So who is willing to join?

#1 Posted by animateria (3252 posts) -

A lot of us complain that with only 4 publishers in the fray, we're not getting much fun out of Game Room.

So which publishers CAN Game Room get?

Capcom is obviously out of the question, they can sell their games themselves. And looking at Final Fight Double Impact, they do a damn swell job of transferring the arcade experience to the home console with the various filters that actually make the game look like it's being played in an arcade cabinet. If only they released more arcade classics more frequently... Hell, if Capcom made their own Game Room... *&%#$! That would be awesome!

Midway? Well....... With their licenses probably scattered in the wind. I'm not sure if their games can make it into GR with ease.

Namco? Again... Probably will do their own.

Ninte... ha! I won't even bother.

SNK? Well, they aren't a company to put in as much effort as Capcom but they seem to be content on just selling their old games on XBLA with no problem.  

Taito? Er... Square Enix would definitely say, no.

Sorry for my ignorance of the smaller arcade companies, but it seems that the biggest names are probably out of the picture.

Does anybody know a publisher that would realistically work with Game Room? 

#2 Posted by c1337us (5751 posts) -

I don't know, game room doesn't interest me anyway.

#3 Posted by Goldanas (546 posts) -

The only way to really launch Game Room into the Heavy Weights division of retro-reselling would be for them to hook up with SEGA, and start releasing only somewhat old games like Virtua Fighter and Top Skater

That's the only way Game Room will even be relevant again.

#4 Posted by HandsomeDead (11863 posts) -

I think the main problem if that if a game is big enough to be sold on its own, it will be, for full price, so what you end up with are these old Intellivision games that no one would pay 400 MSP for. It feels like Game Room is fucked based on how late it is to XBLM an how it operates, which is a real shame as it seems like a really nice idea.

#5 Posted by animateria (3252 posts) -
@Goldanas said:
" The only way to really launch Game Room into the Heavy Weights division of retro-reselling would be for them to hook up with SEGA, and start releasing only somewhat old games like Virtua Fighter and Top Skater.  That's the only way Game Room will even be relevant again. "
Man, I totally wrote down Sega as unavailable but accidentally erased them while trying to order them by alphabetizing them.

Sega already published a couple of anthologies, one of them I know has Virtua Fighter in them. 

Anyways, I've looked through the arcade games list on Wikipedia and most of the publishers are what I listed. Others like Jaleco and Data East are gone and their properties owned by another corporations.

Perhaps they can get some games from the Atari Jaguar... Though I guess that's just a bunch of terrible games... 

Well at least Konami should throw in Contra at some point. Hopefully.
#6 Posted by ReyGitano (2467 posts) -

I don't care who they get, but they have to get someone soon. This is getting old fast.

#7 Posted by DevWil (842 posts) -
@animateria:  lol, are you trying to say sega wouldn't sell the same game over and over? 

dude.  lol. 

they need to get more arcade games or a new console emulated.  simple as that.
#8 Posted by JJWeatherman (14558 posts) -
#9 Posted by animateria (3252 posts) -
@DevWil:  

I'm saying they would rather sell the game themselves and see a higher profit margin.
#10 Posted by DevWil (842 posts) -
@animateria: possibly, but for their less prestigious properties i'm sure they wouldn't mind shoveling it out to microsoft to handle.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.