Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

GameCube

Platform »

The Nintendo GameCube is a sixth generation video game console released by Nintendo on September 15, 2001 in Japan, November 18, 2001 in North America, May 3, 2002 in Europe, and May 17, 2002 in Australia.

Late To The Party 1: Setting Up My GameCube

jukeboxjosh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Edited By jukeboxjosh

I'm at a weird position in my life. I've graduated high school and started college, I have a job, I don't have a place of my own, and I have very few responsibilities until I can find a roommate. I have a whole bunch of entrainment options, but few that are truly mine. For instance, I doubt that my family will willingly give up the Wii or the PlayStation 3 when I move out, but anything I purchase should be okay. So, I've set off to find things in my room that I own or am willing to buy. I happened upon my GameCube.

This was the first system I bought with my own money, but at that point I didn't have money to put towards going on a limb with other purchases unless I knew it was going to be good. For instance, I have Super Smash Bros. Melee sitting next to the GameCube. I knew it was going to be awesome because I loved the original and I would look at those pictures on the Nintendo site pretty much every day and just drool over the idea of playing it. I'm fairly certain I had friends around that time just so I could play their GameCubes and imagine what it would be like to own the game for myself. On the other hand, I never did that with Animal Crossing, so I have no idea if it's something I'd have any interest in. Now that I have more money to play with, I want to experiment and expand my "collection."

I started my quest on Reddit. /r/gamingsuggestions is a pretty neat place that is exactly what it says on the tin. So I asked for their help, and got some great responses. Now I can start putting together a list of games!

Then I started thinking. What if other people are late to the party like I am? I mean, it's not out of the ordinary to buy used games for the previous system, especially since the games are more expensive than the GameCube itself in some places. How are they going to find out what games to get outside of going "Well, Nintendo first party games are normally pretty good?" Why don't I help them?

With the help of Reddit and anyone who is interested in my GameCube journey, I'm going to be buying GameCube games and telling you all about them here. I don't want to call it a review because I'm no professional. I'm just some 18 year old kid trying to beef up my game library so that when I move out I won't have a lack of good, quality games to play. I don't know how regular of a thing this will be, or if I'll be able to get all these games, but if I can turn that into something helpful for someone else, I'll feel pretty good about it.

Without much else to explain, here is a list of games I'm going to be writing about!

GameDo I Own It Yet?Have I Reviewed It Yet?
    F-Zero GXYes!No.
    Resident Evil 4No.No.
    Metroid PrimeNo.No.
    Metal Gear Solid: The Twin SnakesNo.No.
    Super Mario SunshineNo.No.
    Paper Mario: The Thousand-Year DoorNo.No.
    Skies of Arcadia: LegendsNo.No.
    Tales of SymphoniaNo.No.
    Baiten KaitosNo.No.
    Eternal Darkness: Sanity's RequiemNo.No.
    Star Wars Rogue Squadron II: Rogue LeaderNo.No.
    Killer 7No.No.
    Mario Golf: Toadstool TourYes!No.
    Super Smash Bros. MeleeYes!No.
    Super Monkey BallYes!No.
    Mario Party 7Yes!No.
    Fire Emblem: Path of RadianceNo.No.
    The Legend Of Zelda: WindwakerNo.No.
    Resident EvilNo.No.
    Mario Kart: Double Dash!!No.No.

If you think there are any games that should be added to this list, feel free to say so!

jukeboxjosh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By jukeboxjosh

I'm at a weird position in my life. I've graduated high school and started college, I have a job, I don't have a place of my own, and I have very few responsibilities until I can find a roommate. I have a whole bunch of entrainment options, but few that are truly mine. For instance, I doubt that my family will willingly give up the Wii or the PlayStation 3 when I move out, but anything I purchase should be okay. So, I've set off to find things in my room that I own or am willing to buy. I happened upon my GameCube.

This was the first system I bought with my own money, but at that point I didn't have money to put towards going on a limb with other purchases unless I knew it was going to be good. For instance, I have Super Smash Bros. Melee sitting next to the GameCube. I knew it was going to be awesome because I loved the original and I would look at those pictures on the Nintendo site pretty much every day and just drool over the idea of playing it. I'm fairly certain I had friends around that time just so I could play their GameCubes and imagine what it would be like to own the game for myself. On the other hand, I never did that with Animal Crossing, so I have no idea if it's something I'd have any interest in. Now that I have more money to play with, I want to experiment and expand my "collection."

I started my quest on Reddit. /r/gamingsuggestions is a pretty neat place that is exactly what it says on the tin. So I asked for their help, and got some great responses. Now I can start putting together a list of games!

Then I started thinking. What if other people are late to the party like I am? I mean, it's not out of the ordinary to buy used games for the previous system, especially since the games are more expensive than the GameCube itself in some places. How are they going to find out what games to get outside of going "Well, Nintendo first party games are normally pretty good?" Why don't I help them?

With the help of Reddit and anyone who is interested in my GameCube journey, I'm going to be buying GameCube games and telling you all about them here. I don't want to call it a review because I'm no professional. I'm just some 18 year old kid trying to beef up my game library so that when I move out I won't have a lack of good, quality games to play. I don't know how regular of a thing this will be, or if I'll be able to get all these games, but if I can turn that into something helpful for someone else, I'll feel pretty good about it.

Without much else to explain, here is a list of games I'm going to be writing about!

GameDo I Own It Yet?Have I Reviewed It Yet?
    F-Zero GXYes!No.
    Resident Evil 4No.No.
    Metroid PrimeNo.No.
    Metal Gear Solid: The Twin SnakesNo.No.
    Super Mario SunshineNo.No.
    Paper Mario: The Thousand-Year DoorNo.No.
    Skies of Arcadia: LegendsNo.No.
    Tales of SymphoniaNo.No.
    Baiten KaitosNo.No.
    Eternal Darkness: Sanity's RequiemNo.No.
    Star Wars Rogue Squadron II: Rogue LeaderNo.No.
    Killer 7No.No.
    Mario Golf: Toadstool TourYes!No.
    Super Smash Bros. MeleeYes!No.
    Super Monkey BallYes!No.
    Mario Party 7Yes!No.
    Fire Emblem: Path of RadianceNo.No.
    The Legend Of Zelda: WindwakerNo.No.
    Resident EvilNo.No.
    Mario Kart: Double Dash!!No.No.

If you think there are any games that should be added to this list, feel free to say so!

Wesker411

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#2  Edited By Wesker411

Some killer games on that list, you should have some fun. My recommendation is get that Eternal Darkness ASAP followed by RE4!

jaycrockett

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

User Lists: 5

#3  Edited By jaycrockett

SSX 3 (Or Tricky)

Wind Waker

X-men legends

Marcsman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Marcsman

Get Fire Emblem if you can. Great game

ArbitraryWater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 66

#5  Edited By ArbitraryWater

@Marcsman said:

Get Fire Emblem if you can. Great game

Yep. This one. Not the easiest one to find, but it's one of the best games for the system.

Also the remake of Resident Evil. Maybe Resident Evil Zero as well, depending on your tolerance levels for the kind of gameplay that the series presents.

evanbower

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 9

#6  Edited By evanbower

Some recommendations: Geist, P.N.03, Viewtiful Joe, Cubivore, and if you haven't played it somewhere else, Beyond Good & Evil.

jukeboxjosh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By jukeboxjosh

Just to be transparent, my rule with regards to reddit was if the suggestion got more than one upvote, I added it. It's a tiny subreddit, and the highest rated comment had 5 points in that thread, so I figured that was a good number. I'm kind of applying the same thing here, so Fire Emblem is going on the list.

In case you were wondering, I have silly systems of organization like this for most things.

psylah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#8  Edited By psylah

Don't buy P.N.03 until I get a chance to buy a copy first.

jukeboxjosh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By jukeboxjosh

@psylah: Haha, alright, I can do that.

Does anyone recommend the GameCube Pokémon games? One person suggested Colosseum and XD on Reddit, what about you guys? I've played Pokémon Channel at one point, and it was okay but nothing to get too excited about.

Genkkaku

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#10  Edited By Genkkaku

Defiantly check out the Resident Evil Remake.. especially if you have never played the original

laserbolts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#11  Edited By laserbolts

I absolutely loved Mario kart double dash but if you're just playing alone then maybe it's not the best choice.

jukeboxjosh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By jukeboxjosh

@Genkkaku: So we have another for Resident Evil. Those are going to be fun because I scare easily. I'll be playing those in the middle of the day, on a weekend, with my family in the house.

@laserbolts: I want to go forward with the GameCube because of the four-player aspect, so those are good recommendations.

Avatar image for living4theday258
    living4theday258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#13  Edited By living4theday258

@JukeBoxJosh: you need to get metroid prime ASAP

Ben_H

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

#14  Edited By Ben_H

Yeah F-Zero GX is a sick game, it can be pretty hard at times though. Also, if you get Animal Crossing prepare for an incredibly abusive relationship. Tom Nook will leave you bruised and battered constantly. And you'll have to have 911 on speed dial for Mr. Resetti. That guy has multiple harassment charges pending against him from me alone. 

Paper Mario 2 is an amazing game, as is Rogue Leader, and Tales of Symphonia. Basically every game on your list is a must-buy. 

Also check out both Viewtiful Joes. Those are crazy fun. 

ALSO PIKMIN BOTH PIKMINS GET THEM NOW NO QUESTIONS JUST GO BUY THEM

ArbitraryWater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 66

#15  Edited By ArbitraryWater

@JukeBoxJosh said:

Does anyone recommend the GameCube Pokémon games? One person suggested Colosseum and XD on Reddit, what about you guys? I've played Pokémon Channel at one point, and it was okay but nothing to get too excited about.

I played Colosseum, and it's alright. As a more constrained pokemon game, it has the benefit of actually having something resembling a narrative (at least, before Black and White bothered to actually have a narrative). But it's also exactly that: a more constrained pokemon game. I imagine XD is the same way, though that has the benefit of a more unintentionally hilarious title.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.