My Favourite Gamecube Games

Posted by turbomonkey138 (4950 posts) -

That's right i am quite the Gamecube fan . Oh i miss he days of the last generation of consoles . Good games . Great multilayer and no fucking online services . I have had way more fun with these games then most of the games on my PC or Xbox 360 .
I remember when me and my buddies would sit down and play some split screen action on time splitters on normal definition TV's and we had a great time . Unlike today Where everything is online and in HD etc blah blah

Well anyway these are my favourite games for the console . I have others ofc like Zelda and Metroid . But some of these are Rare and Hard to Find copies of thems these days .

#1 Posted by turbomonkey138 (4950 posts) -

That's right i am quite the Gamecube fan . Oh i miss he days of the last generation of consoles . Good games . Great multilayer and no fucking online services . I have had way more fun with these games then most of the games on my PC or Xbox 360 .
I remember when me and my buddies would sit down and play some split screen action on time splitters on normal definition TV's and we had a great time . Unlike today Where everything is online and in HD etc blah blah

Well anyway these are my favourite games for the console . I have others ofc like Zelda and Metroid . But some of these are Rare and Hard to Find copies of thems these days .

#2 Posted by Bruce (5264 posts) -

I remember carrying that thing around like a fucking Lunch box. Can't say I remember what I even played on it.

#3 Posted by turbomonkey138 (4950 posts) -
@Bruce said:
" I remember carrying that thing around like a fucking Lunch box. Can't say I remember what I even played on it. "
Best multilayer console on the market at the time . Mario cart smash bros etc
#4 Posted by EvilTwin (3324 posts) -

+1 for Skies of Arcadia.

#5 Posted by TheFreshmaker (132 posts) -

When it comes to multiplayer I must agree with you.  I had much more fun playing all kinds of splitscreen gamecube than I have ever had with current gen online multiplayer.

#6 Posted by c1337us (5751 posts) -

That picture makes me sad. I had an opportunity to pick up Tales of Symphonia once but didnt. Same as Baten Kaitos from the same place (though that doesnt haunt me as much).

I didnt have many Gamecube games because I bought it right at the end of the consoles life cycle not many of the store that trade in used games carry Gamecube stock. But my favorite is definately Eternal Darkness for quality followed by Harvest Moon for pure addicitveness.

#7 Posted by TheGreatGuero (9130 posts) -

The Gamecube was a heck of a lot better than the Wii, that's for sure. Of those, the only one I've played and can agree with is F-Zero GX. It's easily the best in the series and a superb game in its own right.

#8 Posted by TheMustacheHero (6654 posts) -

MY favorite Gamecube game was probably Phantasy Star Online, used to play the Forest zone for hours with my brother...good times...

#9 Posted by Dynamitekyle (523 posts) -

Paper Mario is missing.

#10 Posted by turbomonkey138 (4950 posts) -
@TheMustacheHero said:
" MY favorite Gamecube game was probably Phantasy Star Online, used to play the Forest zone for hours with my brother...good times... "
Dont get me started on that game 400 plus game hours :P
#11 Posted by turbomonkey138 (4950 posts) -
@Dynamitekyle said:
" Paper Mario is missing. "
Its in the shelf but it dosn't come on my top list
#12 Posted by zityz (2360 posts) -

I have tales of symphonia and skies of arcadia myself. but a buddy is borrowing them, probabaly will never see them again lol. I dunno what megaman that is but I loved the X collection the original collection and network transmission.

#13 Posted by Suicrat (3762 posts) -
@turbomonkey138:
No love for Mario Golf, Metroid Prime 2, Pikmin 2, Viewtiful Joe, or Baten Kaitos Origins?

Good on ya for having F-Zero GX in there though. I almost didn't get through High School because of that game :p
#14 Posted by Suicrat (3762 posts) -

Whoa, whoa whoa. I can see how you could prefer Metroid Prime 1 over Echoes (though I wouldn't agree), but how could you possibly try and tell me that Corruption or even Hunters is better than Echoes? Did you get to the Quadraxis fight? The bosses are SO GOOD in Echoes!

As for BK, Origins has a way better combat system than Eternal Wings and the Lost Ocean (still card based, but faster-paced, and overall more fun), and the voice acting is slightly less terrible. However, I don't know if it was localized by a different team in Europe.

#15 Posted by AgentJ (8778 posts) -
Here's my list. you should turn this blog into a Giantbomb list because I love looking at them! Yeah, the gamecube was horribly underrated, and had so many quality games its almost depressing that it sold so poorly. I probably play GCN games that i never got to as often as i play wii games (on my wii)
#16 Posted by Suicrat (3762 posts) -

See, we came to Hunters and Echoes from completely different places. I bought a DS when I bought Echoes (because they came out within a couple weeks of eachother, and I loved the new suits, the bosses, and the visual style they employed), which means I was waiting close to 2 years for Hunters, and I was sorely disappointed.) And, as I mentioned, the game's kind of worthless now since the single player's short and crappy, and there's no one playing the multiplayer. Meanwhile, I can go back and play Echoes any time I want, and attempt sequence breaking and the advanced techniques.

#17 Posted by turbomonkey138 (4950 posts) -

The Gamecube is the most underrated console made . Apart from the Dreamcast

#18 Edited by ahoodedfigure (4237 posts) -

I miss my Cube.  It sorta died on me.  I'd say Animal Crossing probably got the most play out of all of my games, but I liked Skies of Arcadia, Wind Waker, Phantasy Star Online Plus or whatever it was called, Mystic Heroes co-op, Eternal Darkness, Beyond Good and Evil, Pikmin (frustrating at times, stupid little guys), Metroid Prime (probably my single favorite of all of these) and maybe some others I can't remember.  Super Mario Sunshine was fun, but also one of the most frustrating games I've played.  Mario, I hate you. 

I also used it as a Game Boy platform with that one attachment, so any of my Game Boy game list I used on it, too.

#19 Posted by lemon360 (1102 posts) -

gamecube. i hated you.

#20 Posted by turbomonkey138 (4950 posts) -
@lemon360: Why ?
#21 Posted by TheFreeMan (2712 posts) -

I loved my Gamecube. It was a sturdy little machine, and it had a ton of great games on it. I still play it today, every now and then. You've got a good set of favourites up there, man.

#22 Posted by mtelford (4 posts) -

That would be a great list if it had included Eternal Darkness

#23 Posted by C2C (831 posts) -

F*** Yeah! F-Zero GX!

#24 Posted by turbomonkey138 (4950 posts) -

Any of you guys play gotcha force ?

#25 Edited by jakob187 (21503 posts) -

I quite enjoyed the Gamecube.  I played my PS2 far more, but that's probably because it has Champions of Norrath and Baldur's Gate II: Dark Alliance on it.  My brother and I are mad hack 'n' slash addicts.  It's half the reason I have been holding off on picking up Sacred 2.

I enjoyed the Hell out of Mario Kart Double Dash, Viewtiful Joe, Ikaruga, Tales of Symphonia, Resident Evil 4, Eternal Darkness...so many damn games.
#26 Posted by PowerSerj (987 posts) -

I never owned a Gamecube but I spent hell of time playing it at my friend's place. I would go there every day after school and the four of us (aforementioned friend, his brother, his brother's friend and I) would sit there for hours playing MK: DD, SSBM, Simpsons: Hit and Run, F Zero: GX, TimeSplitters 2/FP, NHL Hitz 20-03, and the list goes on. Such fond memories for a console I never even owned. I've always thought about picking one up and experiencing some of the staples I never got to experience, many of them previously mentioned in this thread.

#27 Posted by ArbitraryWater (11001 posts) -

There are certainly a lot of good games for the Gamecube that I own (although most of them have "Resident Evil" in the title), but I did make the mistake of selling some of my favorite ones, including Paper Mario TTYD (which I regret but am too lazy to buy another copy). Smash Bros Melee was awesome because I was like 10 and it had the best graphics I had ever seen, and Luigi's Mansion actually isn't that bad of a game. Short certainly, but not bad.

In fact, the only major title for the GC that I haven't owned at any point is probably Eternal Darkness. I see it every time I go to a local used games/cds/dvds shop, and I consider buying it, but I don't.

Don't worry, I will after I secure the funds to buy a PS2, Persona 4, two Xbox points cards and whatever other crap I think of buying.

#28 Posted by turbomonkey138 (4950 posts) -

Eternal Darkness is really scary

#29 Posted by DavidSnakes (678 posts) -
@TheGreatGuero said:
" The Gamecube was a heck of a lot better than the Wii, that's for sure. Of those, the only one I've played and can agree with is F-Zero GX. It's easily the best in the series and a superb game in its own right. "
Hell yes!  F-Zero GX rocks, best arcade racer ever (narrowly beating Burnout 3).  Too bad Nintendo had to go and make the Wii, thus denying me HD gorgeous F-Zero GY or whatever they call it.  A "Wii-ified" F-Zero would only make me sad.
#30 Posted by TheGreatGuero (9130 posts) -
@DavidSnakes: An F-Zero with tilt support on the Wii seems inevitable to me. Such a shame.
Man, GX really was something else, though. It was a very challenging game, too. Especially the story missions. Those things were beastly but I still had a great time trying to beat them. I also loved the vehicle customization and how you could unlock rare parts and all that. Then they had the whole connectivity thing with the arcade version. It was all awesome. I loved it.
#31 Posted by JJOR64 (18782 posts) -

I played my Gamecube a shit ton.  I fucking loved it.

#32 Posted by buzz_clik (6837 posts) -
@Dynamitekyle said:
" Paper Mario is missing. "
Oh dear, they released another Mario is Missing game? ;)

I've never owned anything rare for this console, but Wind Waker, F-Zero GX and Paper Mario are all essential titles.
#33 Posted by Bwast (1334 posts) -

I remember playing 4 player co-op Tales of Symphonia at my buddy's house. Every Friday we'd order burgers, onion rings, and get 2 cases of Pepsi. Go time. I played the little girl with the axe. Presea or something? Bad-freakin-ass.

#34 Posted by Godwind (2597 posts) -

How is Gotcha Force?  I never played it before but have always been curious.

#35 Posted by AgentofChaos (1565 posts) -

Loved my GameCube. Did anyone like Viewtiful Joe?

#36 Posted by turbomonkey138 (4950 posts) -

I really should update this with some of the other titles i managed to get since then

#37 Posted by Metric_Outlaw (1169 posts) -

Oh man me and my friends played the crap out of Time Splitters 2. I miss that game.

#38 Posted by agentboolen (1729 posts) -

Resident Evil 4, I also had fun with Mario Sunshine but found the bonus stages to hard to be fun, went through hell to beat it because of them. And I also enjoyed Luigi's Mansion, even if most reviews weren't that impressed with it. F-zero was good but I found it to be SNES F-zero hard, I found the N64 F-zero to be much easier.

#39 Posted by Metric_Outlaw (1169 posts) -

I remember my Gamecube's motor died. Did anyone have this problem too?

#40 Posted by DanielJW (4915 posts) -

I never owned a Gamecube, but I really enjoyed playing Mario Strikers with my friends.

#41 Posted by Bucketdeth (7981 posts) -

Is that the UK release of Timesplitters 2? thats one of my favorite games of all time and that case makes it even more awesome.

#42 Posted by Gamer_152 (13970 posts) -

The Gamecube was a great console and Mario Kart: Double Dash and Super Smash Bros. Melee did make for some awesome multiplayer.

#43 Posted by turbomonkey138 (4950 posts) -
@Bucketdeth said:
" Is that the UK release of Timesplitters 2? thats one of my favorite games of all time and that case makes it even more awesome. "
Yea it is . Cube magazine 10/10 . Too bad its the magazine is bust . good times
#44 Posted by Emandudeguyperson (2502 posts) -

You know Giantbomb has a list function right?

#45 Posted by turbomonkey138 (4950 posts) -
@Emandudeguyperson said:
" You know Giantbomb has a list function right? "
Yes i didn't want to use it :)
#46 Posted by Brunchies (2484 posts) -

I to remember the time when I had a gamecube, I had some good times with it. 

#47 Posted by AgentJ (8778 posts) -

Just finished Baten Kaitos the other day. I was pleasantly surprised, though the cut scenes were SOOO long. It wasn't the most technically impressive game on the console, but it may have been the most beautiful.

#48 Posted by Sparky_Buzzsaw (5794 posts) -

Timesplitters was 78 kinds of awesome.  Trust me, I counted.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.