Game Room Developer Krome Studios Shutting Down

• 143 results
Posted by MattBodega (1903 posts) -

In the movies, when the local arcade is in danger of shutting down, the community stages a rally or video game tournament that gets everyone excited about about hanging out in front of Vector-based monitors and sit-down cabinets. Thanks to the community, the old arcade can stay in business forever.

But no community rally will save the Game Room arcade. Australian Game Development site Tsumea reports they've received "credible reports" that Game Room developer Krome Studios—not a year ago the largest development house in Australia—is in the process of laying off its remaining staff, after which the studio will be shut down. While there hasn't technically been official word from the studio confirming its closure, an outpouring of Twitter reports from now-former employees of Krome, as well as corroborating comments in the story itself seems to tell the tale for the press release.  

You could make the argument that this room represents everything that's wrong with Game Room. 

== TEASER ==Krome--which only recently released Blade Kitten on XBLA and PSN--has already laid off more than 210 of its nearly 400 employees in the past year, shutting studios in Melbourne and Adelaide. Early word from reports, Tsumea says, is that some of those employees will be hired back as contractors in order to finish Krome’s remaining projects before the studio finally ceases to be. There's been no word as to how this will impact the company's increasingly marginalized set of Game Room releases.

Krome's potential shuttering comes after an eleven year journey that saw them become the biggest developer on the continent. Its 3D platformer, Ty The Tasmanian Tiger, is still well regarded as a solid entry in the genre. Following their PS2 releases, Krome became involved with major American publishers such as Activision and LucasArts, releasing games in both the Transformers and Star Wars: The Clone Wars franchises. Along the way, they acquired other prominent Australian developers such as Ratbag and Melbourne House. In a very short span of time, Krome became Australia’s largest game development house.

But, if the layoffs and the success of their projects are any indication, Krome became an entity that was simply too big to support. Efforts to try and reign in the company appear to have been too little, too late to save the studio.

Here’s to hoping the folks at Krome land on their feet. I’d tell you to go play Crystal Castles in Game Room to remember the good times, but that’s not that's not the right way to play that game (no trackball). You could try to remember Game Room for what it was meant to be, instead of what it was, but you really shouldn’t be playing those Dreamcast games on XBLA.
#1 Posted by MattBodega (1903 posts) -

In the movies, when the local arcade is in danger of shutting down, the community stages a rally or video game tournament that gets everyone excited about about hanging out in front of Vector-based monitors and sit-down cabinets. Thanks to the community, the old arcade can stay in business forever.

But no community rally will save the Game Room arcade. Australian Game Development site Tsumea reports they've received "credible reports" that Game Room developer Krome Studios—not a year ago the largest development house in Australia—is in the process of laying off its remaining staff, after which the studio will be shut down. While there hasn't technically been official word from the studio confirming its closure, an outpouring of Twitter reports from now-former employees of Krome, as well as corroborating comments in the story itself seems to tell the tale for the press release.  

You could make the argument that this room represents everything that's wrong with Game Room. 

== TEASER ==Krome--which only recently released Blade Kitten on XBLA and PSN--has already laid off more than 210 of its nearly 400 employees in the past year, shutting studios in Melbourne and Adelaide. Early word from reports, Tsumea says, is that some of those employees will be hired back as contractors in order to finish Krome’s remaining projects before the studio finally ceases to be. There's been no word as to how this will impact the company's increasingly marginalized set of Game Room releases.

Krome's potential shuttering comes after an eleven year journey that saw them become the biggest developer on the continent. Its 3D platformer, Ty The Tasmanian Tiger, is still well regarded as a solid entry in the genre. Following their PS2 releases, Krome became involved with major American publishers such as Activision and LucasArts, releasing games in both the Transformers and Star Wars: The Clone Wars franchises. Along the way, they acquired other prominent Australian developers such as Ratbag and Melbourne House. In a very short span of time, Krome became Australia’s largest game development house.

But, if the layoffs and the success of their projects are any indication, Krome became an entity that was simply too big to support. Efforts to try and reign in the company appear to have been too little, too late to save the studio.

Here’s to hoping the folks at Krome land on their feet. I’d tell you to go play Crystal Castles in Game Room to remember the good times, but that’s not that's not the right way to play that game (no trackball). You could try to remember Game Room for what it was meant to be, instead of what it was, but you really shouldn’t be playing those Dreamcast games on XBLA.
#2 Posted by skadbob (230 posts) -

Sad news

#3 Posted by fwylo (3556 posts) -

Endurance Run over.

#4 Posted by Jeffmoocow (122 posts) -

I'm going to miss the weekly Game Room videos with all of the mostly bad games they put out that week.

#5 Posted by EpicSteve (6470 posts) -

Game Room failed mainly due to lack of marketing. Also, bad pricing structure. In concept, it's badass.

#6 Posted by Doctorchimp (4067 posts) -

Haha, I just want to hear Jeff's thoughts.

#7 Posted by MikkaQ (10261 posts) -

So it finally happened. Wonder how microsoft will deal with Game Room now. Probably not going anywhere. 

#8 Posted by CharlesAlanRatliff (5369 posts) -

Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

#9 Posted by SPACETURTLE (1622 posts) -

Game Room is a brilliant idea that was just executed poorly considering the long-term commitment that entails keeping such a product alive. It was really only a matter of time before something like this happened.

#10 Posted by AnAmericanPatriot (141 posts) -

IT'S A fuckin SHAME Game ROOM couldn't BE ALL IT could be (airforce), BUT WHAT can you do? Hope EVERYONE COMES out alright.

#11 Posted by zitosilva (1838 posts) -

I guess this means Game Room is in the brink of dying, no? I'm going to miss the weekly videos.

#12 Posted by FourWude (2261 posts) -

Retro gaming is like a religion. And Game Room is just shit.

#13 Posted by Video_Game_King (35783 posts) -

What's this mean for the Game Room Quick Looks? How will they end? THEY WERE MY ENDURANCE RUN!!! *slaps someone across the face, runs out of room crying*

#14 Posted by Jacob816 (136 posts) -

Why did they even need 400 people to make Game Room in the first place?

#15 Posted by President_Barackbar (3415 posts) -

Oh no, now we don't get to be treated to 3 mediocre 2600 games every week... (sarcasm over)

#16 Posted by Damodar (1283 posts) -

I dunno if this necessarily means the end for game room, but as an Australian, it's a bummer to hear of all those people losing jobs etc, as it's nowhere near as big an industry in this country.

#17 Posted by Sin4profit (2903 posts) -

Ya knew it was coming. Question is, do they just stop Game Room or do they restructure it's development with a new team. Either way, licensing for those old arcade games are such a cluster fuck that failure is probably an inevitability no matter who takes over.
So, everyone should just build a MAME machine and steal that shit...unfortunate, but that's the easiest way to get the job done.

#18 Posted by JoeyRavn (4945 posts) -

In honor of  Krome Studios, Brad, Jeff, Vinny and Ryan should play all the Game Room games in a row. That'd be awesome. Best QL ever.

#19 Posted by Jonnyflash80 (489 posts) -

I won't miss Game Room but I will miss the Game Room Quicklooks. It's funny as hell to hear Jeff get frustrated with all the stinkers they've been releasing lately.

#20 Edited by MeatSim (10732 posts) -

What will we do without are weekly apathetic Game Room Quick Look!

#21 Posted by Sil3n7 (1176 posts) -

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

...thank god.

#22 Posted by Kjellm87 (1728 posts) -

Game Room Quick looks........over?
#23 Posted by crusader8463 (14411 posts) -

Sad face. I will miss seeing Jeff in pain every week.

#24 Posted by JoeyRavn (4945 posts) -

In honor of  Krome Studios, Brad, Jeff, Vinny and Ryan should play all the Game Room games in a row. That'd be awesome. Best QL ever.

#25 Posted by RampageAssassin (416 posts) -

I wonder what Jeff is feeling right now.

#26 Posted by pbhawks45 (736 posts) -
@Sil3n7 said:
" NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!  ...thank god. "
AND THUS ENDS THE GAME ROOM ENDURANCE RUN.
#27 Posted by stinky (1543 posts) -

game room was never a good idea. 
not sure what people are smoking.  

the only good thing to come out of it were the Quick Looks.

#28 Posted by heatDrive88 (2262 posts) -

The irony of it all? 

This article hit my twitter feed right at the same time I was watching the latest Game Room QL with Jeff and Brad, right as Jeff said "Well that's all for Game Room", and both exclaimed "YAY!". 

#29 Posted by garion333 (123 posts) -

Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!

#30 Posted by PlasmaMachine (242 posts) -

Everyone stand perfectly still and stretch your arms out on opposite ends, this might be the end of Game Room.

#31 Posted by FritzDude (2248 posts) -

Mission fail.

#32 Posted by gbrading (1980 posts) -

If this means an end to Game Room Quick Looks, it's dreadful news.
#33 Posted by OllyOxenFree (4970 posts) -

*pours some cheap-ass grape drank onto the floor*

#34 Posted by SiN13 (234 posts) -

If game room had CPS1, CPS2, and Neogeo I'd be all over it. I just have no desire to play these extremely old atari games. If they would have brought things up to the mid 90's arcade games it probably would have done better.

#35 Posted by Floppypants (798 posts) -

Thus brings to an end the greatest of all Giant Bomb endurance runs.

#36 Posted by Googly (245 posts) -

NEVER FORGET

#37 Posted by Vinchenzo (6192 posts) -

That's a lot of employees to have in the first place... is it not?

#38 Posted by NeroticShadows (10 posts) -

I'm desperately trying to think of a reason to care about this, and even looked at all the games they developed, and honestly, I don't care, XD. The demo for their newest game, 'The Owls of Ga'hoole' was utterly horrible, and Game Room was pretty poor anyway.

#39 Posted by fisk0 (3754 posts) -

Not too surprising I guess, but what I will shed a lot of tears for is that this means we're even less likely to ever get another Krush Kill And Destroy game, and maybe even a less chance of getting KKND Extreme and KKND 2 on GOG. :'( :'( :'(

#40 Posted by mosdl (3228 posts) -

Jeff buying each game was not enough to sustain them?

#41 Posted by WEGGLES (739 posts) -
@stinky:  

It was a good idea in concept. 

In application there was all sorts of issues. It could've been great. 

First: the game selection is mostly garbage you'd never want to play. Game room should be about the classics and the games that could've been classics if people had heard of them. Instead it was about Billiards. Checkers. Bridge and bad games.  

Second: Dupe games. Why have multiple (BAD) ports of the same game? 

Third: Cost. It's like $3 per game. That's a bit much. This shit can't be expensive to license or make. Charge a dollar. I'd be more likely to drop money on games if it wasn't 1/3 the cost of a good XBLA game. 3 shitty 2600 games... or Geometry Wars 2? Hmmmm. 

Fourth: Systems. It was too much about the intellivision, the Atari 2600 and such and less about the actual arcade games. If I wanted to pay too much to play shitty 2600 games I'd go to the flea market and buy a real 2600. At least then I'd get a proper experience. I mean, you have an ARCADE to put the games in... most of the games aren't even arcade games. Just cabinets with a 2600 ontop and no side art.

Fifth: Time. All the stuff seemed to be late 70's early 80's. It should've been late 80's early 90's.  

It could've been great. It could've.... :\
#42 Posted by stoodspoon (588 posts) -

#43 Posted by Ladnar (198 posts) -

They should send jeff a patch or something for being their biggest err Donor to the Game Room cause.

#44 Edited by Death_Burnout (3792 posts) -

Welp...That's all folks!

Live demo folks!

#45 Posted by Nekroskop (2786 posts) -

and nothing of value was lost. 
In all seriousness though; it's always sad seeing a game developer shutting down

#46 Posted by fisk0 (3754 posts) -
@ahaisthisourchance said:
" and nothing of value was lost. In all seriousness though; it's always sad seeing a game developer shutting down "
They (or rather Beam Software, which was later bought by Krome Studios) fucking created KKND! Probably the 5th best RTS franchise of all time!
#47 Edited by Castiel (2519 posts) -

Kinda sad but still it didn't come as much of a surprise.

#48 Posted by Napalm (9020 posts) -

Wow, man. What the fuck happened? Witnessing the sad, trickle-down beginning from Game Room's ultimate, sad existence all the way to this is just... it makes me want to ask, "what happened?"

#49 Posted by DidierRibbon (3 posts) -

This was a really well written bit of a business. Kudos.

#50 Posted by albedos_shadow (1485 posts) -

NOOOOO! What will I do without my favorite Quick Looks? 

Seriously, though, I actually spent $102 on Game Room. I am ashamed.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.