

@triviaman09 said:

Why do people keep torturing themselves with this? Valve is never going to let you play Half-Life 3 or HL 2: EP3, just like Bioware is never going to give me a real KOTOR again. Forget about it and if it ends up happening, then you get to be surprised and happy.

The old republic is a real KOTOR.

KOTOR is over-rated anyway, decent story with terrible gameplay. You should hamper for Baldurs Gate son, it's far superior.

#37 Edited by Ravenlight (8040 posts) -

You've gotta read between the lines because gaben is like the fucking Sphinx. Just because they're not announcing any of those things doesn't mean they won't secretly confirm they exist. Through an ARG they never announce and will probably deny the existence of.

#38 Posted by UltorOscariot (171 posts) -

Kinda saddening, but not surprising. They do things at their own time and own way. It's not like the games press wouldn't come running if they were to hold their own event at a later date to announce anything, as they have basically become the central axis of PC gaming with Steam.

#39 Posted by vikingdeath1 (933 posts) -

I almost would have preferred if he just hadn't say anything... Woulda been a huge disappointment come E3 and no (Aforementioned games) though

#40 Posted by 49th (2697 posts) -

HE IS TRICKING US

It will be a surprise, right?

Right?

#41 Posted by Superfriend (1535 posts) -

@Ravenlight said:

You've gotta read between the lines because gaben is like the fucking Sphinx.

If he continues with his eating habits and somebody steals his nose, maybe he´ll even look like the Sphinx one day.

But in all seriousness.. what the fuck are they doing with Half Life 3? I mean, they´re big now.. they can surely afford some small team somewhere working on that damn game. They should just tell people if it exists or not.

#42 Posted by AndrewB (7515 posts) -

@AjayRaz said:

maybe when he said he was announcing something with a 3 in it, he meant that he was announcing that they weren't announcing anything at E3

This is logical.

Or maybe the wait for Half-Life 3 *is* Half-Life 3. We're actually playing the game right now.

#43 Edited by whyareyoucrouchingspock (975 posts) -

@49th said:

HE IS TRICKING US

It will be a surprise, right?

Right?

Halflife 3 would over-shadow the current games set to be released. It would be pretty stupid imo.

#44 Posted by probablytuna (3550 posts) -

Damn it Gabe.

#45 Posted by Jace (1092 posts) -

@august:

"Update: This article was posted after we received the email header from the user which initially seemed legitimate. Subject to further investigation we cannot conclusively confirm the legitimacy of this email from Gabe. If we or anyone else is able to confirm it, we will update this article to reflect that."

So here's a thought: If it can't even be confirmed by the site or user base it was originally submitted to, then it probably shouldn't be labeled "source", should it?

If people would click the link and gain a sprinkle of reading comprehension, shit like this would get off the front page sooner.

#46 Posted by BeachThunder (11722 posts) -
#47 Posted by Milkman (16541 posts) -

Valve doesn't need E3 to announce anything. 

#48 Posted by august (3827 posts) -
@Jace said:

@august:

"Update: This article was posted after we received the email header from the user which initially seemed legitimate. Subject to further investigation we cannot conclusively confirm the legitimacy of this email from Gabe. If we or anyone else is able to confirm it, we will update this article to reflect that."

So here's a thought: If it can't even be confirmed by the site or user base it was originally submitted to, then it probably shouldn't be labeled "source", should it?

If people would click the link and gain a sprinkle of reading comprehension, shit like this would get off the front page sooner.

@Hunkulese said:

@august said:

@JeanLuc said:

@AndrewB said:

You, Gaben fuck.

What?

You just did the exact same thing. Some random email to some random guy that is supposedly from Gabe Newell is your source?

How is what you posted any less garbage filled than what was posted yesterday? You make a passive aggressive insult about engaging your brain but refuse to do so yourself?

GO away troll.

You guys are 100% correct that this unconfirmed; however, I trust the ocd folks over at ValveTime to have something closer to the truth than the article posted yesterday which provided no links or screenshots, and touted two totally obvious troll websites as proof.

I present this as a counterpoint to hopefully prevent people from raging in disappointment after getting excited for an imminent Half-Life 3 yesterday.
#49 Posted by SeanFoster (858 posts) -

Bummer.

#50 Posted by Lunar_Aura (2779 posts) -

Yeah, "We're" not. But Microsoft, Sony, or Nintendo might. Just sayin'

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.