Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Game Room

Game » consists of 6 releases. Released Mar 24, 2010

A downloadable portal for official emulation of retro video games for the Xbox 360 and PC, featuring offerings from the Atari 2600 and Intellivision as well as early arcade games by Atari and Konami.

I think Game Room is a great idea, but its got problems.

Bartman3010

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By Bartman3010

Namely the fact that you have to download the games before you can do anything with them. OKay, so, those game packs that you download are the games that are part of Game Room. But theres just a few things that bother me about it:

1. Even though you downloaded the games, you own them, and yet you dont. If you want to be able to play them for as often as you want, you must pay money. 
    2. You also have to pay double the money if you want to be able to run them on your computer. Why the extra charge? No reason. Its the same service your Live username is tied with.
    3. Those downloaded games take up space. If theres a specific game you're looking for, you have to download each game pack as they come out, and they take up space on your hard drive. Dont forget that the extra decorations are also part of those Game Packs. 
    4. This pretty much means that there is a size limit of the kind of games that will be in Game Room. You might as well as forget about there being anything from the Dreamcast or any system like that. 
    5. Obviously 80MB worth of Atari and Intellivision games take up no space, but should your hard drive be filled up thanks to an installed 360 disc, downloadable content or what have you, if you run out of space, you cant download any of the additional game packs for Game Room. It can happen.

I'm not arguing about the actual content, but theres a few smoke and mirrors here that kind of tarnish some of the good things about Game Room. Its a nice idea, and I honestly think it'll work out better on PC than on the 360. I'm stuck with a 20GB drive on my 360, and I'm not willing to pay for the ridiculous prices for another 360 hard drive.

bunnyboiler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#2  Edited By bunnyboiler

Should have been 200 MS points for a multi platform license. 

Jamerific

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By Jamerific

When I heard of this, my first thought was "That is pretty sweet, a virtual Arcade on my Xbox." However now I am seeing it as something rather pointless. I was born in the 80's, and I didn't like those games back THEN, so why would I want them NOW? Also what about all my xbox live games? Will they make it so I can show those off in my arcade as well? Are they going to re-release another version of Pacman, and if they do, then the original xbox live version you bought becomes useless.

I will not be buying any of the current games out, maybe when they get closer to the 90's and have better selections. I would so love it if they added the old Golden Axe series on there or that AvP arcade game they had back in the day. If memory serves me right, Game Room's original concept was to be a Dreamcast simulator but then they said "Why not emulate everything?" Does this mean we will see Dreamcast and Genisis games? One can only wonder.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.