Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Game Room

Game » consists of 6 releases. Released Mar 24, 2010

A downloadable portal for official emulation of retro video games for the Xbox 360 and PC, featuring offerings from the Atari 2600 and Intellivision as well as early arcade games by Atari and Konami.

To those asking "Why would anyone want this?"

Jasonofindy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By Jasonofindy

This post is for all those looking at the entire Game Room concept and asking, "What the hell?  Why?" 

My guess is unless you were old enough to have actually played these games in an actual arcade or on the early consoles in your best friend's living room, then this entire idea will seem silly and pointless.  However, as someone who did play many of these games at 25 cents a pop, this has the potential to be awesome.  Starting with these 30 titles and adding new ones each week, you get one session of Free Play with each title in the Showroom.  From my experience so far, one session appears to be one timed ten minute session and not simply one play as I feared when I read the previews.  You then can also get another session of Free Play in a friend's Game Room.  You also have in-game tokens that can be used for more Free Play sessions.  Finally, you can then spend 50 cents for more sessions.  However, given how much actual free play you get I don't understand why anyone would exercise the 50 cent option when the actual games are only $3. 

All this Free Play is important as the truth is that many of these titles weren't even worth 25 cents to play in 1980.  Sadly, the original group of 30 titles has a number of dogs. However, there are also some titles that were at least great then and a small few that have stood the test of time.  Is every game here worth $3?  Hell no.  However, there certainly are a few games that are worth it if you can look past old graphics and sound to see the quality in their game concepts.  I suggest using Free Play to find these.   

Sharing those few that have stood the test of time with my daughter is what makes the entire Game Room concept awesome in my opinion.  She is already positively in love with the Atari game Adventure. Just seeing the enjoyment she has received from the game has been well worth my 240 points.  I'll never forget when she first watched me load up the game and squealed, "Daddy, why is that duck trying to eat you?"**   

The competitive "challenge" aspect and the ability to rewind difficult games are just icing on the cake in my opinion.  

**For the uninitiated, Adventure is a quest like game where you are a warrior (actually just a box) out to find the keys to the three castles of the land in hopes of locating a magical trophy.  Your quest is to find the trophy and return it to the Gold castle while avoiding three colored dragons that look amazingly like ducks.  If you try it out, be sure to play scenario 3 where the placement of all items is randomized.  Scenario 1 is a small training scenario, and Scenario 2 is a larger fixed scenario.      

Rhaknar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#2  Edited By Rhaknar

im old enough to have played some of those and i still dont want it. Then again, i also dont question people that do

MikkaQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By MikkaQ

This is a great service, if it's well executed. I for one, am really looking forward to getting back to basics and playing some old ass arcade games. Somewhat less excited for the 2600 titles, though I used to play a lot of 'em... 

But goddamn, son. Lunar lander. It's on!

Jasonofindy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Jasonofindy
    @Rhaknar said:
    " im old enough to have played some of those and i still dont want it. Then again, i also dont question people that do "
    I can certainly respect that. 

@XII_Sniper:  
    Agreed about the old ass arcade games.  I personally would love to see Gorf.  I played it a bit in the arcade and played the shit out of the Commodore Vic-20 port.  There are only a small select number of 2600 titles I'm looking forward to but I got lucky and one of them was in the first batch of games.  I honestly don't know anything about the Intellivision titles as I never played one.  
    bagmanforhire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 17

#5  Edited By bagmanforhire

all i wanted was a good version of tempest and its done just that so its a win for me!!!

trace

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 8

#6  Edited By trace

Well said, Jasonofindy. Compared to the games of this generation, yeah, quite a few of these titles wouldn't even come close to holding up. With a bit of nostalgia and appreciation for the old classics, they're well worth the few bucks. A lot of it's perspective, as far as I'm concerned.

I've only purchased Astrosmash in the Game Room so far, but as a person who grew up on Intellivision games, it is doing a lot to bring back my childhood. While that's not necessarily worth $3, the ability to have my high score saved and ranked, along with replays of my best efforts? Yeah, that makes it worthwhile.

I might own the old games, and I might own a few Intellivision collections already, but I'm still looking forward to any future titles that might pique my interest. I only wish that for the Intellivision, they'd add a "Dip Switch" feature that let you turn on controls similar to playing with two controllers, which let you use the disc and numpad at the same time for "run and gun" controls. That would make Night Stalker a must-purchase when it comes out.

TheGreatGuero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#7  Edited By TheGreatGuero

I think it's a wonderful idea and I didn't even know about getting a free play with each game. That's an awesome idea. I imagine I'll be spending a whole lot of time checking out the game room.

cornbredx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#8  Edited By cornbredx

Ya I love the game room concept and cant wait for more actual arcade titles. My first console was atari 2600 so, ya... I have that nostalgia factor that makes it work for me.  

My bigget want out of this is all the classic arcade titles. Already got centipede and crystal castles; Hope they get QBert in there. I would also hope for others, like donkey kong or old versions of PacMan or Ms. Pacman in this system. Even more newer stuff (from the 90s) like Dragons Lair, virtua cop, or something like that. I dont know how far this game room thing is gonna go but alot of those old arcade games would be cool to see. Well maybe not the rail gun shooters... =P that was just an example.  

I am only worried they wont be able to get the license for alot of the really good titles.
    MikkaQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By MikkaQ
    @Jasonofindy:  Aaah yeah, Gorf was pretty fun from what I can recall. It used to be that arcades would keep around some of the classics, before all arcades kinda died off (cept in some pockets). My last chance to play a lot of these was in the mid to late 90s. So yeah I'm hyped for this. Intellivision I've barely, if ever played, so hopefully discovering a few gems from that could be fun. The free play is key, because a lot of these games were a total gamble in quality. Especially the older console games. 
    MysteriousBob

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 5

#10  Edited By MysteriousBob

Microsoft has done the impossible and has got me hooked on these 80s arcade games. I've never wanted to get a high score in anything before but now I'm obsessed. I've been playing Shao-Lins Road the most. I've never heard of it before, but its great. For those interested: I was born in '89.

LordAndrew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 36

#11  Edited By LordAndrew

Oh shit! Adventure is in there? I'm all over that!

doctorkaneder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#12  Edited By doctorkaneder
    @Jasonofindy said:

"From my experience so far, one session appears to be one timed ten minute session and not simply one play as I feared when I read the previews. "

I had the same worries as you, and was relieved after seeing the number of options you get at playing these games for free. Game Room has to be one of the more exciting "features" I've seen come to the Xbox 360, and one of the hardest to justify for strict supporters of MAME, or rather the notion that "these games are old so they should be free" mindset. It's something that I think will, sadly, hurt Game Room, but the bottom line, however, is that this thing has enough style and draw that will make it really fun.
    Jasonofindy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Jasonofindy
    @XII_Sniper:  In addition to the Intellivision games that I was never exposed to, I'm hoping that in the future the free play will help me rediscover some of the arcade titles I just don't recall the name of.  I can remember two or three games from my old arcade that I played quite a bit but honestly don't remember the title of.  For instance, there was a game that was like 50% top down maze shooter interspersed with flying shooter levels.  I remember it was right between the Ice Climber and the Defender machines, but not the name of the game.  It is odd what the brain will and won't remember.   
    MikkaQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By MikkaQ
    @Jasonofindy: Yeah that's a good point. Maybe I'll find something hidden deep deep in the recesses of my memory. Okay NOW I'm excited, can't wait till work's done. 

@doctorkaneder:  As someone who has used (and still kinda does) use MAME, I'd honestly much rather use gameroom. Game room's up on my big TV, with my xbox controller, in front of my couch. This is key. Not only that, but the whole "challenge" feature, and skipping parts of the game, and things of that nature totally blow MAME out the water. Much more attractive. And finally, the 3$ per game price tag would make me feel bad for not buying vs emulating. If they pulled a Nintendo and charged 10$ for nostalgia, I'd tell 'em to eff off, but this is a really good value. And the volume of games is nuts.
    doctorkaneder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By doctorkaneder
    @XII_Sniper: Yeah, I'm with you on that. MAME is adjustable in many ways, and has been used to create some, although illegal*, wonderful setups. I've done my share of using emulation but have never declined a service charging for games that one could easily get their hands on. The problem is, there are plenty of people that do. Game Room seems like a positive environment that has enough things going for it that'll hook people in, but I guess I just wish more people supported the idea of bringing these games to light again, rather than disregarding it entirely. It's true: price is where it's at, and in my opinion, they got it right. Except that whole 50¢ thing; what's up with that? 

* To be fair, continuing to keep these games without ownership is illegal, not the emulators or setups themselves.
    MikkaQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By MikkaQ
    @doctorkaneder: Yeah the whole quarter match thing is strange, if it were an actual quarter for a play... they might have been on to something. But for 2.50$ more than one round you get the whole thing forever, that's not bad. If I really like a game, I'd even chip extra for the PC version too. I like this whole cloud concept they're using, if I can be issued a challenge on my xbox, go on vacation, and finish the challenge on my laptop, that's basically the future of games for me. Pure awesome. 

I got really into MAME stuff one summer (when my computer broke). I bought a book on MAME cabinets, and was basically about to build one. I had really meticulous schematics too. Just ran out of money. That's basically the one way I'd say is cool to use MAME, because it's genuinely creative, if slightly illegal haha. I think once people get their hands on game room though, they might change their minds. If microsoft made it easier to just hook a credit card into your account, and just start charging things, no buying points, then it could be a lot more popular. I know I'd spend a lot more money if I didn't have to think about buying a 30$ chunk of points instead of 3$ here, 3$ there kinda thing. That's the infectious steam model, I suppose. 
    doctorkaneder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By doctorkaneder
    @XII_Sniper said:
    "If I really like a game, I'd even chip extra for the PC version too. I like this whole cloud concept they're using, if I can be issued a challenge on my xbox, go on vacation, and finish the challenge on my laptop, that's basically the future of games for me. Pure awesome.  
    Word. 

@XII_Sniper said:    

"If microsoft made it easier to just hook a credit card into your account, and just start charging things, no buying points, then it could be a lot more popular. I know I'd spend a lot more money if I didn't have to think about buying a 30$ chunk of points instead of 3$ here, 3$ there kinda thing. That's the infectious steam model, I suppose.  " 

Word!
    MAN_FLANNEL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By MAN_FLANNEL

I got 55 achievement points for changing the theme to 80's and putting 8 chainsaws in my arcade.

trophyhunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 5

#19  Edited By trophyhunter

This sums of my feeling exactly

Valestis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Valestis
    @MysteriousBob said:

" Microsoft has done the impossible and has got me hooked on these 80s arcade games. I've never wanted to get a high score in anything before but now I'm obsessed. I've been playing Shao-Lins Road the most. I've never heard of it before, but its great. For those interested: I was born in '89. "

Shao-Lin's Road is the shit. GUTS! I haven't tried all 30 games yet, but so far Shao-Lin's Road was the only one I liked enough to buy. I was born in 1990 and have never played most of these games, so it's kinda hard for me to enjoy many of them, but I do still think that Game Room is pretty cool and has GIGATONSSSSSSSSSSS of potential. Sorry, I've been playing Bayonetta. Great game.
    Rayfield

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Rayfield
    @MAN_FLANNEL said:
    "I got 55 achievement points for changing the theme to 80's and putting 8 chainsaws in my arcade. "

Checked it out last night and I have to say chainsaws as a prop for your arcade don't make a lick of sense. 

I love what they've done. Hopefully they keep delivering obscure titles. If they start selling Pac Man or Space Invaders that would be boring as hell. 

Brunchies

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#22  Edited By Brunchies

Game room seems like a good idea for all the people who had the old systems back in the 80s and 90s.

Rayfield

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Rayfield

Also Microsoft are evil geniuses for having sweet themes for your arcade locked until you reach level 40 or 50 or whatever. As soon as I saw that, the completionist in me came out and said DUDE YOU NEED TO UNLOCK THAT SHIT GET TO WORK.
    Sin4profit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 37

#24  Edited By Sin4profit

I like the idea that they're building a virtual museum for classic gaming enthusiasts. You can not spend a dime and at least appreciate it from that perspective. It's unfortunate,though, that some of the cabinets look really generic. That alone killed my intensive to buy some of the machines day one...why am i paying the same $3 for these half assed efforts? I'm a fan of cabinet art myself.

End_Boss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#25  Edited By End_Boss

I'm old enough to have played these games when I was younger. 

I still don't see the point of this.

Jeust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 15

#26  Edited By Jeust

@Jasonofindy:

@End_Boss said:

" I'm old enough to have played these games when I was younger.  I still don't see the point of this. "

While i understand your point, i played them too. And the spectrum. And i don't see the relevance of buying them, for any purpose other than nostalgia and adhering to a phase. 

Those games don't hold a candle today. There are just much better games.  

But there are arcade games that are worth it by today standards: Final Fight, Metal Slug, The Punisher, The Simpsons, Super Sidekicks... But the spectrum ones or even Road Fighter, aren't part of them.  
    ryanwho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By ryanwho

You forget, "real hardcore gamers" have only existed since 2003. So they would have no interest in the before time. 

jeffgoldblum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By jeffgoldblum

I respect people who want to play those games again, but goddam it has just been too long for me.

iam3green

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By iam3green

game room sounds pretty interesting. i don't think i will be getting any arcades. i don't find anything great with the avatars.

Lambert

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Lambert
    @trophyhunter said:

" This sums of my feeling exactly

"
    Stop advertising that shitty podcast/site.
    owenneil

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#31  Edited By owenneil

I like the idea, Just right now it doesn't have anything I want.

sickVisionz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By sickVisionz
    @owenneil said:
    " I like the idea, Just right now it doesn't have anything I want. "
    This.  My earliest arcade memories start around 1990 so the current game room looks like the shittiest arcade ever created compared to my memories of the arcade.  There were better games in the broken laundromat cabinet than what game room currently offers. 

I hope that there's a way to transfer XBLA games to Gameroom.  Stuff like Final Fight Double Impact, Crazy Taxi, Afterburner, Double Dragon, Outrun, Marvel vs Capcom 2, Metal Slug, Soul Caliber, TNMT arcade, etc are the style and quality level of games that I remember playing in the arcade when I was a kid.  Centipede and Breakout are the best titles in game room so far and those were like laundromat quality titles for me.  Where's the 6 player X-Men game, Captain Commando, Simpsons, any 2D Capcom Fighter, etc?
    The_A_Drain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By The_A_Drain
    @sickVisionz said:
    " @owenneil said:
    " I like the idea, Just right now it doesn't have anything I want. "
    This.  My earliest arcade memories start around 1990 so the current game room looks like the shittiest arcade ever created compared to my memories of the arcade.  There were better games in the broken laundromat cabinet than what game room currently offers.  I hope that there's a way to transfer XBLA games to Gameroom.  Stuff like Final Fight Double Impact, Crazy Taxi, Afterburner, Double Dragon, Outrun, Marvel vs Capcom 2, Metal Slug, Soul Caliber, TNMT arcade, etc are the style and quality level of games that I remember playing in the arcade when I was a kid.  Centipede and Breakout are the best titles in game room so far and those were like laundromat quality titles for me.  Where's the 6 player X-Men game, Captain Commando, Simpsons, any 2D Capcom Fighter, etc? "
    Yeah. Uhh.. Most of those games are not coming to game room. Why? Because £2 a pop is practically giving them away for free. Those games are so fondly remembered, and recent and substantial enough that they should be given full XBLA releases. As we have been seeing for quite a lot of them. Game Room is intended specifically for the older generation who remember things like Super Breakout, Space Invaders and Galaga etc as fondly as you remember the games you have listed. I believe the intention is to release games from around the late 70's to the late 80's, anything past that is probably going to be released as a full XBLA title or not at all. 

And no, there is no way to transfer purchases between XBLA and Game Room. 

Also, Double Dragon (being older than the majority of other games you mentioned) is out this wednesday on the service :)

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.