Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Game Room

Game » consists of 6 releases. Released Mar 24, 2010

A downloadable portal for official emulation of retro video games for the Xbox 360 and PC, featuring offerings from the Atari 2600 and Intellivision as well as early arcade games by Atari and Konami.

The Game Room Needs Renovating

• 96 results
    Slab64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#51  Edited By Slab64

Can someone confirm that all these same issues exist for the PC? And if the PC is possibly worse?

clstirens

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#52  Edited By clstirens

They need to add "Pit Viper" to the game room!

Seriously, Giant Bomb. It's a twin stick shooter, it's epic.

cornbredx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#53  Edited By cornbredx

IM surprised at how much I agree with your list, thats not to say that I didnt think you had the same nostalgia as me so much as I didnt think I'd remember the ones you mentioned and yet I totaly remember them! 

I agree with you, i hope they get the bugs fixed as well as they really take you of it sometimes, although I must admit everytime I play in the game room I find the time disappearing just like the old days when I would stay in a chucky cheese arcade until they turned off the power an dmade me lose my quarter, or some other arcade in the topanga mall (among other various arcades in cali back in the day). 

Games these days dont capture me the same way. I will play for awhile, but I dont get as engrossed in them as I do in these games, and I dont know why but I like to theorize. I suspect its because these games were made to keep eating your quarters so naturally they were made in such a way that made you want to keep playing, had challenge (often to challenging) but yet still remained fun and you just wanted to see what the next map was like. I dont know, there's a quality to the old arcade games you just dont see anymore and its why I love the idea and I reallly hope to see the games you mentioned as well as many others (the neo geo collections would be pretty cool). 

I would also like to mention I hope they get more of the graphics for the games machines. Its a real shame that so many are left out (and just black) on the current selection. I know its nit picking, but those had some awesome looks (look at the crystal castles machine, that thing is awesome). Its just a cool factor I enjoy. 

Anyway, I am talking to much but I really love the old arcade games and cant wait to see more. If they release more actual arcade games (not that I dont like the old consoles but as you said I still have alot of those that I dont really play anymore or can get somewhere else) I'll probably spend alot more money on it.
    jeff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 20

#54  Edited By jeff
    @Asembo said:
    " The lack of Pitfall on that list is hurting credibility of this post. "
    Pitfall! has an entirely attainable perfect score. It'll be kind of weak as a leaderboard game.
    ImperiousRix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 45

User Lists: 4

#55  Edited By ImperiousRix

Great article. 
    I honestly wished Game Room ran a lot smoother right "out da box".  I had a real problem with freezing in the few days I played it.  It also doesn't really explain a lot of the systems very well, and I too have noticed the "hiccups" that can occur when playing.  In a game like Tempest, where every split-second is crucial, this is a major problem. 
    My main problem with Game Room isn't its fault.  I'm broke right now and can't afford to buy any more machines, so after a few days of playing some serious Tempest, I was kind of at a place where I didn't necessarily clamber back into playing. 
    I'll hopefully get into it again when I get some money that isn't devoted to Super Street Fighter IV, Wario Ware DIY, or Red Dead Redemption.

keoskey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#56  Edited By keoskey

If you already own a game on XBLA they should give that game to you free to put in your arcade. if i own pac-man i dont want to spend another 240 MS point just to place it in my game room arcade.

SeriouslyNow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#57  Edited By SeriouslyNow

What should be in the game room are actual Arcade games, not piss poor Atari 2600 ports and certainly not El Generico 2600 games.  Revenge of Yar was an awful game as so many were on the 2600.  I think MS are really being the cheapest of assholes for proving such a pathetic lineup for the launch of the Games Room.  MAME has so many perfectly emulated games from the mid 80s to mid 90s which haven't seen a decent port in years, let alone the hundreds like Exed Exes which haven't been ported at all.  It's clear that MS has no fucking idea what to do with Games Room right now and I fear that it will be filled with extremely crappy, uber simple early 80s games for the forseeable future.  Pooyan is nice and all Jeff, same with Bosconian but come on man, what about Blasteroids and Sinistar?  What about a proper, Slapstick emu driven Marble Madness, Gauntlet II 4 player or any number of awesome late 80s games? The emulation community has been delivering so many great games since the the early 90s and I fail to see how MS could've missed the mark with their launch lineup.  Surely the licensing deals can't be that hard to finalise.

Hell they could selll a whole series of proper trackball and other esoteric controllers (like the three tiered spinner from Deadly Discs of Tron, another classic which would tie into TRON Legacy's impending release) off the back of some really decent releases. 

Honestly I think that Games Room is such an utter waste of such a great idea.

Jayzilla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#58  Edited By Jayzilla
    @keoskey said:
    " If you already own a game on XBLA they should give that game to you free to put in your arcade. if i own pac-man i dont want to spend another 240 MS point just to place it in my game room arcade. "
    thread?
    Sooty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

#59  Edited By Sooty
    @FluxWaveZ: 

More like original bra.
    TheGreatGuero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#60  Edited By TheGreatGuero

Total Carnage is a must, but I think I'd rather see it as an Xbox Live Arcade game instead of being in the game room.

DoctorWelch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

#61  Edited By DoctorWelch

I would play the shit outa some Q-Bert.

brazzle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#62  Edited By brazzle

Satan's Hollow is the shit, Also, Offroad is my third favourite arcade game ever - both would be great additions.

Frankly though I'm more interested in what they do if and when they branch out beyond strictly releasing old school arcade games like Pac Man.

I would love me some Primal Rage aka the best fighting game of all time - It's like Mortal Kombat except you're dinosaurs that eat people.

Tordah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#63  Edited By Tordah

Game Room is definitely a sweet idea, but there are some things that bug me. 

Why doesn't playing a game for a challenge count towards your medals, and why can't you submit that score to the leaderboards? I see no reasoning for that restriction whatsoever. You still play the same game in exactly the same way (assuming you set the challenge to highscore and start from the beginning).

Also, not having a quick way to see what games your friends own is annoying too.

birchman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#64  Edited By birchman

No more games for a few weeks?! Maan, goddamnit. The Dude does not approve.

EdgeOne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#65  Edited By EdgeOne

Great list! Zoo Keeper is classic. Why not provide a level to display and play existing XBLA games (doesn't need the same online interaction, rewind, etc.)  or, at the very least, the arcade classics I already purchased like Track and Field, Frogger, Pac-Man, Contra, Gauntlet, etc?

As it is now, it's pretty weak.  And how about pinball games?!  And a real claw game?  Sandbox exploration maybe?  Forget all that.  How about simply listing the game name on the screen instead of trying to make out the name on the cabinet from a distance with annoying avatars in the way??

And sorry, but Atari 2600 and Intellivision are NOT arcade games!!  I lived in the era of those consoles, and while fun at home, they SUCKED compared to the arcade games of the day - we went to the arcade to get AWAY from the home systems, NOT to play them!

This is a video game museum , not the fun arcades of the 70s & 80s I experienced.

Skald

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#66  Edited By Skald
    get2sammyb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#67  Edited By get2sammyb
    @ch13696 said:
    " I don't know about the Wii, but I like the PS One classics. Especially since you can transfer them to the PSP. Anyways, I understand your pain. "
    I agree, but I don't think Jeff dislikes them, he was merely saying that he's already got all the games in his garage, seeing as he reviewed them back in the day.
    Winternet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#68  Edited By Winternet

Yeah, Toobin'.

Avatar image for deactivated-65e3079d16391
    deactivated-65e3079d16391

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

Reactor, huh? I remember playing that to death on the Atari 2600. It would be cool to see that in the Game Room in its arcade version glory.

white

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#70  Edited By white

There is no such thing as too much Jungler.

KEEP PLAYING DAMMIT! *belt buckle whip*

pavakah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#71  Edited By pavakah

No Burger Time?  Or is that one that's been re-released to death?

Sin4profit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 37

#72  Edited By Sin4profit
    @Slab64: PC's just as bad...though you can customize your control layout on the PC...doesn't support custom avatar's if ya care...you just pick from a selection of prefabs to represent you...it's a little strange.
    eduardo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 10

#73  Edited By eduardo

I agree with a lot of the game suggestions. As soon as Spy Hunter and APB hit, I'm getting them at the spot.

paulunga

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#74  Edited By paulunga

Fuck Qix, I want Gals Panic (more specifically, the "S" series)!

skrutop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 48

User Lists: 14

#75  Edited By skrutop

I want the arcade version of NARC

Vitamin_Dei

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#76  Edited By Vitamin_Dei
    @Slab64: Yeah, I can confirm it. I'm playing on PC. The hitching and slowdown are pretty intermittent, but in twitch-based games like these where the average play time is measured in minutes, little glitches like that can be a disaster. 
    Jost1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 17

#77  Edited By Jost1

They definitely need to get Double Dragon 2 on there.

LegalBagel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#78  Edited By LegalBagel

Seems pretty clear that they ended up releasing early for Block Party, and it's going to end up hurting them.  Tons of bugs and server problems, and only about 3 good games released for the first two months.  I'm not filling my game room with crap just because they haven't released anything of interest yet, and it's likely I'll have completely lost interest by the time they get around to releasing more.

EndrzGame

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#79  Edited By EndrzGame

I'm holding out for S.T.U.N. Runner. Played that ALL the time.

I'm thinking of another arcade game as well but can't remember the name. This was back in late 80's early 90's. It was a four player game where everyone controlled their own tank. The HUGE cabinet was set up so that everyone sat around in a circle. It was very colorful,(cabinet and game),  and people could choose from different types of tanks-slow with powerful weapons, fast with weaker weapons. I can remember always choosing the blue tank. The controls consisted of two sticks that controlled each side of the tank-ie both sticks pushed forward to go straight, left stick down right stick up to turn left.  You played in a arena type setting where it was a last man standing rule.

I LOVED that game, and was very good at it. For the life of me I can't remember it's name.

Dan_CiTi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#80  Edited By Dan_CiTi

I just want one good old(er) fighting game, and that's Street Fighter Alpha 2 Gold. I know that's not the era this is going for, but I doubt A2G will get a proper XBLA/PSN release, especially with Alpha 3 Max being the much more likely candidate, if any Alpha game. 

Jeffrey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#81  Edited By Jeffrey

I want it to have:  
    Jumpman
    Not sure if it was on an arcade machine, but I remember playing a version on the Commodore 64.  
    Also let us actually walk the avatar around not this move camera click move camera click.

riskVSreward

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#82  Edited By riskVSreward

Jeff, good call with Congo Bongo. Although they better go with the arcade original and not any one of the home ports, or so help me...

GreggD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#83  Edited By GreggD

I want, nay, NEED some Total Carnage action.

Brackynews

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 48

#84  Edited By Brackynews
    @Jeffrey said:
    I want it to have:  Jumpman. Not sure if it was on an arcade machine, but I remember playing a version on the Commodore 64.
    Props for Epyx love.  The "modern" version is Jumpman Lives! from Apogee. There's another console game of that era that is familiar but I can't remember where I saw it the other day.

Check out MAH LIST: Arcade Emulation I will gladly pay for. I added a ton of images because I can't stand empty boxes. :)
    Zao

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#85  Edited By Zao

why are games like 250 to 400 points thats way to pricey since they arent even full screen.
    AriesDog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#86  Edited By AriesDog

How buggy Game Room is doesn't surprise me. It was developed by Krome. QA is not one of their strengths. Their "Hellboy: The Science of Evil" is one buggiest games I've played on the 360. It crashed constantly. Don't know why they didn't choose Backbone Entertainment to do this since they've handled most of the retro games on Xbox Live Arcade.
    TheDarkPrince

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#87  Edited By TheDarkPrince

i want the original streets of rage and the simpsons arcade (the 2nd game i probly locking in a seqof licencing) i doubt they will relses the originol pac man with out takeing out off XBLA
    Avatar image for deactivated-6418ef3727cdd
    deactivated-6418ef3727cdd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Who here thinks that Jeff will spend over 3000 dollars on game room over the next couple of years?

NekuCTR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#89  Edited By NekuCTR

Where's Pitfall?

Sin4profit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 37

#90  Edited By Sin4profit
    @S0ndor: i think he's learned his lesson after paying what he paid for those atari / intellivision games
    Lind_L_Taylor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#91  Edited By Lind_L_Taylor

Forgot all about Venture. I think they had a 2600 version of that as well.  Zaxxon would 
    be good as would Qbert.  There are some other Zaxxon-style games that I remember
    out in the mid-80s, but sadly I can't recall the name of the game I played back then,
    it was great better than Zaxxon...I wish I knew what it was called.

Avatar image for deactivated-649f07b15d7b8
    deactivated-649f07b15d7b8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Dude, Super Off Road!! What about Super Sprint!!!!!

Blkthorne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#93  Edited By Blkthorne
    @Jeff:
    I'm an older gamer and I'm hoping they get Berzerk, Pengo, Bagman, Bump 'n Jump, Arabian, Kangaroo, Crazy Climber, Mr. Do!!!, Q*Bert, Space Invaders, Burgertime and Zaxxon in the Game Room.  Kind of worried, that of the 1100+ games, they will be old console games mostly.  Since the Game Room was announced, I've actually started thinking about the gameshow Starcade for whatever reason.
    skrutop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 48

User Lists: 14

#94  Edited By skrutop
    DrunkenShaolin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#95  Edited By DrunkenShaolin

dont you think, they should include xboxlive acrade into this gameroom, like to have a level of the arcade just for ur paid XBLA  titles like!!! streetfighter and so on...
    geirr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#96  Edited By geirr

An online multiplayer version of Midway's Timber would be sweet~!  
    Funny how this obscure Midway game made it to an even more obscure diner in Norway.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.