So... is this worth playing?

#1 Posted by KaramonD (53 posts) -

Did anyone pick this up? Anyone have any initial thoughts?

#2 Posted by Nals (76 posts) -

I grabbed it.

Yeah, it's worth it. Probably not at $50 for most people, but $40 for sure if you are a fan of the series, and $30 if not.

It's some strange mixup of Fallout with Perks/SPECIAL/Traits/Getting Perks through choices in game, and Dragon Age 1/2 console combat. There are two stories that I assume converge, with two very different characters, both of which feel fun to play. And so far the story is pretty damn good, and most of the reviews hailed the endings as really well done/fitting to the source material, so I assume that'll stay consistent.

It's got a lot of jank/issues though, the VA is just outright bad, apparently it has some technical issues, although I haven't seen any, while the gameplay is built around pause/give orders, it's a little touch and go, since it was obviously built around console control schemes, so you have to tab from ally to ally to use their abilities in combat. The over movement and stuff like that also feels sort of strange at first, though I quickly got used to it.

I grabbed it on a whim, and so far haven't regretted the purchase, loaded it up while Diablo 3 was having issues earlier, and am having more fun messing around with this then I was trying to get D3 to stay stable. The characters are nice and different, with one guy being able to turn into a dog, and the other being able to control fire, alongside just the basic differences/story differences, so yeah.

It's not shit, which is a surprise in itself I guess.

#3 Posted by Sterling (2153 posts) -

@Nals said:

I grabbed it.

Yeah, it's worth it. Probably not at $50 for most people, but $40 for sure if you are a fan of the series, and $30 if not.

I agree. Its worth a play, but not at full price. It should have been a $39.99 game.

#4 Posted by Brodehouse (9841 posts) -

Remember when you're playing Game of Thrones, you either win or you die.

Two shows a night, two drink minimum, tip your waitress.

#5 Posted by Inkerman (1451 posts) -

@Brodehouse said:

Remember when you're playing Game of Thrones, you either win or you die. Two shows a night, two drink minimum, tip your waitress.
#6 Posted by Pabba (337 posts) -

Got it yesterday, played through the first two chapters so far. It's like a weaker version of Dragon Age: Origins, and with that said, one should definitely hold back until it drops in price. $30 or $40 is a little nicer sounding. Experienced a lot of clipping and missing textures on the 360, and the text is super tiny throughout. Good voice acting from the actor who plays Varys though.

#7 Posted by iceman228433 (616 posts) -

Has anyone tried the pc version of this does it look any better?

#8 Posted by Sackmanjones (4685 posts) -

Reviews have been pretty poor for it but it seems like users have enjoyed it more. I love the tv show but I'm probably gonna skip this kne

#9 Posted by theuselessgod (308 posts) -

I'll probably grab it on some Gamefly sale at $15-20.

I love the books and the story seems compelling, but the graphics and gameplay look...mediocre.

If you want dark fantasy, The Witcher 2 would be the way to roll on the gaming front.

#10 Posted by ballsnbayonets (155 posts) -

its kind of like a low budget dragon age 1, it helps to be familar with this type of rpg to get through the gameplay. the story however gets increasingly interesting the farther it goes and is worth seeing the endings. so if youre willing to put up with the gameplay id say pick it up. but only if you really like the show because the plot feeds into your tv show experience imo.

#11 Posted by Jay_Ray (1077 posts) -

@ballsnbayonets said:

its kind of like a low budget dragon age 1, it helps to be familar with this type of rpg to get through the gameplay. the story however gets increasingly interesting the farther it goes and is worth seeing the endings. so if youre willing to put up with the gameplay id say pick it up. but only if you really like the show because the plot feeds into your tv show experience imo.

This is 100% true, you need to play it just for the story if you like the series or books. The game play feels dated and can be a slog to get through but the story is pretty awesome so far.

#12 Edited by alternate (2695 posts) -

@Jay_Ray said:

@ballsnbayonets said:

This is 100% true, you need to play it just for the story if you like the series or books. The game play feels dated and can be a slog to get through but the story is pretty awesome so far.

Not sure about need. Only if you are some obsessive who has already read all the third rate fan fiction on the internet. Jon Snow / Theon Greyjoy Slash-fic is a real thing.

#13 Posted by Jay_Ray (1077 posts) -

@alternate: Ok, need is a strong word, I believe if you enjoy the show and/or books you will also enjoy the story in the game. But thanks, now I have Jon Snow and Theon Greyjoy in my head doing very bad things

#14 Posted by AhmadMetallic (18955 posts) -
@iceman228433 said:

Yeah how well does the PC version run, control and look?
#15 Posted by Dad_Is_A_Zombie (1225 posts) -

I'm a fan so I'll play it but it looks like a rental.

#16 Posted by danmcn12 (86 posts) -

I'm about half way through and enjoying it. It is by no means a great game, but seeing it average 50s at review sites is a bit harsh imo. The game desperately needed polish. It's a rental or bargain bin title imo.

#17 Posted by Jayesslee (105 posts) -

@AhmadMetallic said:

@iceman228433 said:

Yeah how well does the PC version run, control and look?

The PC version is pretty optimized, but it doesn't look any better than the console versions. I played with a 360 controller, so I don't know how well it is with keyboard and mouse. If this was a little cheaper, I'd definitely recommend it since the story is worth seeing through the end.

#18 Edited by Triumvir (474 posts) -

I was mailed the thing by Amazon after I had thought I had cancelled my preorder. I was out of town for a while when it arrived with a bunch of other Amazon stuff, and when I got back it was too late to mail it in time for the refund.

With the artbook, and as a huge RPG and even bigger Song of Ice and Fire nut, the $60 was... acceptable. It's a better prospect below $40.

I've played a fair portion of the 360 version unpatched. The VO ranges from pretty good (sadly rare), to just tolerable, to outright horrible. Some of that you have to attribute to shitty dialogue which can be at turns self-indulgent, wordy, and overly-expository (even to the point of redundancy -- Did you know that Alester Sarwyck was away for 15 years? Oh you will, trust me). The game, generally, doesn't look good, but it has its moments (the Wall and Castle Black, look pretty cool, for instance). I actually liked the combat, quite a lot. It's very much like Dragon Age: Origins, but with its own mechanics and the strategies which result from those. Apart from the larger stories, which are compelling despite the bad dialogue, the combat was easily the best part of the game.

I'm planning on trading it in before the price drops too much more and buying another copy later, from the bargain bin. With a higher budget, better VO, and about 6 months more polish, this game could have been really something. I wish the property was owned by a better studio than Cyanide: think what a studio like Obsidian, CDProjeckt Red, or the Mount and Blade folks could do with it?

#19 Posted by HadesTimes (804 posts) -

Considering all I've heard I would wait until the price drops. That IS if your really into the books or the show. Otherwise just play Witcher 2.

#20 Posted by xyzygy (9943 posts) -

I am extremely interested in getting this, but when it's right cheap. I love the lore too much to not get it. Plus, Varys is my favorite character and I hear he's in it so... yeah

#21 Posted by Tennmuerti (8066 posts) -

Saw how The Wall looked ingame, instantly didn't like it.

#22 Posted by Triumvir (474 posts) -

@Tennmuerti:

You never even get to stand on top of it. It was probably my biggest disappointment of the game.

#23 Posted by D_Bones (365 posts) -

$20-25 worth it for this game if I am a big fan of DA:O combat (see dp) and love the series? Just trying to figure out how to spend a gift card.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.