This week in Game Room: two games

#1 Posted by gakon (1940 posts) -

Microsoft's game page for Game Room shows just two games for this Wednesday, Flak Attack and Kitten Kaboodle.  Game Room Quick Looks just got a bit shorter.

Actually, they might have just done some bad math for this Game Pack.  I think it was 15 games total, but they went 4, 4, and 5, and now they have 2 left over.

#2 Posted by rjayb89 (7713 posts) -

It's like they aren't even trying anymore.

#3 Posted by LordXavierBritish (6320 posts) -
@rjayb89 said:
" It's like they aren't even trying anymore. "
They were before?
#4 Posted by JJOR64 (18784 posts) -

I'm still really sad about Game Room.  It was such a cool idea when I heard about.  Too bad most of the games are crap and are too expensive.

#5 Posted by BionicMonster (1030 posts) -

just imagine how awesome game room could be if Capcom, Namco, or SNK joined. But it's probably already too late :(

#6 Posted by ArbitraryWater (11015 posts) -

Man, I can't wait for Jeff to snap during one of those quick looks and finally stop doing them. It's going to be a glorious video.

#7 Posted by gakon (1940 posts) -
@ArbitraryWater said:
" Man, I can't wait for Jeff to snap during one of those quick looks and finally stop doing them. It's going to be a glorious video. "
Halfway through Pac-Man for the 2600 he'll just set the controller down and take off his mic.  And that will be it!
#8 Posted by Murtaug (308 posts) -

Gameroom needs help badly. I love the idea but it has really been a huge let down. Really, I am just going to end up repeating things said during Quick Looks. 

I really hope they find a way to turn this thing around and fast, it has so much potential. But it is stunts like this that really shows how little effort they are putting into the thing at this point. Two games? Pathetic.  

The games need to be reduced in price too. Yeah, pipe dream, I know. But the caliber of what they have been releasing up to this point with the exception of a few really classic titles is not worth the asking price. 80 points should be the standard, with prices going up to the 240/320 range tops. They also need to pull in Capcom, SNK, Namco and others.  

Blah, this topic makes me sad.

#9 Posted by Hailinel (22717 posts) -

Game Room had a lot of potential.  In a lot of ways, it's similar to Nintendo's Virtual Console, but with the addition of online leaderboards, the medal system and all of the other fancy bells and whistles that make it such an intriguing service.

So why the hell couldn't Microsoft sign more companies to provide games for the service?

#10 Edited by LordXavierBritish (6320 posts) -
@Hailinel: Because they are too busy licensing Dreamcast titles. 

Maybe they will at least not fuck up on those.
#11 Posted by gakon (1940 posts) -

I think the amount of junk in Game Room could be forgiven if they just put out more stuff.  At this point there are over 300 games, and a good number worth owning.  Of course, it can be hard to find something good unless you know what you're looking for, but I think by making it a big clearinghouse of old games they can get away with having weird stuff like Checkers.  Two problems arise: first, $3 is a bit much for some of these games.  It's funny to think $3 is something worth pondering over, but some of these games aren't even worth that price as a novelty.  I have, however, played a few games for 2-3 hours each, including H.E.R.O. and Major Havok, so you can get your money's worth out good games.  Second, with so few games out each week, people who follow Game Room each week are met with disappointment because the quality tends to be so low.  Once again, they could solve this problem if they put out more games a week.  If they had, say, 10-15 every Wednesday there are bound to be a handful of games you're interested in.  But they can't do that; they can't.... "blow their retro wad" all at once, because they're clearly running out of games with no announced publishing deals to bolster the catalog.

#12 Posted by august (3811 posts) -
@LordXavierBritish: Those DC titles are skipping Game Room and going straight to xbla.
#13 Posted by LordXavierBritish (6320 posts) -
@august said:
" @LordXavierBritish: Those DC titles are skipping Game Room and going straight to xbla. "
I know?
#14 Posted by Cowman (653 posts) -
@LordXavierBritish said:
" @rjayb89 said:
" It's like they aren't even trying anymore. "
They were before? "
They tried for a while, up until Game Pack 004.  
But yeah it's clear Game Room is obviously trying to recreate the video game crash of '83. Heck most of the Game Room games are from that era.
#15 Posted by Tordah (2461 posts) -

Well, the two games from this week seemed pretty good, but the price is still turning me off. It's sad to see such wasted potential.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.