Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

GameCube

Platform »

The Nintendo GameCube is a sixth generation video game console released by Nintendo on September 15, 2001 in Japan, November 18, 2001 in North America, May 3, 2002 in Europe, and May 17, 2002 in Australia.

GameCube games, really this expensive?

SexyToad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By SexyToad

So my copy of Pikmin was sold a while back by my brother, who I hate. So I went online on amazon and looked it up. Turns out it cost 78.95! Wind waker is 149.99. Are they really that expensive or is it just because they don't make them anymore? Luigi's Mansion is 89.95 but I bought that one not too long ago at Gamestop for 15 dollars I believe.

awadnin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#2  Edited By awadnin

If you wanna play Pikmin you can buy the Wii version. I think it is a better version also it is cheaper.

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

#4  Edited By Justin258

That is insane.

FateOfNever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By FateOfNever

Yep, GC games are really that expensive. I don't know if it's just a quantity issue, if GC was just considered so unpopular that so few copies of games exist in the wild, if some games just didn't get very many discs printed due to low GC console numbers, or if there's something else going on, but, yeah. I think a GC copy of the Mega Man X Collection on GC goes for around 50-70$ still, while a PS2 copy goes for like 15-20$. It really sucks too because the GC has a fair number of good titles that I think were necessarily appreciated in their prime as they may be now. Nintendo would be doing good to add GC titles to a virtual console, perhaps on the Wii U. I think it would actually go a long way to making people want to buy a Wii U if they had a bunch of GC games for the virtual store there. Or maybe not, maybe I'm just crazy and wish I had more GC games.

Shady

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#6  Edited By Shady

I'm assuming you looked on Amazon for those prices. Vendors are known to price gouge on there. eBay ending auctions will give you a better idea of the going rate for Gamecube and other console games.

ImmortalSaiyan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#7  Edited By ImmortalSaiyan

the gamecube was a nifty little console. Look at that name. You know Nintendo meant business.

Zleunamme

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#8  Edited By Zleunamme

Amazon seems to jack up the price of older games. I saw Silent Hill for PS1 being sold $200 dollars and unopened copies for $170. $700 dollars for the PC Director's cut of Silent Hill 2. My favorite price listing is Final Fantasy VII for $200. If you can't find the games you are looking for at Gamestop. As an alternative, check out Half Price Bookstores, Goodwill or local flea markets. Those places sell used games.

stryker1121

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By stryker1121

@ImmortalSaiyan:GC didn't have loads of great games but it did have some truly classic titles -RE4, Metroid Prime, Pikmin, Resi 1 Remake, Prince of Persia SOT, Eternal Darkness- some of my personal faves of all time.

JasonR86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

User Lists: 5

#10  Edited By JasonR86

@GrantHeaslip said:

I'm sure you'd have better luck finding used copies at a local game store. That said, I'm looking forward to whenever Nintendo decides to start selling GC games digitally.

That's when the prices will fall dramatically. Sell you're gamecube games now!

Avatar image for sathingtonwaltz
    SathingtonWaltz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#11  Edited By SathingtonWaltz

Considering many of those games came out over six years ago, I was surprised to see that many first party used Gamecube games at Gamestop were still around thirty and forty dollars. I wanted to get some for old times sake but I went ahead and grabbed a shit load of PS2 games for the price of Twilight Princess. I have no idea why prices are so high.

ManMadeGod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 21

#12  Edited By ManMadeGod

Those must be prices for sealed copies. Buy them used.

Enigma777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Enigma777

BMW quve sucky sucky. Go playnps instead. Much better

Hizang

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

User Lists: 15

#14  Edited By Hizang

I remember finding Twin Snakes in a shop for about £10 where as online at that time it was like £130, I felt pretty good.

sungahymn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#15  Edited By sungahymn

I guess it's a good thing I own like 15 Gamecube games then.

Avatar image for taliciadragonsong
    TaliciaDragonsong

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Second hand via people is nonsense.
    Here in Holland we got countless NGC games ranging from 1 to 20 in the gamestore's second hand.
    Most expensive is Twilight Princess (pretty low output here) for 25 and Wind Waker for 20, but the rest is pretty normally priced (I think the games are still worth it).

_Zombie_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By _Zombie_

Dayum, gurl. Dat shit's cray.

gla55jAw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 31

#18  Edited By gla55jAw

Look for prices on eBay, not Amazon.

NegativeCero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By NegativeCero

Looks like I can be a dick and sell my GC copy of Twilight Princess for a markup. Never realized this happened to GC titles.

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 88

User Lists: 24

#20  Edited By Yummylee

@stryker1121 said:

@ImmortalSaiyan:GC didn't have loads of great games but it did have some truly classic titles -RE4, Metroid Prime, Pikmin, Resi 1 Remake, Prince of Persia SOT, Eternal Darkness- some of my personal faves of all time.

Indeed. What it lacked in quantity, it dealt in overall quality. Plus the controller was fab, as was the oddly calming main menu screen. Then there's the cutesy discs, the compact size of the console itself making it easy for carrying around... Man, I bloody loved the Gamecube.

Trilogy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#21  Edited By Trilogy

If I had to guess, it's because it's the only way to play those games. There aren't any virtual console versions of gamecube titles, right? Also, Nintendo's games seem to hold value in general. Maybe it's peoples nostalgia for games of their childhood that spikes prices. Whatever it is, I wouldn't pay those prices for games that are destined to be re released in some format or that I could just pick up used someplace else for much cheaper.

Rabid619

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Rabid619

Don't look on Amazon for used games. People set their own crazy prices in hopes that someone who doesn't know any better will stumble in and buy it. If you go look on eBay, Pikmin will cost you about $20, Luigi's Mansion about $25, and Wind Waker about $30.

Amazon isn't very sexy, toad. Ebay however... dem prices.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e49e9175da37
    deactivated-5e49e9175da37

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

Amazon prices are ridiculous. Use eBay.

I recommend Lukiegames. I've bought 500 dollars worth of stuff from them in the last couple months. Cheap shipping, good prices, and the games are labelled properly. ALSO, they put these to peel stickers on the BACK of the game instead of the front! Leaves no film or muck, and it's on the back! You have no idea how important that is!

Although they did send me a copy of Barkley Shut Up And Jam! 2 rather than the original. I also got a complete version of Phantasy Star 3 when I'm pretty sure I just payed for the cartridge. So you might get lucky.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.