Just getting into GBA games. Suggestions?

#1 Edited by xyzygy (9983 posts) -

I 100%ed one playthrough of Aria of Sorrow already, and I just finished Metroid Fusion. The games I am going to play next are:

Castlevania: Circle of the Moon  
Metroid: Zero Mission 
Castlevania: Harmony of Dissonance 
The Legend of Zelda: The Minish Cap  

Currently playing Circle of the Moon. It's really different than the other 3 Castlevania games I've played and loved (SOTN, AOS, POR) but I'm liking it nonetheless. I'm trying to switch the games up, so it'll be like Castlevania, then Metroid, Castlevania, Metroid, Castlevania, Zelda. I freaking LOVED Aria of Sorrow. Too bad I can't find Dawn of Sorrow anywhere for my DS :(

After I finish these games however I am going to need more because I'm becoming addicted! Please tell me of the best games on the system. No Pokemon though, I'm actually playing Diamond right now too on my DS and that is giving me my Pokemon fill. Thanks.  

#2 Posted by UnlivedPhalanx (475 posts) -

Zero Mission is AWESOME, but I have just one thing to say: 

GOLDEN 

FUCKING 

SUN 

Golden Sun, my most favoritest GBA titles of all. 

Love, 
 UnlivedPhalanx

#3 Posted by Ratcabbage (250 posts) -

Golden Sun, Golden Sun The Lost Age, and Mario and Luigi Superstar Saga.

#4 Posted by roofy (1005 posts) -
#5 Posted by Brown (12 posts) -

Final Fantasy Tactics advance is great :)

#6 Edited by xyzygy (9983 posts) -
@UnlivedPhalanx: Sweet, an RPG! Never heard of these Golden Sun games before. Any other good RPGs on the system? 

@Brown: Does it have a lot of micromanagement?
#7 Posted by ElCapitan (402 posts) -

Old school Advance Wars and the Final Fantasy VI port are pretty good too

#8 Posted by wonderhare (350 posts) -

Final Fantasy Tactics Advance definitely, as well as The Legend of Zelda : A Link to the Past .

#9 Posted by xyzygy (9983 posts) -
@wonderhare said:
" Final Fantasy Tactics Advance definitely, as well as The Legend of Zelda : A Link to the Past . "
I beat LotP when I was 5 on my SNES... good memories, one of my favorites games :D
#10 Posted by TwoLines (2810 posts) -

Warioland 4 is a cool platformer.

#11 Posted by Adanux (64 posts) -

I can't recommend Fire Emblem (7) highly enough. It was the first game in the series released in english so you don't need to worry about it being overly difficult and it has the best plot out of any Fire Emblem game I've played.

#12 Edited by JGPM (11 posts) -

Definitely check out the Sonic Advance trilogy or the Super Mario Advance remake series, particularly the ones  of Super Mario Bros. 3 and Super Mario World (Super Mario Bros. 4) if you're into classic platformers. The Sonic games have a really nice retro-yet-updated feel and the Mario remakes do a spectacular job polishing and updating some legendary games.

For RPGs if you like Final Fantasy there are the really solid remakes of I, II, IV, V and VI. The ones of IV and VI in particular are of exceptionally stellar quality-One of the things the GBA was really excellent at was updating and re-introducing classic NES and Super Nintendo games. Other than that, the Golden Sun games are probably the ones that stick out for me the most as well for RPGs.

One of the most memorable games on the Game Boy Advance for me was Advance Wars: It's a maddeningly delightful and addictive turn-based strategy game with a charming art style, a great sense of humour and really deep gameplay. The sequel, Advance Wars 2: Black Hole Rising, is also very good but the original is still my favourite. If you have a DS, there was a final entry in the story with Advance Wars Dual Strike and a retcon/reboot with Advance Wars Days of Ruin. The original GBA game is still the place to go for many fans though.

#13 Posted by PenguinDust (12514 posts) -

You should take a look at Sword of Mana and Astroboy: Omega Factor.  The first is a great JRPG although I think it is a remake from an earlier game.  The second is a great but under appreciated side-scrolling shooter.   This one took me a few years to find but I finally did and it is still great.  Balls to the walls fun with giant colorful explosions and effects. 

#14 Posted by luce (4045 posts) -

Fire emblems, FF 6, Boktai , Metroids( fusion and zero mission), Megaman zero 4...and so many others

#15 Posted by BeachThunder (11929 posts) -

Metroid Fusion
Zelda: Minish Cap
Warioware

#16 Posted by Scarlet_Rogue (500 posts) -

Megaman Zero series

#17 Posted by RandomInternetUser (6789 posts) -

Metroid Fusion.

#18 Posted by StarFoxA (5157 posts) -

Dude... Mario & Luigi: Superstar Saga

#19 Posted by Natsurium (10 posts) -

Megaman Battle Network is a fun RPG series that ate up my time back in the GBA days. The first 3 are great, with 2 or 3 usually being considered the best.

#20 Posted by JJOR64 (18989 posts) -
@StarFoxA said:
" Dude... Mario & Luigi: Superstar Saga "
This.  Best game on GBA IMO.  Also, get Zelda: The Minish Cap.

@TwoLines said:
" Warioland 4 is a cool platformer. "
This as well.  It's not as good as Wario Land 3, but it's still a great game.
#21 Posted by Tordah (2479 posts) -

Golden Sun for sure!

#22 Posted by xyzygy (9983 posts) -

Sweet guys, now I have so much to look forward to! Definitely going to check all of these out. I'm especially excited for Golden Sun now :D

#23 Posted by Icemael (6320 posts) -
I'd recommend the following:

• The Legend of Zelda: The Minish Cap - My second favorite Zelda game, right after A Link to the Past.
  • Mega Man Battle Network 3 (and, if you like it, the others) - One of my favorite role-playing games.
  • Dragon Ball Z: The Legacy of Goku 2 - A great beat 'em up with light RPG elements.
  • Pokemon Sapphire - My personal favorite Pokemon game.
  • Mega Man Zero 1-4 - Superb side-scrollers.
  • Summon Night: Swordcraft Story 2 - A fun little JRPG.
#24 Edited by Roflwaffles (184 posts) -
  1. Castlevania: Aria of Sorrow  
  2. Mario & Luigi
  3. Metroid Fusion
  4. Golden Sun
  5. Advance Wars 2
  6. Wario Ware, Inc
  7. Kirby: Nightmare in Dream Land
  8. Yoshi's Island Super Mario Advance 3
  9. Super Mario Bros. 3
  10. Pokemon Pinball
  11. Zelda: A Link to the Past
  12. Snood
#25 Posted by xyzygy (9983 posts) -
@Icemael: After beating Aria of Sorrow I finally know who your Avatar is. Soma is so awesome, and he's the coolest looking Castlevania character there is!
#26 Posted by nail1080 (1975 posts) -

Hmmm admitting you are using an emulator? not very smart, shouldn't this be locked?

#27 Posted by AgentJ (8778 posts) -
@xyzygy: I'm not happy that you're running the games on an emulator, but that doesn't mean I'm going to refrain from recommending games
BTW, Shantae is naturally a GBC game but had GBA enhancements to it.

Personal Gameboy Collection

Of all Gameboy consoles, these are the games I own

1. Golden Sun: The Lost Age

finished (twice)

2. Pokémon Gold/Silver

finished (twice)

3. Shantae

finished

4. Castlevania: Circle of the Moon

nearly finished

5. Final Fantasy VI
6. Golden Sun

finished (twice)

7. Fire Emblem

finished

8. Castlevania: Aria of Sorrow

finished

10. The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past

played

11. Advance Wars

nearly finished

12. Yggdra Union: We'll Never Fight Alone

played

16. Metroid: Zero Mission

finished

17. Zone of the Enders: The Fist of Mars

finished (twice)

18. Riviera: The Promised Land

finished

19. Tales of Phantasia

played

20. Super Street Fighter II: Turbo Revival

played

23. Mario Kart: Super Circuit

finished

25. Gunstar Super Heroes
26. Fire Emblem: The Sacred Stones

finished

27. Final Fantasy V
28. Final Fantasy I & II: Dawn of Souls

finished

29. Drill Dozer

played

30. Astro Boy: Omega Factor
31. Boktai 2: Solar Boy Django
32. Boktai: The Sun is in Your Hand
#28 Posted by Icemael (6320 posts) -
@xyzygy: I know, right?
#29 Posted by xyzygy (9983 posts) -
@AgentJ: Ah, I was hoping I'd get an AgentJ list in here. Thanks!
#30 Posted by mutha3 (4985 posts) -
motherfucking fire emblem!

A severe lack of recommendations for that one in this thread.
#31 Posted by Sogeman (871 posts) -

Definitly Golden Sun 1+2

#32 Posted by Brendan (7806 posts) -

I know it has already been suggested, but definitely the Golden Sun games.  They were made for the system with a passion.
#33 Posted by Landon (4143 posts) -

Astro Boy: Omega Factor. One of the Top 5 best action games on the GBA.

#34 Posted by AgentJ (8778 posts) -
@xyzygy: I couldn't possibly dissapoint my fans now could I? :P
As everyone has said, Golden Sun 1 and 2 are mandatory. Metroid Zero Mission is great, and you might as well pick up all the Final Fantasy ports if you haven't played them before. VI will be tough to find but is well worth it. And of course any Castlevania you can get your hands on.
#35 Posted by dbz1995 (4790 posts) -
@Adanux said:
" I can't recommend Fire Emblem (7) highly enough. It was the first game in the series released in english so you don't need to worry about it being overly difficult and it has the best plot out of any Fire Emblem game I've played. "
This a million times. Get 8 as well.
#36 Posted by RoujinX (419 posts) -
@UnlivedPhalanx said:
"Zero Mission is AWESOME, but I have just one thing to say:  GOLDEN  FUCKING  SUN   Golden Sun, my most favoritest GBA titles of all.  Love,  UnlivedPhalanx "

What this dude said. Golden Sun is for the GBA what Chrono Trigger or FFVI are for the SuperNES.
#37 Posted by UnlivedPhalanx (475 posts) -
@StarFoxA said:
" Dude... Mario & Luigi: Superstar Saga "
Yeah that's a solid recommendation too. I totally forgot they had GBA titles. I keep thinking they are all DS now.
#38 Posted by oldschool (7264 posts) -

Fire Emblem (both), Advance Wars (both) & Final Fantasy Tactics Advance are by far, the best games on the GBA.

#39 Posted by Al3xand3r (7574 posts) -

How about you, like, don't pirate shit?

#40 Posted by oldschool (7264 posts) -
@Al3xand3r said:
" How about you, like, don't pirate shit? "
Well, these GBA games are far from shit (^_^), but very true.  Not long before the mods arrive I imagine.
#41 Posted by Asurastrike (2166 posts) -

Golden Sun
Golden Sun 2: The Lost Age
Final Fantasy Tactics Advance
Metroid Fusion
The Legend of Zelda: A link to the Past

#42 Posted by BionicMonster (1032 posts) -

Can someone point me to where the OP said he was using an emulator, bcuz i can't find it.
#43 Posted by Vinchenzo (6192 posts) -

I used to love the Mega Man Battle Network franchise. At least the first few.

#44 Posted by Redbullet685 (6044 posts) -

warioware: Twisted.

#45 Posted by kashif1 (1428 posts) -

megaman, megaman battle network, fire emblem, pokemon, final fantasy remakes, mario world,  zelda, superstar sega, and a whole lot more

#46 Posted by buzz_clik (6975 posts) -
@TwoLines said:
" Warioland 4 is a cool platformer. "
Apart from Circle of the Moon, this is precisely the game I came in to recommend.
#47 Posted by Captainlunchbox (445 posts) -

My Top 11 GBA list
 http://www.giantbomb.com/profile/captainlunchbox/top-10-plus-1-gba-games/46-39721/ 

#48 Posted by rentfn (1279 posts) -

River City Ransom.

#49 Posted by ultron100 (11 posts) -

Shining Soul 2.  Great Diablo clone!

#50 Posted by UnsolvedParadox (1863 posts) -

I believe Tetris Worlds was on the GBA? Should be dirt cheap now, check it out.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.