Second email I sent to Gabe Newell.

#1 Edited by banned8921 (1246 posts) -

I sent him an email before about 6 or 7 months ago, since then I decided to send him another one. It is below.

Using steam achievments to market games is becoming obvious.

It's becoming obvious that your company steam/valve is using achievements as advertisements... If you are not then it would be nice if you made it not seem like that because everyone on the internet is kind of mad.Why do i think this you ask? because you gave day of defeat achievements. Even that one ninja game that got ported from the wii has achievments, the hinterland game has achivevments (pretty fun game) but not counter strike source. your most popular game! just kind of annoying because I really want to get every achievment then move onto games like tf2 but I must have some closure. thanks for reading steam is great heres my profile add me.(not showing people on giantbomb so im hiding it.)

Levio91.

Anyone think this is a great email?

edit: ok finally he responded

Gabe Newell:
"We think of achievements as a way of creating more fun for players, along with new maps, weapons, commentary, modes, etc…"

He didn't add me as a friend though =(

#2 Posted by LtColJaxson (1137 posts) -

Don't expect a response...

#3 Posted by banned8921 (1246 posts) -
#4 Posted by Jayge_ (10221 posts) -

What? Achievements are optional in terms of completion (for most games) and in games that they aren't they're tied in fairly well. I don't see how they are "advertising" their games through achievements in any way. Achievements are a widely recognized auxiliary reward platform that Valve is embracing. There is nothing wrong with that.

#5 Posted by banned8921 (1246 posts) -
Jayge said:
"What? Achievements are optional in terms of completion (for most games) and in games that they aren't they're tied in fairly well. I don't see how they are "advertising" their games through achievements in any way. Achievements are a widely recognized auxiliary reward platform that Valve is embracing. There is nothing wrong with that."
I know but they are doing it a bit too strategically. trying to make tf2 the new css (since every time they release a new achievment pack sales go through the roof on tf2) and when day of defeat got achievments it was o utselling css for a while. and I know they arent giving css achievments just beacause they dont like having one game define them.
#6 Posted by Coltonio7 (3156 posts) -
Levio91 said:
"Jayge said:
"What? Achievements are optional in terms of completion (for most games) and in games that they aren't they're tied in fairly well. I don't see how they are "advertising" their games through achievements in any way. Achievements are a widely recognized auxiliary reward platform that Valve is embracing. There is nothing wrong with that."
I know but they are doing it a bit too strategically. trying to make tf2 the new css (since every time they release a new achievment pack sales go through the roof on tf2) and when day of defeat got achievments it was o utselling css for a while. and I know they arent giving css achievments just beacause they dont like having one game define them."
Well it's not just achievements. New weapons, new maps and usually a bunch of changes.
#7 Posted by banned8921 (1246 posts) -
Coltonio7 said:
"Levio91 said:
"Jayge said:
I know but they are doing it a bit too strategically. trying to make tf2 the new css (since every time they release a new achievment pack sales go through the roof on tf2) and when day of defeat got achievments it was o utselling css for a while. and I know they arent giving css achievments just beacause they dont like having one game define them."
Well it's not just achievements. New weapons, new maps and usually a bunch of changes."
Yeah you're right. But they could spend 1/10 of that time making achievements for counter strike source. No weapons or anything just achievements.
#8 Posted by Rowr (5657 posts) -

LOL

Levio. The greatest troll on the internet.

Jayge said:

Im dissapointed in you jayge, you should know better by now.
#9 Posted by kmdrkul (3476 posts) -

Either Levio is fully aware of his stupidity and he is thus a genius for his act, or he is completely unaware and is thus approximately one hundred times dumber then he makes himself out to be...

#10 Posted by MisterSpiffy (880 posts) -
Rowr said:
"LOL

Levio. The greatest troll on the internet.

Jayge said:
Im dissapointed in you jayge, you should know better by now.
"
Yeah, this thread is pretty obvious...
#11 Posted by pause422 (6188 posts) -
Coltonio7 said:
"Levio91 said:
"Jayge said:
Well it's not just achievements. New weapons, new maps and usually a bunch of changes."
Uh no. That's only been done in TF2 , and if ou want to get it out of the way in 3 seconds, there are achievement servers you can go to. Actually giving achievements some kind of purpose in that one game gives you actually some reason to somewhat want them. This is the dumbest thing to complain about, and I really doubt he would respond to such a thing. They aren't advertising anything through achievements.
#12 Edited by Vinchenzo (6192 posts) -

Jesus Christ, you are such a retard. The only advertising that are in achievements consist in sports games for the most part. Please provide an example of what you perceive to be a marketing scheme on behalf of Valve. The fact they can be fun to get? Ridiculous. I do realize you mean, "Hey achievements should make people buy games." No. An example of blatant achievement advertising, though:

Pontiac G8 4th Quarter Comeback30
Win a Play Now or Dynasty Mode game when down by 14 to start the 4th qtr. (Min Difficulty: Varsity)
#13 Posted by ColumnBreaker (1164 posts) -

Even my grandma is pissed about this when she's on the internet. Fuckin Gabe. What's wrong with that dude?

#14 Posted by Absurd (2934 posts) -

Counter Strike Source does not need achievements. If you really need achievements then play other games.

#15 Posted by Rowr (5657 posts) -
kmdrkul said:
"Either Levio is fully aware of his stupidity and he is thus a genius for his act, or he is completely unaware and is thus approximately one hundred times dumber then he makes himself out to be..."
TBH im still not sure. He is THAT good. At this point its irrelevant to a degree tho. Serious posts in response are entirely futile.
#16 Posted by dsplayer1010 (2227 posts) -

What are you talking about?

#17 Posted by Player1 (3868 posts) -

Don't you think you should at least try to use correct grammer? Spelling? Sound educated at all?

It seems you are trying to send a formal email, a sarcastic one that is.

What it comes off as is a rambling 13 year old that wants achievements in counter strike...which is probably what you are.

#18 Posted by PureRok (4235 posts) -

I wouldn't mind seeing achievements in CSS (not that I play it anymore), but sending an e-mail of that caliber isn't going to do jack shit.

#19 Posted by Jayge_ (10221 posts) -
Rowr said:
"Im dissapointed in you jayge, you should know better by now.
"
I was bored, and I like seeing the completely stupid shit reasons he comes up with.
#20 Posted by lvl10Wizard (326 posts) -
Player1 said:
"Don't you think you should at least try to use correct grammer? Spelling? Sound educated at all?

It seems you are trying to send a formal email, a sarcastic one that is.

What it comes off as is a rambling 13 year old that wants achievements in counter strike...which is probably what you are."

Don't you think you need to spell grammar properly!??

haha sorry couldn't resist.
#21 Posted by kmdrkul (3476 posts) -
Rowr said:
"kmdrkul said:
"Either Levio is fully aware of his stupidity and he is thus a genius for his act, or he is completely unaware and is thus approximately one hundred times dumber then he makes himself out to be..."
TBH im still not sure. He is THAT good. At this point its irrelevant to a degree tho. Serious posts in response are entirely futile."
They are, however, hilarious :D
#22 Posted by banned8921 (1246 posts) -
LtColJaxson said:
"Don't expect a response..."
I told you he would respond.

Gabe Newell:
"We think of achievements as a way of creating more fun for players, along with new maps, weapons, commentary, modes, etc…"
#23 Posted by LtColJaxson (1137 posts) -
Levio91 said:
"LtColJaxson said:

Gabe Newell:
"We think of achievements as a way of creating more fun for players, along with new maps, weapons, commentary, modes, etc…""
And it was a completely useless response. Didn't answer your question (more of a comment) at all.
#24 Posted by Jayge_ (10221 posts) -
LtColJaxson said:
"Levio91 said:
"LtColJaxson said:

Gabe Newell:
"We think of achievements as a way of creating more fun for players, along with new maps, weapons, commentary, modes, etc…""
And it was a completely useless response. Didn't answer your question (more of a comment) at all."
Given that Levio's question was absolute bollocks in the first place, what do you expect?

Gabe Newell actually responds to a lot of e-mails himself, and usually they are at least a paragraph long.
#25 Edited by dsplayer1010 (2227 posts) -
Levio91 said:
"LtColJaxson said:

Gabe Newell:
Stop wasting his time Levio
#26 Posted by Crono (2669 posts) -

I have sent Gabe 2 emails and each has gotten a response.  He seems to be very much on top of PR.

Ohh and my 2 emails had to deal with the commentaries that the Valve games have since he says to email him :)

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.