Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Games for Windows - Live

Concept »

Microsoft's PC branch of its Live service. Lends the same functionality as Xbox Live Gold to Games For Windows games including cross-platform compatibility for achievements, friends & messages, downloadable content, and in some cases, multiplayer.

Digital Game Distribution Coming To Games For Windows Live

• 82 results
    jim_dandy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#51  Edited By jim_dandy

GFWL or a hot stick in my eye?

dekoboko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#52  Edited By dekoboko

Sorry, gfwl I have very little faith in you. I wish you the best of luck but, frankly I'm pulling for  Steam. 

StingingVelvet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#53  Edited By StingingVelvet

What's that MS?  You don't want me to play your newer games on PC, you don't offer a very PC friendly interface, you hide my save files and charge me for DLC in ridiculous points and you are 5+ years late to the party, but you want ME to choose YOU over Steam? 

Fuck off.  Seriously.
    RedFive

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#54  Edited By RedFive

Another avenue for digital distribution is great. Competition, woo hoo! Also, ACHIEVEMENTS

Sinkwater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#55  Edited By Sinkwater
    @Tampolini said:
    " Seems like a relatively low risk gamble for Microsoft. Aside from a bit of bandwidth I don't suppose this attempt to dabble in the digital download market will cost them anything. You have to wonder why they've not tried it sooner though??? "
    They still have to pay people to do the work.  Those are wages that could be spent elsewhere.
    Kohe321

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#56  Edited By Kohe321

Steam is addicting, thats true.

LiquidS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#57  Edited By LiquidS

Competition is good for us as Steam no doublt will start doing an even better job to keep us spending money with them. 
    Also Microsoft not just buying out steam, then destroying it is also a big plus.

Trnck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#58  Edited By Trnck
    @dbz1995 said:
    " Steam is better because:  A) I have an account on it B) Steam is a better name C) GWFL IS FOR N00BZ D) Steam has awesome adverts flashing across your screen E) RIIIIIDGE RAACER "
    yep, GWFL IZ FER N00bZ, how about GFWL then?
    Claude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 18

#59  Edited By Claude

Hey, good luck with that. Watch what your competitor does and then do it better.

niall077

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#60  Edited By niall077

why I use steam is because Half Life 2 was on there. 

Will MS be releaeing any PC games that will make my give a damn about this servise because I think every game they announced for this is already on steam. 
    Buccura

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#61  Edited By Buccura

Seriously, a lot of GFWs titles are on Steam already so, why bother. Unless you can't get LIVE Achievements in the steam versions of GFWL games. Can you?

sjschmidt93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 37

User Lists: 20

#62  Edited By sjschmidt93

Steam >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>....................>>>>>>.....>>>>.......... GFWL 

But really, GFWL doesn't have a shot. You can't do something like this and expect it to work. You're going up against a well established competitor that has millions of users, a thousand+ games and about 6 or 7 years under it's belt. It's just not doable.  

It'd be like the PS4 coming out in 2010 and then the 720 decides to hit in 2016 (with roughly the same technical specs as the PS4), it wouldn't do anything.

YuheJi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#63  Edited By YuheJi
    @Buccura: Yes, you can get Achievement Points off of GFWL games bought on Steam.  Dawn of War II requires Steam, and gives me points.
    BrittonPeele

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 7

#64  Edited By BrittonPeele

I admit it: This makes me glad I didn't buy Osmos when it was on sale on Steam last week. GFWL Achievements > Steam Achievements, even if Steam is a better PC service. Gotta add to that Gamerscore!

Avatar image for suicidal_sniper
    Suicidal_SNiper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#65  Edited By Suicidal_SNiper
    @Alphazero said:
    " Those Microsoft guys... they're gonna make it big one of these days. "
    Lol, that one gave me a good laugh. 

Good day sir!
    UnrulyRuffian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#66  Edited By UnrulyRuffian
    @Sinkwater said:
    " @Tampolini said:
    " Seems like a relatively low risk gamble for Microsoft. Aside from a bit of bandwidth I don't suppose this attempt to dabble in the digital download market will cost them anything. You have to wonder why they've not tried it sooner though??? "
    They still have to pay people to do the work.  Those are wages that could be spent elsewhere. "

That's true - it's not like we're talking pocket change, but in the grand scheme of the Microsoft empire I imagine it's relatively little.
    Everlovin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#67  Edited By Everlovin

This service will fail.  As a primarily PC gamer I can tell you that the GFWL brand is like nails over a chalkboard for anyone that's been following the charade for the last couple years.   GFWL  promised to bring PC gaming back as a serious platform bla bla bla and Microsoft dumped it (and us) like yesterday's garbade.  Microsoft finally wants to woo the PC gamers now?  Pfft.  Thanks a ton for remembering us when Fable and Halo 3 came out... oh wait.  You want to buy PC games from a company that doesn't even release its own games on PC AND develops the platform OS?  No thanks, its steam for me.

HitmanAgent47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#68  Edited By HitmanAgent47

I hate games for windows live, now they want to sell games? Lol, not buying it unless it's in stores or on steam.

Avatar image for deactivated-64b8656eaf424
    deactivated-64b8656eaf424

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Steam achievements don't add to your gamerscore, easy decision.

Will_Lucky

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#70  Edited By Will_Lucky

GTA: Lost and Damned achievements on PC just made a whole lot of sense ;).

Avatar image for wintersnowblind
    WinterSnowblind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#71  Edited By WinterSnowblind
    @Everlovin said:
    " This service will fail.  As a primarily PC gamer I can tell you that the GFWL brand is like nails over a chalkboard for anyone that's been following the charade for the last couple years.   GFWL  promised to bring PC gaming back as a serious platform bla bla bla and Microsoft dumped it (and us) like yesterday's garbade.  Microsoft finally wants to woo the PC gamers now?  Pfft.  Thanks a ton for remembering us when Fable and Halo 3 came out... oh wait.  You want to buy PC games from a company that doesn't even release its own games on PC AND develops the platform OS?  No thanks, its steam for me. "
    I can completely understand why they don't release their games on Windows anymore.

Although you now use this as a complaint, you're the same people who used it as a reason not buy an Xbox "all 360 games come to PC anyway" and then heavily pirated them, leading to poor PC sales and diminished 360 ones.  Personally, I think it's good that Microsoft are continuing to support GFWL, and I think it could turn into a really great system, if developed in the right way.  But it shouldn't do it at the cost of the 360.
    Vision

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#72  Edited By Vision

I have my friends on steam and so on i'll just stick to that for now. :)

NoXious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#73  Edited By NoXious

Too little, too late.

Steam has awesome deals, my money is worth more then my gamerscore which adds nothing to real-life accomplishments.
    Steam has a great community, my friends all use Steam in some way or shape and it's a great way to join in on games or talk to them while I'm playing a different game.
    Steam has served me well for over 6 years, GFWL hasn't even begun WORKING well - yet alone serving me well.

The only good thing about this, is that it adds a new competitor on the market. This means Steam might have to put out more, to stay on top of their game. We'll see though, time will tell.

Everlovin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#74  Edited By Everlovin
    @WinterSnowblind said:  
    "I can completely understand why they don't release their games on Windows anymore.  Although you now use this as a complaint, you're the same people who used it as a reason not buy an Xbox "all 360 games come to PC anyway" and then heavily pirated them, leading to poor PC sales and diminished 360 ones.  Personally, I think it's good that Microsoft are continuing to support GFWL, and I think it could turn into a really great system, if developed in the right way.  But it shouldn't do it at the cost of the 360. "

Hi, I buy all my PC games.  I don't but the piracy arguement.  You mean to tell me that the company that designs the OS my games run on, and is creating a service which requires a user to be online cant find a way to make piracy at least as hard as on the 360.  Minus the Used game market and game rentals...  Which im sure you convienently forget is not an issue with console games.  If a GFW service is 100% online, then there should be a way to make it a game require an online server side dependancy or checks.  You never hear people pirating WoW.  They can buddy this with a month or so lead for the 360 version to help fuel their console war .  Hell, I'd even go for being able to plug my mouse and keyboard or even my whole PC into a 360 and play through it.   Sorry, I dont buy your BS.
    cspiffo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#75  Edited By cspiffo

It's about time but it's also probably too little, too late.

nanikore

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#76  Edited By nanikore

GFWL ain't got shit on Steam.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e0e0ee2ea170
    deactivated-5e0e0ee2ea170

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 55

Give me... 

Halo 3 
    Gears 2 
    Fable 2 
    GTA 4 DLC 

Then I'll want to use it.

Curufinwe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#78  Edited By Curufinwe
    @YuheJi said:

" @Buccura: Yes, you can get Achievement Points off of GFWL games bought on Steam.  Dawn of War II requires Steam, and gives me points. "

I bought RE 5 off Steam, another GFWL game, and now I have 600-something MS nerd points from it.
    MrKlorox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#79  Edited By MrKlorox

I wondered how long it would take. So if I enter my GFWL key, I can download my game?

If so, ozcdkeys and cdkeysdirect will finally get more of my business.

Also from an achievement perspective, I'd take GFWL ones anyday.

KuribosShoe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#80  Edited By KuribosShoe
    @YuheJi:  but one assumes the games being offered on demand will have exclusive live achievements.  like World Of Goo, for example. 

but really, it's not like it has to be a one or the other thing, I already have GFWL because of GTA IV, and I have a lot of games on steam too.  I can go to steam for deals, and when the price is the same, I can opt for gamerscore, which I care much more about than boring old steam achievements.  But maybe that's because I'm primarily a console gamer.
    Winternet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#81  Edited By Winternet

It sure is devious

Jim_uk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#82  Edited By Jim_uk

Great until Microcock get fed up with it and turn off the DRM servers, it wouldn't be the first time. Anyone who buys off this needs their head examined.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.