Why would you ever rush a game?

#1 Edited by Mikemcn (6988 posts) -

What is the point of shipping a game early? The only income drain you need to have is worker salary so as long as you release a product before march your fine. Im asking this because I haven't had a reason to yet and it seems like the negatives of putting out a game early outweight the positives.

Keep in Mind im talking about the mechanics of the Game Dev Story Iphone game.

#2 Edited by AnAmericanPatriot (141 posts) -

[REDACTED]

#3 Posted by Mikemcn (6988 posts) -
@AnAmericanPatriot said:
" I'M GUESSING that it's USUALLY THE publisher's. They ARE BIG ASS COMPANIES running ON BIG ASS schedules and, for SOME, IF SHIT DOESN'T get shipped on the day it's SUPPOSED TO all sorts of STUFF CAN go wrong from lost revenue, wasted ADVERTISING, worker SALARY, and investors. "
You know im talking about an Iphone game, right?
#4 Posted by Origina1Penguin (3501 posts) -

I read your game will make less money if it ships right after Christmas. Maybe a couple bugs leftover would be okay as long as you make a holiday launch? I haven't tested it yet.

#5 Posted by AnAmericanPatriot (141 posts) -
@Mikemcn:  
WHOOPS! Sorry. 
#6 Posted by SethPhotopoulos (5263 posts) -
@Mikemcn said:
" @AnAmericanPatriot said:
" I'M GUESSING that it's USUALLY THE publisher's. They ARE BIG ASS COMPANIES running ON BIG ASS schedules and, for SOME, IF SHIT DOESN'T get shipped on the day it's SUPPOSED TO all sorts of STUFF CAN go wrong from lost revenue, wasted ADVERTISING, worker SALARY, and investors. "
You know im talking about an Iphone game, right? "
I don't even know he can work a keyboard.
#7 Posted by Driadon (2998 posts) -
@Mikemcn: I think there's some date of release sensitivity, meaning that your game is more likely to sell like hotcakes during the Christmas buildup then, say, January, though I haven't tested enough to say for sure.
#8 Posted by shivermetimbers (774 posts) -

People don't review Iphone games. If the game looks interesting enough to be played on the train, the office, and the bathroom, people will buy it. All in the marketing.
#9 Posted by FluxWaveZ (19342 posts) -
@shivermetimbers said:
" People don't review Iphone games. If the game looks interesting enough to be played on the train, the office, and the bathroom, people will buy it. All in the marketing. "
He's talking about doing a specific action in the iPhone game.  This isn't some sort of philosophical question.
#10 Posted by Mikemcn (6988 posts) -
@AnAmericanPatriot said:
" @Mikemcn:  WHOOPS! Sorry.  "
Haha its ok 

@Driadon said:
" @Mikemcn: I think there's some date of release sensitivity, meaning that your game is more likely to sell like hotcakes during the Christmas buildup then, say, January, though I haven't tested enough to say for sure. "
Im going to have to try that then, I'll see what happens if I rush a game in Month 11 or 12.
#11 Posted by shivermetimbers (774 posts) -
@FluxWaveZ:
Ahhhhhh I get it.
#12 Posted by Brontes_Muse (187 posts) -

Guys it's totally about the launch window.  The same game will gross 3 times more if released in october, if it's released in july.   40 bugs takes about two months.  Release before the end of november if you can push it.  Other wise you'll make a ton right away than nothing.   

Bugs actually don't really effect the score too much.  It's almost like "bug fixing" is the period of time you can wait to release it.  And your dudes get knowledge from it.  

#13 Posted by DickDarlington (108 posts) -

I don't know if it affected sales that much, but after I released my first console I felt that I had to release some games quickly so that it would sell more consoles. I do notice my console sales do spike up after I have a game come out.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.