£22 GameCube, worth it?

#1 Posted by Panelhopper (225 posts) -

So in my local used electronics store ( for my fellow UK residents its my local CEX) I came across a GameCube for £22, with games and controllers for sale in the same store at about £10. So, the question becomes is it worth buying? I know that, compared to the other consoles of its generation, it lacks a few features, but for games it seems pretty good. Lots of Nintendo exclusives that are great stand out games, as well as some great versions of some games of the era that I love ( soul calibur 2 and resi 4 are two games that will remain in my all time faves ) So any thoughts?

#2 Posted by JasonR86 (9763 posts) -

@Panelhopper:

I would get a Wii myself as it is backwards compatible with all GC games but if that isn't an option then sure get the GC. There were a lot of great games on that system.

#3 Posted by Jimbo (9937 posts) -

Wind Waker and Skies of Arcadia are well worth playing if you haven't before. Utterly charming games.

#4 Posted by believer258 (12103 posts) -

You could get a backwards compatible Wii and some component cables if you've got the extra cash. However, if you don't, then get that and go play Metroid Prime! And Super Mario Sunshine!

There are plenty of good games on the Gamecube. It's not as bountiful as, say, the PS2's unmatched number of good games, but there's plenty of respectable good fun to be had with a Gamecube.

#5 Posted by mtcantor (948 posts) -

Yeah, unless you just want to collect hardware, just get a wii.

#6 Posted by thegoldencat7 (1500 posts) -

Sure why not. I love buying old consoles. You'd maybe find a better deal on ebay though.

#7 Posted by MikkaQ (10335 posts) -

@JasonR86 said:

@Panelhopper:

I would get a Wii myself as it is backwards compatible with all GC games but if that isn't an option then sure get the GC. There were a lot of great games on that system.

I wouldn't at this point just because the new Wiis don't do GC games and there's a lot of used ones out there than don't either.

For 22 pounds I'd get the Gamecube itself, that's nothing. And it's a great little console. That handle is still the coolest part about it.

#8 Posted by evanbower (1216 posts) -

@Panelhopper said:

So in my local used electronics store ( for my fellow UK residents its my local CEX) I came across a GameCube for £22, with games and controllers for sale in the same store at about £10. So, the question becomes is it worth buying? I know that, compared to the other consoles of its generation, it lacks a few features, but for games it seems pretty good. Lots of Nintendo exclusives that are great stand out games, as well as some great versions of some games of the era that I love ( soul calibur 2 and resi 4 are two games that will remain in my all time faves ) So any thoughts?

Regardless of the Wii backwards compatibility, I'd still pick up a GameCube. It's just a really cool console, very of its era. Also, the convenient handle makes it easy to take where ever you go.

#9 Posted by ThePickle (4190 posts) -

Yes.

#10 Posted by iAmJohn (6134 posts) -

@MikkaQ said:

@JasonR86 said:

@Panelhopper:

I wouldn't at this point just because the new Wiis don't do GC games and there's a lot of used ones out there than don't either.

For 22 pounds I'd get the Gamecube itself, that's nothing. And it's a great little console. That handle is still the coolest part about it.

I was gonna go with "just get a Wii," but this is a very good point.

#11 Posted by GS_Dan (1406 posts) -

Don't need to fact around with Wii remotes if you get a GameCube.

You should get Wind Waker, Animal Crossing, F-Zero GX and Metroid as a minimum :-D

Double Dash is awesome if you get a few controllers.

#12 Posted by Moth_Pope (457 posts) -

Eternal Darkness is another great Gamecube exclusive. Definitely look into getting that if you buy one.

#13 Posted by pyromagnestir (4337 posts) -

Worth it.

I'd also recommend, if you're in the mood to go real crazy, hunting down a Game Boy Player while you're at it. That plugs into the bottom of the GameCube and lets you insert Game Boy and Game Boy Advance cartridges on your Gamecube. I bought a GameCube after I couldn't find mine just for this purpose.

#14 Posted by FunkasaurasRex (847 posts) -

@pyromagnestir said:

Worth it.

I'd also recommend, if you're in the mood to go real crazy, hunting down a Game Boy Player while you're at it. That plugs into the bottom of the GameCube and lets you insert Game Boy and Game Boy Advance cartridges on your Gamecube. I bought a GameCube after I couldn't find mine just for this purpose.

This. There are a lot of great GBA games which you can buy reasonably cheap these days and being able to play them on your TV is pretty dope.

#15 Posted by RazielCuts (2984 posts) -

Watch out on getting that Gamecube, bro. (3:04)

#16 Posted by Hizang (8532 posts) -

People may joke but the GameCube is a great standalone console, sure you could buy a Wii, but the GameCube is a cooler console than he Wii, plus no safety instructions before you play.

#17 Posted by Panelhopper (225 posts) -

I should point out that, while I do have a wii, it's 2nd gen so it doesn't play GameCube games. That gameboy player add on seems pretty awesome too, can't believe I never knew about that. @RazielCuts oh my god! I haven't seen that Derrick comedy sketch in years! A classic! Thankfully I grew out of using axe body spray long before university....what I do with my big black rubber objects however, is my own business

#18 Posted by jking47 (1246 posts) -

Gamecube is fucking great. People talk shit about it, but they must not be thinking clearly or something. Lots of great games, is a must have console in my opinion.

#19 Posted by isomeri (1389 posts) -

The GameCube was pretty rad with those tiny disks and that handle and all. If you can get games and controllers for under 10 $/€/£ then sure. But you could also look for a used Wii.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.