Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Games for Windows - Live

Concept »

Microsoft's PC branch of its Live service. Lends the same functionality as Xbox Live Gold to Games For Windows games including cross-platform compatibility for achievements, friends & messages, downloadable content, and in some cases, multiplayer.

Can't Access DLC after Redeeming. Advice?

beforet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

So I've been playing Fable 3, which I bought with a bunch of DLC off of Steam. I only recently just started playing, and I've been trying to get at that DLC. The problem is I can't. I redeemed the codes online, but then I couldn't launch the games for windows live client doohicky. I fixed that with a reinstall, but now none of my dlc is there and I can't re-redeem those codes.

It's my understanding that the GFWL PC Marketplace doesn't strictly exist anymore, but that can't extend to paid for DLC, right? Anyone with experience wrangling with this stuff?

Long story short, how do I get to the DLC that I have redeemed for GFWL?

Nekroskop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

Steam has great support 24/7. Get a ticket.

beforet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm just afraid Steam won't be much help, since it seems like a GFWL issue. But I'll give it a try at least.

Nekroskop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@beforet: You could always ask for a refund. Selling a broken product on steam is more than enough to warrant that.

alanm26v5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#5  Edited By alanm26v5

I know that unlike most Steam games, you have to manually download GFWL DLC before it shows up ingame. See if you can get to a list of your purchased/owned content somewhere within the GFWL client and look for a download option. If not, try the Fable 3 steam forum for suggestions.

beforet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@alanm26v5 said:

I know that unlike most Steam games, you have to manually download GFWL DLC before it shows up ingame. See if you can get to a list of your purchased/owned content somewhere within the GFWL client and look for a download option. If not, try the Fable 3 steam forum for suggestions.

All I can find related to purchases is my downloads list, and only the free dlc you can get ingame are in there. I know that you need to download stuff through their client manually, it just aint there.

I made a post on Microsoft's support forum; that's as close to the source as I can get with this I figure.

beforet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Welp, I found the issue:

No Caption Provided

It activated as 360 DLC instead of PC DLC. And according to a thread I found on Steam, it's because I redeemed on their website. That sure does suck. Well, there's not much more I can do other than posting on their support forum. Thanks for listening to me bitch, duders.

crusader8463

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 5

#8  Edited By crusader8463

Isn't GFWL the bestest? I thought it was supposed to have been shut down and phased out by now though? I remember a few months back hearing that games were porting over to steam so people didn't have to use gfwl anymore.

musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 17

#9  Edited By musubi

Wait...why wouldn't their be separate codes for either platform that makes zero sense.

beforet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By beforet

@crusader8463 said:

Isn't GFWL the bestest? I thought it was supposed to have been shut down and phased out by now though? I remember a few months back hearing that games were porting over to steam so people didn't have to use gfwl anymore.

It is shut down, mostly. You can't buy anything off the marketplace, since it doesn't exist. Hell, I just learned that you can't buy Fable 3 off steam anymore. You can only buy it retail if you want it on PC. Most games have also dropped the in game stuff, but Fable 3 is practically first party so it doesn't surprise me that it's still present there.

@demoskinos said:

Wait...why wouldn't their be separate codes for either platform that makes zero sense.

Yeah, yeah. Apparently the issue is that I redeemed it on their website. Had I redeemed it through the interface in-game, it would have worked fine. Problem was, I couldn't because their client was broken, and I only figured out how to fix that AFTER I redeemed my codes through the website. There's a thread on Steam where a whole bunch of people are having this exact problem, and it's been going on for a while now it seems.

Thread in question, for anyone curious:
    http://steamcommunity.com/app/105400/discussions/0/648812917045340330/

musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 17

#11  Edited By musubi

@beforet: Thats pretty gross that they wouldn't even inform you of those instructions. So you could have hung on to the codes until later.

beforet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By beforet

Okay, so after some waiting around, I think some of the problem may have solved itself out. The DLC items showed up in game, so I guess I can assume the quests are in there somewhere as well. Still frustrating how long it took to resolve this stuff, and how my DLC still doesn't show up in my downloads in case I need them again later. In any case, I think I can call this resolved. Thanks everyone for suggesting I go to steam, since that's where I found out that at least my case wasn't weird.

crusader8463

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 5

@beforet: Wish you the best of luck and sorry you had to go through that crap just to play your game. Sadly it's not a limited experience you had as every game released on it always seem to have some nightmare of troubleshooting that people had to do to get to play their games and is why it's universally despised.

Anyway, I hope the game was worth it and that you get to have some fun now that you can play it.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.