Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Games for Windows - Live

Concept »

Microsoft's PC branch of its Live service. Lends the same functionality as Xbox Live Gold to Games For Windows games including cross-platform compatibility for achievements, friends & messages, downloadable content, and in some cases, multiplayer.

Maybe this is why so few PC games have GFW Live

raddevon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 11

#1  Edited By raddevon

I don't know. I started out as a big Games for Windows Live advocate. I intended for Elemental to be on Games for Windows Live, but then as we got closer, the Xbox group took it over more and more. And they have things where, oh, if you want to use Games for Windows Live to update your game, you have to go through [their] certification. And if you do it more than X number of times, you have to pay money. It's like, "My friends, you can't do that on the PC."

That's Brad Wardell, CEO of Stardock. They develop Sins of a Solar Empire and Demigod in addition to running Impulse, a fledgling Steam competitor.

I understand that, because of the huge audience, many developers are willing to jump through hoops for certification on the game consoles, but to force PC developers who may already forgo that audience for one reason or another to jump through those same hoops may be shooting the platform in the foot. That said, I can't really see why every game that is ported from the 360 doesn't have the GFW Live features built in since they are already certified. Perhaps they would have to suffer the certification process again with their PC port. Thoughts? Insight?
    Emilio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 6

#2  Edited By Emilio

That's why they should just put games on Steam ( or a similar serive that has friend's lists ). They can even add those shiny achievements if they want. 
     In fact, I prefer Steam achievements over Xbox achievements because the Steam ones have no numeric value. You're not competing with anyone to see who has the bigger achievement point dick, and that will at least keep me from playing shitty games just so I can boost my score.

Avatar image for deactivated-5f8ac39b52e76
    deactivated-5f8ac39b52e76

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 3

Well, Steam is their direct competition and Impulse is struggling, so that simply won't happen.

Jerusahat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#4  Edited By Jerusahat

It's not really surprising that the developer of Demigod is complaining that the GFWL certification standards are too high. That game was utterly busted at launch.

To quote 1up:

Getting a copy right now is a little like buying an impenetrable plexiglass box containing a unicorn made out of bacon. The contents look pretty and delicious, but after spending hours shaking the thing and hitting it with rocks, you'll be no closer to getting a bite.

Ubiquitous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#5  Edited By Ubiquitous
    @Jerusahat: 

Honestly, that is the single best quote I have heard to describe Demigod's launch. Or really anything for that matter. 

Bacon Unicorn!??!1!? 

I'm not the biggest fan of GFWL anyway.
    Lowbrow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#6  Edited By Lowbrow

I'm all for Xbox live - I love it, but I do wish someone who put a bullet in GFWL head.

The reason for this - if GFWL ever took off in a solid way, they would monetize it in a split second. And seriously, fuck that.

eroticfishcake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#7  Edited By eroticfishcake

Another small  reason why GTA IV was a pain to start.

Avatar image for deactivated-5f8ac39b52e76
    deactivated-5f8ac39b52e76

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

I don't own GTA IV (I won't support this shitty portjob), but from reading about it the "Rockstar Social Club" application seems to be worse by comparison, especially since you have to use both at the same time, which is positively idiotic.

raddevon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By raddevon
    @atomic_dumpling said: 

" Well, Steam is their direct competition and Impulse is struggling, so that simply won't happen. "

I don't think that's necessarily the case. There are games sold through Steam that also have GFW Live. Take a look at Dawn of War II. Steam is distribution system and a platform whereas GFWL is only a platform.
    raddevon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By raddevon
    @Lowbrow said:
    " I'm all for Xbox live - I love it, but I do wish someone who put a bullet in GFWL head.  The reason for this - if GFWL ever took off in a solid way, they would monetize it in a split second. And seriously, fuck that. "
    That is both scary and entirely plausible. I hadn't even considered it.
    fynne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#11  Edited By fynne

The thing that really annoys me about GFWL is the fact that I have to buy stuff with stupid MS Points instead of a credit card.  Let's say I don't have enough points.  I then have to goto XBoxLive, yank out my credit card and buy some points.  Then go back to GFWL and use those points.  It also never fails that I'll have points left over.  If I never spend them then I'm basically giving MS free money.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.