Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Game Room

Game » consists of 6 releases. Released Mar 24, 2010

A downloadable portal for official emulation of retro video games for the Xbox 360 and PC, featuring offerings from the Atari 2600 and Intellivision as well as early arcade games by Atari and Konami.

My Thoughts on Game Room so far.

vigorousjammer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 41

Edited By vigorousjammer

So, after getting some quality time in with Game Room, I felt it'd be nice to express what I think of it so far.

Overall, it has some pretty neat ideas, but I just feel like half of them are executed poorly.
    the cabinet view on a lot of the games looks very bad, and makes you wonder why you'd ever want to play that way.
    Then again, the cabinet view on other machines looks excellent, so I suppose it's a double-edged sword.

I just kind of wish the same level of detail was put into Game Room cabinets and filters as was put into Final Fight Double Impact.
    I suppose that'd mean we wouldn't get 7 games a week, but I think I'd prefer quality over quantity.

Ever since people have stopped using Game Room, the servers seem to be handling the load better, and stuff like high scores and challenges seem to be working properly at this current time, thankfully.

overall, I'm hoping the Game Room can take some of it's ideas and evolve into a well-polished and well-refined product.

vigorousjammer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By vigorousjammer

So, after getting some quality time in with Game Room, I felt it'd be nice to express what I think of it so far.

Overall, it has some pretty neat ideas, but I just feel like half of them are executed poorly.
    the cabinet view on a lot of the games looks very bad, and makes you wonder why you'd ever want to play that way.
    Then again, the cabinet view on other machines looks excellent, so I suppose it's a double-edged sword.

I just kind of wish the same level of detail was put into Game Room cabinets and filters as was put into Final Fight Double Impact.
    I suppose that'd mean we wouldn't get 7 games a week, but I think I'd prefer quality over quantity.

Ever since people have stopped using Game Room, the servers seem to be handling the load better, and stuff like high scores and challenges seem to be working properly at this current time, thankfully.

overall, I'm hoping the Game Room can take some of it's ideas and evolve into a well-polished and well-refined product.

Avatar image for aperturesilence
    ApertureSilence

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 9

#2  Edited By ApertureSilence

I'd just be happy if I could play game room offline and without constant crashes.

mathewballard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 13

#3  Edited By mathewballard

Game Room hasn't shown me anything to even make me want to enter. Maybe when they get Spy Hunter I'll jump in, but I'm not that big into arcade games to warrant spending those prices on the games.

UkuleleSHIMA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#4  Edited By UkuleleSHIMA
    @bizsumpark182: yes game room is definitely targeted toward a specific type of gamer. I'd say mainly guys like me who used to spend time in real arcades and enjoy any nostalgia of that time period. younger gamers that never saved their allowances to drop quarters into these machines when they were everywhere (arcades, liquor and grocery stores, the toy dept at Sears, etc.) will probably not have the desire to spend any significant amount of time with GR, if only just to peek at it like a museum.
    UkuleleSHIMA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By UkuleleSHIMA

id like to know which cabinet views you don't like? I assume you're talking about the gameplay screens.  if they are ones that don't have any artwork around the borders like tempest or the konami games, then yeah it seems pointless. but the asteroids, centipede and red baron ones look great i think. I'm glad they even have that option!

when just playing casually, i use cabinet view. when i'm going for a high score, i switch to full screen. ones that don't have screen border art, i just leave full as well.

vigorousjammer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By vigorousjammer
    @UkuleleSHIMA: yeah, that's pretty much it.  I'd never want to play a game of tempest in cabinet mode, but on asteroids deluxe it's awesome.

I'm holding out for Battlezone to be released with a cabinet mode, that'd be pretty awesome, even though I already own the XBLA version.

I think they should definitely work out a deal with Microsoft and everybody where if you own the Xbox Live Arcade version of a game, once it's released on the Game Room, you should be able to download it for free.  Krome might take some losses, but everybody else would still be making profit, so the other parties would be happy, and Krome's consumers (us) would be happy, and would most likely buy more games from them.
    I mean, hell, I own pac-man, dig-dug, galaga, gyruss, metal slug 3, street fighter II:HF, Fatal Fury Special, Battlezone, etc. on XBLA... I don't want to buy them all again just to have them in my game room, but for leaderboards and challenges sake, I'm almost tempted to....
    JerkFace

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By JerkFace

I just played it for a few hours last night, and ended up buying a bunch of games on there.  I think the challenge system is really great, and I'm hopeful that the releases keep coming.   Also, that some of my friggin' Live friends start actually using the service!

ProfessorEss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#8  Edited By ProfessorEss

It's a great idea that's been shot in the ass by a weak launch line-up and a lapse in additional releases.

Perhaps this was necessary I suppose.
    Put out a handful of niche games to get a good sized test crowd before pumping out the titles that have potential to load up the service?

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.