Great GBA RPGs?

#1 Posted by Gladiator_Games (443 posts) -

I've had a tickling to play some old RPG's as of late. Played out everything I've got on the SNES, so I turn to my second retro platform of choice, the GBA. I'm looking for some awesome RPGs, preferably with long play times to keep me out of trouble for a while. As a quick heads up, I've played the Final Fantasy games on it (including, and loved, Tactics). Were there any other RPG gems on the system?

#2 Posted by Codeacious (960 posts) -
#3 Posted by AlisterCat (5468 posts) -

Golden Sun, Minish Cap ( I guess that's an RPG).

#4 Posted by kishan6 (1914 posts) -

Fire emblem is all you need my friend

#5 Posted by Witzig (326 posts) -

I thought that Mario and Luigi game was pretty kickass, and funny too. (wow Luigi is a funky name to spell)
#6 Posted by FancySoapsMan (5796 posts) -

Mother 3.
 
You're going to need to use an emulator to play it in English though.

#7 Posted by ch13696 (4582 posts) -

This is based on what nobody else has said yet. 
 

  • Breath of Fire
  • Breath of Fire II
  • Final Fantasy Tactics Advance
  • Riviera The Promised Land
  • Shining Force Resurrection of the Dark Dragon
  • Shining Soul
  • Shining Soul II
  • Super Robot Taisen Original Generation
  • Super Robot Taisen Original Generation 2
  • Tales of Phantasia
  • Zoids Legacy (My personal favorite)
There's other ones also like the Castlevania series, but I'm not sure if it's a long enough play time.
#8 Posted by Video_Game_King (35793 posts) -

FIRE EMBLEM FIRE EMBLEM FIRE EMBLEM! *Fire Emblem roar*

#9 Posted by DonChipotle (2693 posts) -

No don't play Golden Sun. That game is not fun to play and is too wordy for its own good. Play Summon Night: Swordcraft Story 2 instead

#10 Posted by corruptsaves (212 posts) -

Megaman Battle Network is ok, forget which one I played now but they all seem very similar. 

#11 Posted by TehFlan (1944 posts) -

Pokemon, Fire Emblem (and Sacred Stones), Megman Battle Network, and Golden Sun (both of them)

#12 Posted by Gamer_152 (14049 posts) -

Where's all the Pokemon love in this thread? How could you forget the third gen Pokemon games?

Moderator
#13 Posted by zudthespud (3281 posts) -

Another recommendation for Golden Sun from me.

@Gamer_152 said:

Where's all the Pokemon love in this thread? How could you forget the third gen Pokemon games?

While they are nostalgic for me, I think they'd be too easy for a new player, especially 3rd gen.

#14 Posted by Skogen (430 posts) -
#15 Posted by Gamer_152 (14049 posts) -
@zudthespud said:

@Gamer_152 said:

Where's all the Pokemon love in this thread? How could you forget the third gen Pokemon games?

While they are nostalgic for me, I think they'd be too easy for a new player, especially 3rd gen.

Yeah, you might be right about that one.
Moderator
#16 Posted by jewunit (1054 posts) -
@Skogen said:

Tactics Ogre: the Knight of Lodis

I loved this game!  It's definitely an overlooked gem.  I also agree with Fire Emblem and Mario & Luigi: Superstar Saga.  I wasn't a big fan of Final Fantasy Tactics Advance, but it's a decent RPG. 
#17 Posted by BraveToaster (12590 posts) -
#18 Posted by Codeacious (960 posts) -
@jewunit said:
@Skogen said:

Tactics Ogre: the Knight of Lodis

I loved this game!  It's definitely an overlooked gem.  I also agree with Fire Emblem and Mario & Luigi: Superstar Saga.  I wasn't a big fan of Final Fantasy Tactics Advance, but it's a decent RPG. 
Shit, I totally forgot about this one. If you loved FFT, GET THIS GAME. I've sunk around 400 hours into it.
#19 Posted by Video_Game_King (35793 posts) -
@Gamer_152 said:
Where's all the Pokemon love in this thread? How could you forget the third gen Pokemon games?
You're assuming that he hasn't played the second generation of Pokémon.
#20 Posted by RTSlord (1198 posts) -

Poke-goddamn-mon

#21 Posted by ThunderSlash (1508 posts) -

Yggdra Union
Breath of Fire 2 (although I guess that is a SNES game)
Golden Sun
Zone of the Enders: Fist of Mars

#22 Posted by yoshimitz707 (2450 posts) -

Etrian Odyssey!

#23 Posted by the_OFFICIAL_jAPanese_teaBAG (4307 posts) -

super smash bros superstar saga.  its probably my favourite game on the Game Boy

#24 Posted by DeF (4775 posts) -
@yoshimitz707 said:

Etrian Odyssey!

.....GBA??
 
@the_OFFICIAL_jAPanese_teaBAG said:
super smash bros superstar saga.  its probably my favourite game on the Game Boy

you mean mario & luigi superstar saga?
#25 Posted by coakroach (2486 posts) -

Mother 3, Pokemon Firered and Final Fantasy Tactics Advance

#26 Posted by MEATBALL (3013 posts) -

@AlisterCat said:

Minish Cap ( I guess that's an RPG).

No, it's not. Stop it. It does have the great part going for it at least.

#27 Posted by Arceion (199 posts) -
@FancySoapsMan: best game on GBA hands down
#28 Posted by Scrawnto (2432 posts) -

@isnipeyoudie said:

@jewunit said:
@Skogen said:

Tactics Ogre: the Knight of Lodis

I loved this game! It's definitely an overlooked gem. I also agree with Fire Emblem and Mario & Luigi: Superstar Saga. I wasn't a big fan of Final Fantasy Tactics Advance, but it's a decent RPG.
Shit, I totally forgot about this one. If you loved FFT, GET THIS GAME. I've sunk around 400 hours into it.

Hell yeah! Great SRPG. I also agree on Fire Emblem, M&L: Superstar Saga, and I'll throw in my support for Golden Sun. Looking back, I have no idea how I ever had the time to play all those. No wait, that's right, I didn't have a life back then. Still, excellent games.

#29 Posted by rmanthorp (3850 posts) -
Moderator
#30 Posted by J12088 (434 posts) -

Azure dreams. So it's GBC but you know..close enough. Golden sun too.

#31 Posted by the_OFFICIAL_jAPanese_teaBAG (4307 posts) -
@DeF: yes
#32 Posted by yoshimitz707 (2450 posts) -
@DeF
@yoshimitz707 said:

Etrian Odyssey!

.....GBA??
 
@the_OFFICIAL_jAPanese_teaBAG said:
super smash bros superstar saga.  its probably my favourite game on the Game Boy

you mean mario & luigi superstar saga?
Ah fuck, I meant Riviera: The Promised Land.
#33 Posted by Contro (2040 posts) -

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.