• 98 results
#51 Posted by lemon360 (1102 posts) -

tetris. my favorite gameboy game being super mario land 2
#52 Posted by Ossi (1229 posts) -

Tetris.

#53 Posted by mracoon (4967 posts) -

Pokemon.

#54 Posted by FireBurger (1479 posts) -

I got the yellow Game Boy pocket for Christmas and it came with Donkey Kong Land III.

#55 Posted by Koukou (39 posts) -

Pokeman!

The red one...

#56 Posted by eroticfishcake (7783 posts) -

Pokemon Red...which I found in field outside my house. Strange that considering I pretty much live in the country. Still works in fact as well. Judging by the responses here, it was probably nicked as well. My deepest condolences to you poor souls.

#57 Posted by TheGreatGuero (9130 posts) -

Tetris.

#58 Posted by the_stig (234 posts) -

Tetris, I played that game forever.  After that it is a toss up between Super Mario Land or Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Fall of the Foot Clan.

#59 Posted by PartTimeNinja (344 posts) -

I didn't have an original Gameboy. But I did buy a blue Gameboy Pocket with a copy of Pokemon Blue back when it came out.

#60 Posted by Asurastrike (2166 posts) -

Pokemon

#61 Posted by Emandudeguyperson (2502 posts) -

Fucking awful F1 Championship...

#62 Posted by Breadfan (6589 posts) -
#63 Posted by masternater27 (918 posts) -
@JJOR64: Yeah, it's kind of a weird choice I suppose.  I got money for my Bday to go buy a GB pocket and a game, it was by far the most amount of money I'd ever seen in real life.  I had never actually played a Zelda game in those days either, so I'm not 100% sure what drew me to it, perhaps it was some Nintendo Power information.  I never really got that far into it, I've always been more of a console gamer, but I had absolutely no regrets about it, which is the exact opposite to how I feel right after spending that much money nowadays.  The bliss of being a child.  But yeah, it seems like a lot of these guys are a little bit younger than me, Link's Awakening is much before their time, didn't hop on the Gameboy train until Pokemon, which is the game that made me get a GBC, because I was absolutely obsessed with it and jealous of the people who got to see a slight tint of yellow on Pikachu. 

This turned into a long and rambling memoir, I apologize.
#64 Posted by JJOR64 (18954 posts) -
@masternater27: That's OK.  I'm not saying Link's Awakening is bad, it's actually a good game.
#65 Posted by HatKing (5891 posts) -

@digeratiX90 said:

"I had the original gameboy in red with kirby's dreamland. "

That was my first game too!  I had a clear gameboy pocket, though.  I think Poke'Mon Blue might have been my second game then again I don't really remember the games I had aside from the two of those.
#66 Posted by jonnyboy (2920 posts) -

I never owned a nes or snes, mostly cos there were late coming to the UK and fairly expensive. I did buy a Gameboy Colour when I started working at EB when I was 16, just to play GTA1. Also picked up a copy of Links Awakening DX. Didn't like it. Best game I ever owned was Metal Gear Solid For the GBC. That game was truly awesome. 

#67 Posted by Lies (3866 posts) -

Tetris, I think?

Dunno, tough to remember.

#68 Posted by Dr_Feelgood38 (1550 posts) -

Pokemon Red. That was such an amazing game.

#69 Posted by Diamond (8634 posts) -

Tetris, got my GB before Game Gear was even out.  Used my Gameboy brick until 1998, steadily, and I wasn't even gentle with it.  Slammed it, dropped it, licked my fingers and rubbed em on the screen to clean it off.  Never had to get it repaired once (although I had a flickering line on the bottom of the screen for most of those years).  Man that was an epic system.

#70 Posted by LiquidPrince (15912 posts) -

Tetris.

#71 Posted by dalin88 (24 posts) -

I play first game is C.S

#72 Posted by newfire (27 posts) -

I remember getting Mega Man along with my green game boy pocket for my 7th bday. Best present ever, even though I sucked at Mega Man and the game wasn't as awesome as the REAL Mega Man 1 for NES.

#73 Posted by JJWeatherman (14558 posts) -

Pokemon Red, and I actually got it with a purple Game Boy Color. Good times.

#74 Posted by PolygonSlayer (425 posts) -

Tom & Jerry. I got my GB as Links Awakening came out, but could not afford to buy it with my GB so I chose to get another game instead. I was bummed, but to be honest and even looking back at it now, the Tom & Jerry game on the GB isn't a terrible game. Mediocre perhaps, but not a bad game. Had a lot of fun with it :)

#75 Edited by Cloudenvy (5891 posts) -

Pokémon Blue. So much of my childhood went into that game.

#76 Posted by adam1808 (1453 posts) -

TETRIS

#77 Posted by MyNiceIceLife (618 posts) -

pretty sure it was Tetris

#78 Posted by AndrewB (7588 posts) -

Necro threads can still be relevant!

I know for sure I got my original model Gameboy with Super Mario Land, but either at the same time or shortly after I had Pokemon Blue and I played it to deaaaath.

#79 Edited by Bell_End (1208 posts) -

Tetris

i had a go on a Gameboy recently. man i had forgotten just how big it is and just how TERRIBLE the screen is. how did i put up with that.

the Gameboy Advance SP was the first Gameboy that was actually good.

#80 Posted by johnaze (73 posts) -

First game was Donkey Kong, which was so awesome!

#81 Posted by BSw (252 posts) -
#82 Posted by Domar_DK (36 posts) -

My first GB game was Gremlins 2. I actually really loved it, despite the fact it was very hard.

#83 Posted by buft (3316 posts) -

@Eirikr said:

Uh, Tetris!
#84 Posted by akeripper4 (153 posts) -

stand alone exluding tetris, kung fu masters

#85 Posted by byterunner (305 posts) -

pokemon, got as a kindergarten graduation present with my gameboy color.

it was manly given to me, so I would have something to do for the summer trip we took up to Canada the next day. Which worked. Got a red gbc with PKMN Red.

#86 Posted by SaFt (383 posts) -

Super Mario Land 3: Wario Land. God i love that game!

#87 Posted by cid798 (240 posts) -
#88 Posted by psylah (2170 posts) -

My first GB was a Color one, and my first game was Pokemans red.

#89 Posted by Captain_Felafel (1568 posts) -

The Lion King, which is what happens when your parents allow you to pick out one game and you've never heard of this "Pokemon" thing before. This was quickly remedied a month later, when I picked up Blue Version, but for that first month, it was all Lion King, all the time. *Shudder*

#90 Edited by J12088 (445 posts) -

Super mario land and super mario land 2. I got those two with the gameboy. Gameboy was orange. Later got donkey kong that came in a orange cartridge which was cool as hell.

#91 Posted by JackSukeru (5910 posts) -

@BSw said:

Yup, this one.

Good game.

#92 Posted by frankfartmouth (1016 posts) -

I had Super Mario Land and Tetris, but I don't remember which one I played first. I think it was Super Mario Land.

#93 Posted by TobbRobb (4603 posts) -

Considering this thread is ANCIENT, I've probably already said it. But, Pokemon Yellow.

#94 Posted by JonathanAshleyMoore (283 posts) -

Super Mario Land.

#95 Posted by Butano (1731 posts) -

Hmmm.....I think it was Mega Man: Dr Wily's Revenge or some Breakout clone whose name escapes me. Tetris would be another possibility, but I was like 3 or 4 at the time, so I don't remember specifics.

#96 Posted by MideonNViscera (2257 posts) -

Tetris. Also got some shitty Spider-Man game about Spider Slayers at the same time.

#97 Posted by ervonymous (1297 posts) -

I got a yellow GBC and Pokémon Yellow for Christmas. What a productive holiday that was.

#98 Posted by MegaMetaTurtle (414 posts) -

Kirby's Dreamland and The Real Ghostbusters :)

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.