GameCube best games?

• 52 results
Posted by HumanityPlague (251 posts) -

So, I'm trying to determine a list of the best GameCube games.  I've been looking to buy a GameCube (or possibly a Panasonic Q), and some games, but I'm having a hard time trying to nail down the "best" games for the system.  Here's what I got so far:

1.  Animal Crossing
2.  Sonic Gems Collection
3.  Eternal Darkness
4.  Legend of Zelda Collector's Edition
5.  Legend of Zelda: Wind Waker
6.  Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess
7.  Mario Kart Double Dash
8.  MGS: Twin Snakes
9.  Metroid Prime 1 and 2
10.  Paper Mario
11.  Pikman 1 or 2
12.  Resident Evil
13.  Skies of Arcadia
14.  Starfox Adventures
15.  Starfox Assault
16.  Super Mario Sunshine
17.  Super Smash Bros Melee
18.  Wave Race: Blue Storm

If anyone else can recommend anything, it'd be much appreciated.  Thanks.

#1 Posted by HumanityPlague (251 posts) -

So, I'm trying to determine a list of the best GameCube games.  I've been looking to buy a GameCube (or possibly a Panasonic Q), and some games, but I'm having a hard time trying to nail down the "best" games for the system.  Here's what I got so far:

1.  Animal Crossing
2.  Sonic Gems Collection
3.  Eternal Darkness
4.  Legend of Zelda Collector's Edition
5.  Legend of Zelda: Wind Waker
6.  Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess
7.  Mario Kart Double Dash
8.  MGS: Twin Snakes
9.  Metroid Prime 1 and 2
10.  Paper Mario
11.  Pikman 1 or 2
12.  Resident Evil
13.  Skies of Arcadia
14.  Starfox Adventures
15.  Starfox Assault
16.  Super Mario Sunshine
17.  Super Smash Bros Melee
18.  Wave Race: Blue Storm

If anyone else can recommend anything, it'd be much appreciated.  Thanks.

#2 Posted by Vinny_Says (5681 posts) -

I think you just named all the gamecube games.....

#3 Posted by Hizang (8534 posts) -

Yea thats a pretty good list, 1080 Avalance?
#4 Posted by Icemael (6305 posts) -

You missed Resident Evil 4, dude. And P.N. 03 is pretty good.

#5 Posted by JasonR86 (9578 posts) -
@HumanityPlague:

You missed F-Zero GX, Tales of Symphonia and Resident Evil 4 and Remake.
#6 Posted by Hailinel (23663 posts) -

Fire Emblem: Path of Radiance is an excellent game.

#7 Posted by Icicle7x3 (1169 posts) -

You can go ahead and take those starfox games off that list.

#8 Posted by Claude (16254 posts) -
@Icicle7x3 said:
" You can go ahead and take those starfox games off that list. "
Star Fox Adventures was good. Screw the haters.
#9 Posted by TeflonBilly (4713 posts) -

I rather enjoyed Viewtiful Joe

#10 Posted by NukePuke (31 posts) -

TimeSplitters 2

TimeSplitters: Future Perfect
Freedom Fighters
From Russia With Love
#11 Posted by LordKisame (23 posts) -

Resident Evil 4
 Legend of Zelda
 Soulcalibur
 Beyond Good & Evil
 Prince of Persia: The Two Thrones
 Mega Man Anniversary Collection

And of course Mortal Kombat Gold

#12 Posted by Kraznor (1578 posts) -

That version of Killer 7 is slightly better than its PS2 counterpart in terms of loading times etc., though it does come on two discs. And yeah, Viewtiful Joe and its sequel are pretty great. Would probably consider Double Dash and the Star Fox games non-essential but if that's your bag, whatever. I DO own both Starfox Adventures and the aforementioned Double Dash (though I DID get it for a dollar) so slightly hypocritical, but there ya go.

#13 Posted by CaptainTightPants (2834 posts) -

Resident Evil Zero
I am honestly drawing a bit of a blank here.

#14 Posted by HumanityPlague (251 posts) -

I purposefully didn't put multi-platform games on the list, like Viewtiful Joe, Beyond Good & Evil, Mega Man Anniversary Collection, etc.  I did put Resident Evil (remake) down at no. 12.  I already got RE 4 for the PS2, and PC (I think).

#15 Posted by keyhunter (3207 posts) -

I only ever played 2 GC games to completion. Resident Evil 1 Remake, and F-Zero GX. And I guess Bro Melee. So 3. Those were pretty good games.

#16 Posted by Claude (16254 posts) -

I might buy these Gamecube games... Jedi Knight II: Jedi Academy, Gun, Baten Kaitos, Super Mario Brothers Strikers and Custom Robo. Some people liked Metal Arms: Glitch in the System.

#17 Posted by Pullarius_Capax (79 posts) -

I will add my recommendation to Tales of Symphonia and Fire Emblem: Path of Radiance. Those two games easily rank up there for my favorite games of all time (in my opinion).

#18 Posted by Teleri (123 posts) -

Why a gamecube?  You can play that stuff on the wii (I'm sure you know), and it's rumored there will be a price drop for the console.

#19 Posted by Sayishere (1838 posts) -

You got them all to be honest, the only games i would add there would be resident evil zero (as a RE fan)

another one maybe Tales of Symphonia? (i never played it, but its highly regarded in the genre), im actually planning on buying this for my gamecube, wanna play it :)
#20 Posted by ch13696 (4582 posts) -
@Teleri said:
" Why a gamecube?  You can play that stuff on the wii (I'm sure you know), and it's rumored there will be a price drop for the console. "
Gamecube is a lot cheaper. $30 used at Gamestop.
#21 Posted by Vitor (2809 posts) -
@Icemael said:
" You missed Resident Evil 4, dude. And P.N. 03 is pretty good. "
This. Although I remember being pretty bored by P.N. 03 at the time despite it looking cool and having an interesting play style.
#22 Posted by RockinKemosabe (619 posts) -

Yeah Skies of Arcadia!

#23 Posted by craigbo180 (1739 posts) -

Soul Calibur 2 on the gamecube is pretty good and is the best version because of Link! I think you are mostly covered but donkey konga and warioware are good if you are looking for party games.

#24 Posted by gbpackers94 (116 posts) -

Luigi's Mansion.

#25 Posted by TooWalrus (13127 posts) -

Luigi's Mansion: Game of the year 2001 (through 2011)

#26 Posted by dbz1995 (4789 posts) -

F-Zero GX is really awesome. Fire Emblem-if you can get it.

#27 Posted by SaNdMuNkEy (38 posts) -
@TooWalrus said:
" Luigi's Mansion: Game of the year 2001 (through 2011) "
^ Definitely this!!!
I also seem to remember Final Fantasy: Crystal Chronicles being quite good but it's being a while since I've played it
#28 Posted by GetEveryone (4455 posts) -

Viewtiful Joe 1 and 2 were both fantastic.

#29 Edited by Tyrannosaur (13 posts) -

I recommend Geist.

#30 Posted by FreakAche (2948 posts) -
@Claude said:
" @Icicle7x3 said:
" You can go ahead and take those starfox games off that list. "
Star Fox Adventures was good. Screw the haters. "
Yeah, Star Fox Adventures is just Rare's take on a Zelda style game. Nothing wrong with that.
#31 Posted by Zidd (1836 posts) -

Rogue Leader is also missing from your list. Its seriously one of the best star wars games.

#32 Posted by JJGIANT (755 posts) -
@NukePuke said:
" TimeSplitters 2
TimeSplitters: Future Perfect
Freedom Fighters
From Russia With Love
"
Ok goood, good, great......wait From Russia With Love? What?

Wind waker or Sushine
#33 Posted by AOR (70 posts) -

Timesplitters: Future Perfect was the last FPS that I enjoyed. Such an amazing game.

I'm disappointed Cubivore hasn't been mentioned here yet. Or GiFTPiA!
#34 Posted by kingzetta (4307 posts) -
@blacklabeldomm said:
" I think you just named all the gamecube games..... "
#35 Posted by advocatefish (355 posts) -

Resident Evil Zero is still great.

#36 Posted by Gerhabio (1975 posts) -
#37 Posted by ProfessorBread (31 posts) -

Eternal Darkness!

#38 Posted by noobcubed (27 posts) -
@HumanityPlague said:
I purposefully didn't put multi-platform games on the list, like Viewtiful Joe, Beyond Good & Evil, Mega Man Anniversary Collection, etc.  I did put Resident Evil (remake) down at no. 12.  I already got RE 4 for the PS2, and PC (I think).
For the record, Skies of Arcadia: Legends is an enhanced port of a Dreamcast game, so if you're avoiding multi-platform games, it technically shouldn't be on the list. 

It's still a great game, though.
#39 Posted by sp00nsie (11 posts) -

Jungle Beat and Battalion Wars? Though Metroid Prime, Melee, and Double Dash are my faves.

#40 Posted by AndrewB (7437 posts) -

Old thread.

But add Tales of Symphonia to that list. The best Tales game, hands down, and a solid JRPG without the boring JRPG combat.

#41 Posted by Krendrayven (85 posts) -

@Hizang said:

Yea thats a pretty good list, 1080 Avalance?

I have an unhealthy obsession with that game.. and Ricky Winterborn. Hahahaha. Well, use too anyway..

#42 Posted by araya2012 (2 posts) -

There is this game that I'm trying to find which is amazing! A man is killed in broad daylight after he exits his home (I'm assuming he's Japanese. He is gorgeous with beautiful white hair). He is stabbed in the back. He is revived by an androgynous creature (a type of spirit) that tells him that he will help him find out who killed him. If he finds out who kills him, he will be able to stop his death from happening. The man must delve in his past (using time travel) to piece clues together to find out whom has killed him. I know I LOVE this game but I have no idea what it is called. Judging by the description though, you should find yourself intrigued a bit at least.

#43 Posted by TaliciaDragonsong (8698 posts) -
#44 Posted by handlas (2634 posts) -

No one said Zelda Windwaker? Was that not a Gamecube game?

For some reason...just today...buying a Gamecube popped into my brain and won't go away. I must be going slightly insane myself. I thought maybe I should just get a Wii but having a Gamecube just sounds more intriguing.

So thanks for the list. I may actually follow thru with this. I really miss the Resident Evil remake that never got released on anything else.

#45 Edited by Claude (16254 posts) -
@handlas said:

No one said Zelda Windwaker? Was that not a Gamecube game?

For some reason...just today...buying a Gamecube popped into my brain and won't go away. I must be going slightly insane myself. I thought maybe I should just get a Wii but having a Gamecube just sounds more intriguing.

So thanks for the list. I may actually follow thru with this. I really miss the Resident Evil remake that never got released on anything else.

Actually, there's a Wii remake of the Gamecube remake. Well, slightly better with 480p. http://www.giantbomb.com/resident-evil-archives-resident-evil/61-26086/
#46 Posted by Marcsman (3090 posts) -

@Hailinel said:

Fire Emblem by far.

#47 Posted by BoG (5180 posts) -

Ikaruga, though I don't know if you consider that multiplatform. You also forgot Resident Evil 0, which was an excellent game.

#48 Posted by Lenny (84 posts) -

@Hailinel said:

Damm right, I have played through this so many times. Genius stuff.

#49 Posted by MasturbatingestBear (1188 posts) -

Ikaruga.

Didn't they rerelease Resident Evil's 1-3 on the gamecube? I know they did 1 and 2. As said before Tales is great. Baten Kaitos is cool because it is completely different from your standard JRPG.

#50 Edited by AlexW00d (6167 posts) -

I wouldn't bother, all of the good games will cost a lot of money.

Goddamnit who tricked me in to posting advice in a necro-ed thread.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.