Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

GameCube

Platform »

The Nintendo GameCube is a sixth generation video game console released by Nintendo on September 15, 2001 in Japan, November 18, 2001 in North America, May 3, 2002 in Europe, and May 17, 2002 in Australia.

Found a 10 year old thread on another forum about the GameCube

CmdrSheppard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By CmdrSheppard

Wow, I just completely stumbled across this on Google. It's a forum thread from 10 years ago when the GameCube was just announced and everyone was comparing the GameCube to the Xbox. Everyone in the thread said that Nintendo's GameCube was going to obliterate Microsoft's Xbox, and that the Xbox would fail. I for one find it hilarious that people were accusing Microsoft of being evil and the Devil, much similar to how we have now turned our hate towards Activision. The thread also moved into discussing piracy, more particularly console (GameCube to be specific) piracy, which everyone suddenly seems to think is a new issue. And people referring to how horrible Xbox was doing in sales. It's kind of fun looking back on these old console war threads, kind of informative and tells you what people used to think like back then. What do you think of this?

Link: http://www.konami.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=1370

Aronman789

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#2  Edited By Aronman789

I'm not sure if this counts as reviving a dead thread or not.

MooseyMcMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#3  Edited By MooseyMcMan

I remember back then. We all thought Microsoft was stupid for entering the console wars, and that it was going to be a major failure.  

Those were the days...

RedRoach

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#4  Edited By RedRoach

I got the same feeling listening to ZanzibarBreeze's "best of hotspot" podcasts. 
    It's crazy to think how much this industry has changed from the beginning of this generation when HD was strange and new.

mikeeegeee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By mikeeegeee

Old threads are one of my favorite things about the internet. To stumble upon something timestamped as "2001" (or even earlier) brings a bit of undeniable joy to me.  

The surprise of finding a collection of thoughts ten years after they were posted, coupled with the awe of the realization that those words, and the very words I presently type, will be etched in digital stone for decades or centuries to come, creates a swelling appreciation of history within me. At the least, this sense of perspective commands me to present my thoughts coherently and free of error. At the most, I am inspired knowing that historical bookkeeping will never be the same. 

Then again, it's just a console war thread, which we have plenty of today that aren't any more mature than they were ten years ago. Still, a very cool find.

MudMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#6  Edited By MudMan
    @CmdrSheppard said:
    " Wow, I just completely stumbled across this on Google. It's a forum thread from 10 years ago when the GameCube was just announced and everyone was comparing the GameCube to the Xbox. Everyone in the thread said that Nintendo's GameCube was going to obliterate Microsoft's Xbox, and that the Xbox would fail. I for one find it hilarious that people were accusing Microsoft of being evil and the Devil, much similar to how we have now turned our hate towards Activision. The thread also moved into discussing piracy, more particularly console (GameCube to be specific) piracy, which everyone suddenly seems to think is a new issue. And people referring to how horrible Xbox was doing in sales. It's kind of fun looking back on these old console war threads, kind of informative and tells you what people used to think like back then. What do you think of this?

Link: http://www.konami.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=1370 "
    They weren't completely wrong. Both consoles sold the same amount of units in the end, and neither threatened the PS2 at all. 

People don't seem to remember these days with the success of the Xbox 360, but the Xbox 1 pretty much bombed. The clever part of that story is that it was always planned for it to not sell well. It was released as basically a proof of concept for a consolified PC. Failure, quick iteration and tweaks to the design were always on the table, and MS was never shy about that. 
    CmdrSheppard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By CmdrSheppard

It reminds us of all that once was good, and it could be again.

Bennyishere

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 5

#8  Edited By Bennyishere

Ha, can't believe people fought over consoles back then. Good thing that changed, right?

CmdrSheppard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By CmdrSheppard
    @Bennyishere: lol

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.