folklore and majin developer shuts down

#1 Edited by shinigami420 (640 posts) -

Some really sad news one of my fav devs just shut down Game republic

The official website is offline http://www.gamerepublic.jp/

And they have a "For Rent" sign in the window.

RIP GameRepublic

The founder of Game Republic Yoshiki Okamoto the creator of 1942 SonSon Street Fighter II Final Fight Time Pilot and Gyruss

#2 Posted by Hizang (8532 posts) -

Dude that sucks, I enjoyed Folklore.

#3 Posted by MachoFantastico (4862 posts) -

That's sad, enjoyed Folklore a great deal actually.

#4 Posted by N7 (3658 posts) -

Daw. I liked the games they made. Sad day :(

#5 Posted by TheMustacheHero (6655 posts) -

Majin was an awesome game.

#6 Posted by Grissefar (2842 posts) -
That sad.

That's not good news but I guess nobody bought their games. The Majin game looked very charming though.

#7 Posted by Cloudenvy (5891 posts) -

Folklore was really great, would've loved to see a sequel.

#8 Posted by YoungFrey (1321 posts) -

Is there a more overlooked PS3 exclusive than Folklore?  I only learned about it a few months ago. 
#9 Posted by ConstantRa1n (293 posts) -

Two great games! :(

#10 Posted by shinigami420 (640 posts) -

@YoungFrey said:

Is there a more overlooked PS3 exclusive than Folklore? I only learned about it a few months ago.

No

#11 Posted by shinigami420 (640 posts) -

@TheMustacheHero said:

Majin was an awesome game.

Yeah it was fucking awesome and it was a pretty long game too

#12 Posted by Ramone (2976 posts) -

Not nice to see. Especially when they made some well appreciated games.

#13 Posted by nnotdead (89 posts) -

good games, but far from great. either way this is sad news. both games where different, and that's a good thing unless you want to sell a lot.

#14 Edited by shinigami420 (640 posts) -

@nnotdead said:

good games, but far from great. either way this is sad news. both games where different, and that's a good thing unless you want to sell a lot.

Far from great? majin was an easy 8/10

#15 Edited by shinigami420 (640 posts) -

I wonder why GB have not reported on this?

#16 Posted by benjaebe (2783 posts) -

That's a shame. Folklore and Majin were deceptively good and not a lot of people played them.

#17 Posted by Dallas_Raines (2195 posts) -

Well, it seems like nobody played Knights Contract. So I'm guessing that had something to do with it.

#18 Posted by shinigami420 (640 posts) -

@benjaebe said:

That's a shame. Folklore and Majin were deceptively good and not a lot of people played them.

Yeah they have had pretty poor sales their latest game called knights contract (witch was decent) sold under 20k on both 360 and ps3

#19 Posted by Cazamalos (983 posts) -

sad
folklore was amazing and looking at their wikipage i see they also made Brave Story, another fantastic game 
:(

#20 Posted by shinigami420 (640 posts) -

@cazamalos: Yeah that game was dope

#21 Posted by EuanDewar (5094 posts) -

Can't say I enjoyed their games a whole lot but good people losing jobs is never cool. Hope they land on their feet.

#22 Posted by shinigami420 (640 posts) -

@EuanDewar: Yeah there where some really good people there

the CEO Yoshiki Okamoto is the creator of street fighter 2 Gyruss Time Pilot and 1942

sad to see his company go under really really liked majin and folklore

#23 Posted by Pibo47 (3166 posts) -

Never played any of their games, but they both looked interesting. I wish those guys the best of luck.

#24 Posted by X19 (2306 posts) -

Enjoyed the Folklore demo and was thinking of picking it up this summer.

#25 Posted by shinigami420 (640 posts) -

@X19: You should its a great game

also if you like zelda i would highly recomend Majin its a great game

#26 Posted by X19 (2306 posts) -
@shinigami420: Majin didn't really grab me but yeah will check out Folklore.
#27 Posted by shinigami420 (640 posts) -

@X19: Yeah Majin is not for everybody

but folklore is pretty awesome

#28 Posted by Animasta (14718 posts) -

you don't have to respond to every person who posts dude

always sad when a dev shuts down

#29 Posted by shinigami420 (640 posts) -

@Laketown said:

you don't have to respond to every person who posts dude

Sorry

#30 Posted by oysteinBrenne (284 posts) -

Thats really sad i fucking love majin one of my favorite games on the 360

#31 Posted by abdo (1037 posts) -

So sad when a developer shuts down. What a shame, they did make some great games, but they never got the exposure they deserved.  It also appears that Okamoto is nowhere t be found, his blog went offline suddenly a few weeks ago. Hope he's OK.

#32 Posted by Yamoto (111 posts) -

....sorry i had to do it! 
But there is good news   

from siliconera
 Sadly, Majin and the Forsaken Kingdom developer Game Republic quietly closed earlier this year. One former employee landed on his feet and opened a brand new video game studio in Tokyo.

Hiroyuki Tanaka, the lead programmer on Folklore and the studio manager, opened ilinx a few months before Game Republic closed. The new company is located in Ebisu, one subway stop from Game Republic’s headquarters in Meguro. As of April 2011, ilinx has fourteen employees. It’s unclear if Ilinx hired any disfranchised Game Republic staff. Ilinx plans on developing games for smartphones like iPhone and Android as well as PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360 titles. As of now, no games have been announced.

Silicon Studios, creators of 3D Dot Game Heroes, believes in ilinx. They’re are a major shareholder of the fledgling studio who are learning about the Scrum software development process.

Also what the fuck happend to Okamoto there where some rumours he had borrowed alot of money from the yakuza and was hugly in debt and he had to flee the country but i guess thats not true?

#33 Posted by BabyChooChoo (4739 posts) -

Fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck. I absolutely loved Folklore.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.