Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Game Room

Game » consists of 6 releases. Released Mar 24, 2010

A downloadable portal for official emulation of retro video games for the Xbox 360 and PC, featuring offerings from the Atari 2600 and Intellivision as well as early arcade games by Atari and Konami.

Pictures of original Konami arcade cabinets...and a'lil history.

Sin4profit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 37

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By Sin4profit

As some of you know, Game Room has replaced the Konami machines with genaric placeholder cabinets, so for the few of you who are curious here's a collection of what the original Konami arcade cabinets look like.

Yes, Finalizer is missing from this picture.
     Yes, Finalizer is missing from this picture.
    You may notice that some of these machines say Stern on the sides of them. As it turns out Stern was the manufacturer and distributor of these arcade cabinets in North America whereas Konami developed the actual game. I've also read that Konami and Stern have had some legal static between them which could help explain why Game Room has to use generic placeholders for the Konami arcade cabinets.

Avatar image for deactivated-64c89b592b282
    deactivated-64c89b592b282

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 38

@Sin4profit:  I figured there was a legal reason for the Konami Game Room cabinets being lame.
    UkuleleSHIMA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By UkuleleSHIMA

Thanks for the pics! This has been my personal biggest disappointment with GR. There are are other little technical annoyances that I'm sure will get fixed but this one may never and stinks! It really messes up the 'authenticism' of these games being in the virtual arcade.  (Couldn't they have used even the marquee and erased the STERN name?)  

Anyway,  I have NOT bought any of the konami games because of it.  

My big fear is that they will do the same thing with old Midway games and Taito games since they are now owned by Warner Bros. and Square/Enix respectively.  I have my fingers crossed that they don't end up that way. 

Part of the $3 value of the GR games, to me, is collecting these iconic cabinets in my arcade and offers something that MAME doesn't in that sense. I 

If its a legal rights thing, I'd honestly rather they hold off releasing a game and work out the rights so they can offer the game in a proper historical and nostalgic way, which is  the whole purpose of Game Room was created in the first place, right? 

Until them I'm loving playing, sending out challenges, and posting high scores with all the beautifully re-created Atari arcade machines.  The console cabinets are also well done and they did make each unique  by putting the box art on the side of the cabinets. 

Make the Cabinets look like the pics above and I'll buy them all, Krome! Until then, I'll play me some Red Baron.

Sin4profit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 37

User Lists: 2

#4  Edited By Sin4profit
    @UkuleleSHIMA: 
    the difference between Konami / Stern and the Midway and Taito situation is that Konami only owns rights to the software where Stern owns rights to the hardware. I'm pretty sure Midway & Taito both developed their respective software
     AND manufactured their own cabinets so there should be no separation between software and hardware like there is with Konami / Stern. So if Game Room gets licenses to publish those games from whoever owns those rights there shouldn't be any problems, legally, with reproducing those cabinets.

i'm pretty sure Square Enix owns all things Taito  and there should be no problem there, if all is willing, but Midway sounds like it's way more scattered as Warner Brothers only bid on "most" of Midways assets. Some, or maybe all, of those classic arcade titles could be owned by Williams still for all i know.
    UkuleleSHIMA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By UkuleleSHIMA
    @Sin4profit: yes, hopefully the Konami situation is an isolated incident and Game Room will be predominately represented with more cases like the Atari cabinets! Otherwise GR will always be that nostolgic trip that "almost" got it right. 

It'll be interesting to see what each week will bring...
    goodlucktj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By goodlucktj
    @UkuleleSHIMA: agreed, the atari cabinets just look fantastic, even compared to the actual cabinets from konami games posted above.

thanks, sin4, for posting these originals.
    UkuleleSHIMA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By UkuleleSHIMA

with original side art (as seen in Game Room CES preview videos)
    Jadeskye

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#8  Edited By Jadeskye

i feel so sad that i only saw the very tail end of the cabinet's life style when i was still too young to appreciate them.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.