Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Game Boy Advance

Platform »

The third platform in the Game Boy line, the Game Boy Advance was offered in a multitude of colors and had three hardware offerings, the sideways Game Boy Advance, the flip Game Boy Advance SP and the tiny Game Boy Advance Micro.

GBA Micro update

ahoodedfigure

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 64

Edited By ahoodedfigure

Thanks again to all of you who recommended I get the Game Boy Micro.  I've been revisiting all my old games since then.

I managed to make it to the very last stage in Super Mario Bros. 3, starting from the beginning.  But...  that Bowser.  Mario needs to take a shotgun to that guy while he's asleep and end this cycle of torment forever.  Speaking of torment, Mario's trial-and-error style can really get on my nerves sometimes. 

Lady Sia, which many of you probably haven't heard of, gets on my nerves too, but in different ways.  One problem I've had with it is that it doesn't really have a move list available.  It teaches you a move once, then expects you to remember it, even though it usually involves quite a combination of button presses and D-pad spinning (not easy on a Micro).  I would simply have chucked this game if its art style and whimsy didn't charm me utterly: the visuals in this game are varied and detailed, moreso than I've seen in most games of late, or its peers back during its run on the GBA.  I'd say it reminds me a bit of those side-scrolling, detailed 2D animated brawlers coming out of Japan and Korea like Odin Sphere, in that they're willing to put in many frames of animation.  The combat doesn't seem as smooth, though. 

Lady Sia takes some of its cheaty playbook moves from Mario, but makes the levels longer.  So unlike in Mario, where you can get past a few dastardly traps and finish the level, often Lady Sia's levels are just too long to be able to figure them out in the lives you're given.  You have endless continues, and a half-way save point on each level, but playing through these longer levels because a thing you hadn't encountered before murders you can be demoralizing.  

Still, I play it, using the occasional FAQ to remind me what moves I can use.  I just wish they had tried a bit harder from the design side of things, because I think this could have easily been a classic game, even with a similar level of difficulty.

I apparently left off my Advance Wars 2 save on the very last level, with all of the extra maps and character colors purchased.  Sort of depressing, since that last scenario is so frigging hard.

I played quite a few levels of Ogre Tactics: The Knight of Lodis.  It makes me miss Final Fantasy Tactics a bit, the old one, but it has its own charms.  One of its coolest features is a sort of achievement system that often has a direct effect on game play.  You wipe out enough ghosts as a priest, for example, and you get a badge that connotes a fear penalty for all undead attacking you, or you get a bonus to your agility stat if you hit enough people with a ranged attack.  Some of them are just badges of honor, and still others are penalties, but they're fun to collect and encourage you to experiment with things.

Compared to FFTactics, the ability to ressurrect in battle even after the person dies is nice, although you have to do it before the battle ends.  Stats go up with every hit, too, not just with level-ups, so you can grind away fairly easily to allow for the job change you want.  The more jobs you unlock, the more you get a feel for what works in a given situation.  Not sure what I feel about all this job switching stuff, would prefer it to be classless, but one thing I like is that equipment isn't limited by class.  You can have a wizard in plate armor with a two-handed sword if you want (although he's rather slow as a result).  I wound up having usually fairly traditional equipment sets for classes, but I know that I can still change that if I want to.  The game doesn't FORCE wizards to have staves and archers to have bows.

Final Fantasy Tactics Advance is another animal altogether compared to the original FFT.  I haven't played it since I last lost my Gamecube Game Boy Player to the winds of time, but I think even that game is on its last level, making me reluctant to pick it up again only to finish it.

I never really started Golden Sun, so it's sitting there waiting for me to start it in earnest, although the fact that I don't have its sequel is sort of hanging over my head.

Phantasy Star I-III is still there if I ever get the urge to play them.  I'm actually thinking I might hit III to give it another chance.  They're old-school RPGs, so there's some bad that goes with that that sort of makes me hold off despite my love of the series.

Castlevania: Circle of the Moon is always fun, but I've pretty much discovered enough of its secrets that I'm not sure I'll be able to get much more out of it.  I started a new game anyway, and made it to the point where I can try to tempt fate in the arena to see if I can get some nice loot.

Fire Emblem is there waiting to be completed.  We've beaten it multiple times, but there are still a lot of conversations to unlock.  I think it's more satisfying to do that than just read the conversations online.  We started playing it again, but the work of getting those conversations unlocked must have distracted us from going much further with it.

And Tetris...  I can't find it :P
    ahoodedfigure

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By ahoodedfigure

Thanks again to all of you who recommended I get the Game Boy Micro.  I've been revisiting all my old games since then.

I managed to make it to the very last stage in Super Mario Bros. 3, starting from the beginning.  But...  that Bowser.  Mario needs to take a shotgun to that guy while he's asleep and end this cycle of torment forever.  Speaking of torment, Mario's trial-and-error style can really get on my nerves sometimes. 

Lady Sia, which many of you probably haven't heard of, gets on my nerves too, but in different ways.  One problem I've had with it is that it doesn't really have a move list available.  It teaches you a move once, then expects you to remember it, even though it usually involves quite a combination of button presses and D-pad spinning (not easy on a Micro).  I would simply have chucked this game if its art style and whimsy didn't charm me utterly: the visuals in this game are varied and detailed, moreso than I've seen in most games of late, or its peers back during its run on the GBA.  I'd say it reminds me a bit of those side-scrolling, detailed 2D animated brawlers coming out of Japan and Korea like Odin Sphere, in that they're willing to put in many frames of animation.  The combat doesn't seem as smooth, though. 

Lady Sia takes some of its cheaty playbook moves from Mario, but makes the levels longer.  So unlike in Mario, where you can get past a few dastardly traps and finish the level, often Lady Sia's levels are just too long to be able to figure them out in the lives you're given.  You have endless continues, and a half-way save point on each level, but playing through these longer levels because a thing you hadn't encountered before murders you can be demoralizing.  

Still, I play it, using the occasional FAQ to remind me what moves I can use.  I just wish they had tried a bit harder from the design side of things, because I think this could have easily been a classic game, even with a similar level of difficulty.

I apparently left off my Advance Wars 2 save on the very last level, with all of the extra maps and character colors purchased.  Sort of depressing, since that last scenario is so frigging hard.

I played quite a few levels of Ogre Tactics: The Knight of Lodis.  It makes me miss Final Fantasy Tactics a bit, the old one, but it has its own charms.  One of its coolest features is a sort of achievement system that often has a direct effect on game play.  You wipe out enough ghosts as a priest, for example, and you get a badge that connotes a fear penalty for all undead attacking you, or you get a bonus to your agility stat if you hit enough people with a ranged attack.  Some of them are just badges of honor, and still others are penalties, but they're fun to collect and encourage you to experiment with things.

Compared to FFTactics, the ability to ressurrect in battle even after the person dies is nice, although you have to do it before the battle ends.  Stats go up with every hit, too, not just with level-ups, so you can grind away fairly easily to allow for the job change you want.  The more jobs you unlock, the more you get a feel for what works in a given situation.  Not sure what I feel about all this job switching stuff, would prefer it to be classless, but one thing I like is that equipment isn't limited by class.  You can have a wizard in plate armor with a two-handed sword if you want (although he's rather slow as a result).  I wound up having usually fairly traditional equipment sets for classes, but I know that I can still change that if I want to.  The game doesn't FORCE wizards to have staves and archers to have bows.

Final Fantasy Tactics Advance is another animal altogether compared to the original FFT.  I haven't played it since I last lost my Gamecube Game Boy Player to the winds of time, but I think even that game is on its last level, making me reluctant to pick it up again only to finish it.

I never really started Golden Sun, so it's sitting there waiting for me to start it in earnest, although the fact that I don't have its sequel is sort of hanging over my head.

Phantasy Star I-III is still there if I ever get the urge to play them.  I'm actually thinking I might hit III to give it another chance.  They're old-school RPGs, so there's some bad that goes with that that sort of makes me hold off despite my love of the series.

Castlevania: Circle of the Moon is always fun, but I've pretty much discovered enough of its secrets that I'm not sure I'll be able to get much more out of it.  I started a new game anyway, and made it to the point where I can try to tempt fate in the arena to see if I can get some nice loot.

Fire Emblem is there waiting to be completed.  We've beaten it multiple times, but there are still a lot of conversations to unlock.  I think it's more satisfying to do that than just read the conversations online.  We started playing it again, but the work of getting those conversations unlocked must have distracted us from going much further with it.

And Tetris...  I can't find it :P
    oldschool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 10

#2  Edited By oldschool

Was I one of the ones who put you on to the Micro?  Sort of rings bells.  I am sure Linkyshinks was in on it.

That is some fine GBA games you have there too.  FFTA, Advance Wars (both) and Fire Emblem (both) are amongst my finest memories of the GBA.  I am sure eBay is full of a lot of the old games worth playing.  

This all makes me want to dig out my GBA Micro again.

ahoodedfigure

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By ahoodedfigure
    @oldschool: yep

ebay's not as easy to use for me as it is for others, so I don't know I'll be able to take advantage of it.  What games do you have for yours?
    oldschool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 10

#4  Edited By oldschool
    @ahoodedfigure said:
    " @oldschool: yep  ebay's not as easy to use for me as it is for others, so I don't know I'll be able to take advantage of it.  What games do you have for yours? "
    Oh dear, I have 110 games, so I am not about to name them.  Admittedly, a number are kids games as my daughters were wuite young back in those days  ^_^ 

Main ones though would be all the Pokemon, all the Harvest Moon, all the Final Fantasy,  both Breath of Fire, both Golden Sun, Tales of Phantasia, all the Zelda, all the Metroid, a couple of F-Zero, all the Mario (platform, Yoshi, Kart, Tennis), Kingdom Hearts, all the Donkey Kong, some Yu-Gi-Oh, Banjo Kazooie, a couple of Spyro, WarioWare (including Twisted), Swords of Mana, Kirby, Lost Vikings, a few Sonic - that would be the better ones. 

Man, going through my games, just makes want to play many of them again, although I would go the Gameboy Player on the Cube option again - on the big Plasma  ^_^
    Eder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 43

#5  Edited By Eder

Another not very known game fun super fun is Ninja Five-O or something.

Avatar image for captainlunchbox
    Captainlunchbox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 20

#6  Edited By Captainlunchbox

The Legend of Zelda Minish Cap is brilliant. Pick that up if you get a chance. Also, where'd you get Knight of Lodis? I'd murder for a copy of it. I can't find it anywhere.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.