Is Game Room officially dead?

#1 Posted by LordXavierBritish (6320 posts) -

This week "Bundle Pack 001" 

Description: "Contains two cool offers for collectors of Konami Arcade titles!" 

What is this shit?

#2 Posted by Skytylz (4037 posts) -

2 games?  It's almost dead I give it till the end of the year.

#3 Posted by LordXavierBritish (6320 posts) -
@Skytylz: It isn't a game pack. 

I don't think there are any games this week. 

I think they are discounting games.
#4 Posted by nukesniper (1312 posts) -

Things are looking bleak.

#5 Posted by Dany (7887 posts) -

Well, I don't know how Game Room can continue if they can't get new consoles, arcades and new games. 

#6 Posted by Ninjakid7396 (291 posts) -

Was it even alive?

#7 Posted by Kyelb22 (299 posts) -

Did anybody actually play it in the first place? I haven't seen anybody on my friends list playing it since the day it came out, and I think they were only doing that because the were curious, or bored.

#8 Posted by JJOR64 (19051 posts) -

If only it had Capcom's support.  Then I would be some what interested in Game Room.

#9 Posted by wolf_blitzer85 (5289 posts) -

I think Jeff's bank account is the only reason Game Room is still alive.

#10 Posted by Blkthorne (25 posts) -

Supposedly they will be bundling up the Konami arcade games, at least 20 of them, into packs so that people will be able to find those games easier rather than going through all 10 of the current game packs.  They haven't really clarified what it is exactly though, some think it might mean new arcade/console games will come in separate packs instead instead of all combined in one. 
#11 Posted by Dork_Metamorphosis (251 posts) -

I got Yar's Revenge, all I really want out of it at this point is a Defender port that doesn't suck. 

#12 Posted by Turbo_Toaster (978 posts) -

The prices killed it for me on the first day

#13 Posted by SeriouslyNow (8534 posts) -

The worst use of a good idea that MS have made in a long time.  It was dead when they decided to release Atari 2600 shovelware.

#14 Posted by Raymayne (1226 posts) -
@LordXavierBritish said:

" @Skytylz: It isn't a game pack.  I don't think there are any games this week.  I think they are discounting games. "

There are games out this week. Radar Lock, Street Racer, and Submarine Commander all for the Atari 2600. Check the facebook page of game room for more sweet info! 

They also posted: 

Game Room  Bundles? we are getting a lot of content up here and therefore we thought it might be a good idea to test out interest in a bundle release. this will be a test, and therefore a bit limited in scope at first. we are going to start with a 5 game pack and a 15 game pack of Konami games. we are working furiously to get this out asap. we will let you know when it goes live..

So there's some life in it yet, apparently....
#15 Posted by Gizmo (5389 posts) -

I have never used Game Room as it requires a 300mb download. Not worth the bandwidth.

#16 Posted by Lukeweizer (2749 posts) -

Not as dead as the Showtime channel. Or whatever their plan was for 1 VS. 100.

#17 Posted by AlwaysBeClothing (1496 posts) -

As long as Jeff has to keep putting money into their giant sinkhole machine and pumping out them videos, its alive.  They know they will make their $3 back on every game they crap out at least.

#18 Posted by EpicSteve (6495 posts) -

How the hell are people supposed to know Game Room exists? It's never on the dashboard. The pricing structure is dumb.

#19 Posted by RAGEosaurus (137 posts) -

So does anyone know which 2 games are on offer?

#20 Posted by Rodigee (13 posts) -

Shouldn't this post title be "Is game room unofficially dead?" If it was officially dead, Microsoft won't be adding games to it.

#21 Posted by CitizenKane (10508 posts) -

It isn't dead until Jeff stops buying and showing them in Quick Looks.

#22 Posted by Jasta (2217 posts) -

It never really took off =|

#23 Posted by Bloodgraiv3 (2713 posts) -

I hope it is, but at the same time, I don't want it to end cause I love the quicklooks. 
#24 Edited by bartok (2574 posts) -

The lack of games that contain fun is what did it for me.  Other then Battlantis and River Raid there has been nothing but crap.  If they had maybe more arcade games besides Atari and Konami I would of been happy.  I don't know if it was feasible to get Bally/Midway games but they could of tried to get Sega and Capcom support.  Also how about games from the early 90's.  I would of paid anything for a decent port of Cadillacs and Dinosaurs or Sunset Riders.  

#25 Posted by Hailinel (25203 posts) -
@Ninjakid7396 said:
" Was it even alive? "
I think it was put on life-support after five minutes outside of the womb.
#26 Posted by JerichoBlyth (1044 posts) -

What the fuck is a game room?

#27 Posted by me3639 (1837 posts) -

Never knew it had a heartbeat. The quicklooks for game room is all that will ever be missed.

#28 Posted by gakon (1952 posts) -

There are three games listed on Xbox.com's Game Room page for next week.

#29 Posted by JoelTGM (5596 posts) -

It's a bummer.  I want them to get all the games on there, so it can be like a sort of museum.  It's a great idea to think that you can easily pull up any old arcade game and play them with modern stat tracking and leaderboards.  They put so many bad games on there though, for $3 a pop, so people aren't really buying or even looking at what's new anymore, and with that kind of result Game Room is just slowing down to a crawl now.

#30 Posted by wrathofconn (1464 posts) -
@CitizenKane said:
" It isn't dead until Jeff stops buying and showing them in Quick Looks. "
He can't buy last week's games until they are actually available for purchase, which they were not the last time I checked. Bad sign.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.