Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Game Room

Game » consists of 6 releases. Released Mar 24, 2010

A downloadable portal for official emulation of retro video games for the Xbox 360 and PC, featuring offerings from the Atari 2600 and Intellivision as well as early arcade games by Atari and Konami.

Game Room full of cobwebs?

JerkFace

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Edited By JerkFace

Anyone else playing games in XBLA's Game Room and finding that their friends list is completely devoid of anyone else who's given the service a try?   I've been putting some time in with it this week and finding that there is actually a lot of good stuff going on there, with the challenge system and free trials and all of that.  Having been slightly too young to get in on the arcade scene here in America during the 80's, Game Room seems like a pretty great way to experience these games.

But part of that draw to me is the challenge system and friend leaderboards.  That constant strive to beat out your friends' latest scores is something missing from a lot of modern games, and I think what Microsoft put together is a pretty slick interface for doing so.  So how can it be that of my 40 or so friends no one has picked up a single game?  I mean I couldn't even grab the achievement for playing a game in a friend's arcade because there was literally no one who bought one!  It kind of makes me nervous for the service, since if the games aren't selling well at all, it leaves Microsoft with little incentive to produce more content.

Then again, maybe people really just don't like Jungler that much.  I sure friggin' do!

So is anyone else having this problem?

JerkFace

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By JerkFace

Anyone else playing games in XBLA's Game Room and finding that their friends list is completely devoid of anyone else who's given the service a try?   I've been putting some time in with it this week and finding that there is actually a lot of good stuff going on there, with the challenge system and free trials and all of that.  Having been slightly too young to get in on the arcade scene here in America during the 80's, Game Room seems like a pretty great way to experience these games.

But part of that draw to me is the challenge system and friend leaderboards.  That constant strive to beat out your friends' latest scores is something missing from a lot of modern games, and I think what Microsoft put together is a pretty slick interface for doing so.  So how can it be that of my 40 or so friends no one has picked up a single game?  I mean I couldn't even grab the achievement for playing a game in a friend's arcade because there was literally no one who bought one!  It kind of makes me nervous for the service, since if the games aren't selling well at all, it leaves Microsoft with little incentive to produce more content.

Then again, maybe people really just don't like Jungler that much.  I sure friggin' do!

So is anyone else having this problem?

luce

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#2  Edited By luce

Game room needs one of these

ProfessorEss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#3  Edited By ProfessorEss

I haven't touched it since launch day and haven't bought anything for it.
    That has more to do with the available titles than the service itself.
    Start talkin stuff like Dig Dug, Pitfall, Pitfall 2, Pac-Man and Keystone Capers and maybe my interest will return.

I think the long break after the initial release may end up being a really big mistake.

JerkFace

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By JerkFace
    @ProfessorEss: 

That's what I was thinking too, on both points.  The starting line up is kind of weird, to say the least.  I like most of the Konami stuff, but the rest is pretty mediocre for the most part.  Way too much Intellivision going on there; and that system just hasn't aged well.  Hopefully more people will get into it soon - Pitfall drops on the 28th, I believe!
    JerkFace

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By JerkFace
    @luce: 

That was really random and really funny!  I think we need more of that in every life situation.
    ProfessorEss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#6  Edited By ProfessorEss
    @JerkFace: Let's hope so. 

Not to sound like a broken record but I'm really surprised they allowed GameRoom to drop off everyone's radar so quickly.
    I really hope the release hiatus hasn't buried this before it even had a chance to live.

...also, that GAP commercial is awesome.
    JerkFace

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By JerkFace
    @ProfessorEss: 

Hopefully they'll advertise on the 'Spotlight' page or something and enough people will bite the bait with some of the upcoming releases.
    Blkthorne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#8  Edited By Blkthorne

Yeah, most of my friends either don't have Game Room or have it and it's empty or just one game inside. lol   

The month long delay to fix server issues/glitches didn't help, and then you throw in the aging Atari 2600/Intellivision games that either are 2 player with no online multi-player or just do not control well with the current game pad.  They probably should've just released all the weeks backlog of games(4-5 weeks worth) instead of just going to 7 games weekly at the end of April. 

Would help to get more arcade support too from Namco, Sega, Capcom, Taito, Data East, Stern, and Midway(even with the legal problems), plus MS needs to really be promoting this room a lot better, the facebook page/xbox forums have been fairly dead with hardly any respones from Krome/MS.
    JerkFace

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By JerkFace
    @Blkthorne: 

If you're looking for some (mediocre) competition from some one who actually plays it a lot, add me:  xJERKFACEx
    bluesun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#10  Edited By bluesun

Has the situation improved?

Avatar image for lordxavierbritish
    LordXavierBritish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 6

I have exactly one friend who has any games for it. Part of the problem is that they need more god damn games.

JerkFace

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By JerkFace
    @bluesun: 

Definitely!  I got a bunch of Giant Bombers on my list Game Rooming it up.
    rjayb89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 17

#13  Edited By rjayb89
    @JerkFace: I will add you, sir, for I am jiggabear (that's my Gamertag).  I play Lunar Lander from time to time (also I want to get that achievement for playing a friend's cabinet).
    JerkFace

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By JerkFace
    @rjayb89: 

Accepted.  Yeah, I have a pretty stocked arcade if you're ever looking to try something out with those tokens.
    Jambones

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 2

#15  Edited By Jambones

The only thing stopping me are the prices of the games. I have the packs downloaded, but always feel guilty throwing 240 MSP at a time away like that.

Shadow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 5

#16  Edited By Shadow

I'll probably buy River Raid...but that's it

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.