So is this worth getting?

#1 Posted by Dizzyhippos (1569 posts) -

Its like 8 bucks on sale till the 5th is it worth it? and please dont just say its only $8

#2 Edited by Zaccheus (1805 posts) -

It was ok, I guess... If you haven't played Game Dev Story on iOS go for it, it's really similar.

#3 Posted by Funkydupe (3321 posts) -

Heck no.

#4 Posted by audioBusting (1672 posts) -

It's crazy similar to Game Dev Story, but it's much bigger in scope and variety. It scratches the same itches that game does, at the very least. It's neat if you follow the industry enough to understand its references. I think it's worth $8.

#5 Posted by Dizzyhippos (1569 posts) -

So its game dev story on a PC ?

#6 Posted by tooPrime (345 posts) -

I never played Game Dev Story, but I thought Tycoon was really enjoyable.

#7 Edited by EchoEcho (837 posts) -

I found it to be fun at first, but once I realized how rigidly structured the systems in the game were, it lost much of its entertainment value. The list of bizarre, arbitrary, and downright frustrating design decisions is long and disappointing.

#8 Edited by noizy (716 posts) -

Try the demo. I tried it and didn't fell it was that great.

You create a game, pick themes from a list, adjust sliders on design elements that you don't quite know the impact they will have, hire staff with sets of skills, and at the end of the cycle you debug, release the game and it seems a bit like a dice roll if it's a success or a dud. I presume once you've played the game a few times you start to understand what characteristic to pick for which type of game, and which combination of themes work well together. It seems to me like part of way to be successful is to reverse engineer the right choices to make or go on a wiki and find all the answers to ruin your fun. Either way, didn't seem work putting time into this. I tried Game Dev Story on Android, and it felt very similar. If you have a tablet, might as well try that one to get your Tycoon fix.

#9 Posted by Andorski (5365 posts) -

I liked Game Dev Story much more enjoyable even though Game Dev Tycoon is extremely similar to it. The artwork and - "tone," i guess - felt so happy and uplifting.

GDS is not on PC but you can play it on iOS and Android.

#10 Posted by CheapPoison (742 posts) -

Maybe in a sale.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.