Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Gang Beasts

Game » consists of 6 releases. Released Aug 29, 2014

Two to eight players punch, kick, and throw each other to be the last one standing in this physics-based party fighter.

Gang Beasts should be the featured game on Pax Rumbles.

Devil240Z

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

Poll Gang Beasts should be the featured game on Pax Rumbles. (202 votes)

Yes 75%
    No 25%

Assuming the devs would/could add some kind of 30 player rumble mode, It should be the featured game.

It has controls that all competitors could easily get acquainted with by doing the short controls tutorial back stage. So no one can blame shitty antiquated controls when they lose.

Its a new game that is in active development so its more of a hip current thing that people actually might care about playing rather than some crusty old wrestling game that everyone seems to hate.

I think if the devs of Gang Beasts were willing to create a mode that would work for this kind of competition then this thing could actually become a more interesting more watchable event.

• 
    Jesus_Phish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

Absolutely this.

splodge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By splodge

Hmm I think it goes against the spirit of it to be honest. It is a wrestling thing. Gotta have an official title, or else how could the company...No, the world.... endorse the belt?

jimipeppr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#3  Edited By jimipeppr

Sure. The best part of the PAX RR is seeing all of the game industry folks camping it up. The game itself is not fun to watch as someone with little to no interest in wrestling.

Devil240Z

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Devil240Z

@jimipeppr said:

Sure. The best part of the PAX RR is seeing all of the game folks camping it up. The game itself is not fun to watch as someone with little to no interest in wrestling.

Exactly it, would be easier to watch the actual game part and it would be easier for the competitors as well as the commentators. It would eliminate unfair advantages. It would make the whole thing more legitimate.

49th

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

They should just play the most recent wrestling game and make custom characters for everyone.

Devil240Z

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Devil240Z

@49th said:

They should just play the most recent wrestling game and make custom characters for everyone.

Or that. but it seems like alot of work on the part of the organizers.

But again my issue is the controls. I don't know if people who don't normally play those games would be able to master the controls quickly enough. Anyone can figure out gang beasts in under 5 min.

DookieRope

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@49th: The most recent games don't really support the pass and play style multiplayer like the old games do. Not to mention the new games are way more complex. Think Madden 96 vs Madden 2015.

conmulligan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

I think that'd be really cool. The biggest problem with the Rumble is that the game itself is not that fun to watch. Plus, it's really hard to keep track of who is who, especially if you're like me and know nothing about Wrestling.

Devil240Z

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Devil240Z

@conmulligan said:

I think that'd be really cool. The biggest problem with the Rumble is that the game itself is not that fun to watch. Plus, it's really hard to keep track of who is who, especially if you're like me and know nothing about Wrestling.

All of this. The game while neat and retro, it is getting in the way of the actual event.

Avatar image for deactivated-64162a4f80e83
    deactivated-64162a4f80e83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

FAO people who voted yes:

You're wrong, because the best part of any rumble is the countdown noise and the entrance music. As a wrestling fan I think I know what I'm talking about when it comes to building an enthralling rumble.

Corevi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#11  Edited By Corevi

You're wrong, because the best part of any rumble is the countdown noise and the entrance music. As a wrestling fan I think I know what I'm talking about when it comes to building an enthralling rumble.

I agree with this. If Gang Beasts had entrance music and the countdown timer it would be pretty amazing though (especially if you could set the entrance music to be a specific audio file).

Devil240Z

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yeah but all of that enthralling stuff you're talking about is done outside of the game.

splodge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think we are forgetting that the results of this are probably predetermined. It is wrestling, after all ;) But hey, maybe people would find a different game more entertaining.

Corevi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Corevi
    @splodge said:

I think we are forgetting that the results of this are probably predetermined. It is wrestling, after all ;) But hey, maybe people would find a different game more entertaining.

If it is predetermined, Gang Beasts seems like a terrible choice due to the random nature of the physics.

jimipeppr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@corruptedevil: Or a great choice due to the superbly intuitive controls.

IcyEyes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@devil240z

"Its a new game that is in active development so its more of a hip current thing that people actually might care about playing rather than some crusty old wrestling game that everyone seems to hate."

You're missing the whole point. It's not about the game at all! It's all the crazy shcanigens they get into during the event that people care about. I also don't think Gang Beast captures the wrestling sprit that they're going for, at least not in its current build, but things could change I guess. They also played Gang Beast already at the Hunger Games event.

cornbredx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

No. The whole point would be lost.

They did play this during the Gamespot Hunger Games thing, apparently, but that hasn't been posted on the internet yet.

buzz_clik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#18  Edited By buzz_clik

Nah, it's a wrestling event so it needs to be a real wrestling game for authenticity. The crappier, the better.

RonGalaxy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#19  Edited By RonGalaxy

As some have already stated, the best part of the pax rumbles haven't been the actual game part, it's the real world shenanigans. Watching them play no mercy is actually kind of boring and it it weren't for the other stuff I wouldn't care for it. I would love for them to play gangbeasts, but I don't think it would feel right until it was an actual finished/released game.

pyromagnestir

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 23

#20  Edited By pyromagnestir
    Loading Video...

The N64 wrestling games actually have some basis in skill, Gang Beasts is fun but it's not a skill based game at all.

They have plenty of time to practice with the game it's not like it's some surprise each time.

MEATBALL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

Is Gang Beasts a wrestling game? It isn't? Then that's a big no.

cooljammer00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By cooljammer00

I mean, they apparently set up an 8 man Gang Beasts thing at PAX Prime this year. I don't see why they couldn't do the official "2 men start, new person every few seconds" thing. Make it completely broken to support up to 30 people at once, only ever allow that version to be played at PAX events, etc.

edit: Also, if they set the entire event to take place in that Ring stage.

IBurningStar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No, this is about wrestling. The center idea here is a parody of the WWE's royal rumble. The moment you remove this from a wrestling game is the moment the whole joke goes off the rails.

Avatar image for deactivated-5c4a6d7d37a3f
    deactivated-5c4a6d7d37a3f

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yes? It seems like a pretty good replacement if they wanted to get away from wrestlemania 2000.

Since we're talking about wrestling... Def Jam: Fight for New York? Maybe throw down some rap battle between the contestants? It doesn't suit the format exactly, they would need brackets and eliminations... but... you know... it's pretty awesome.

MEATBALL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#25  Edited By MEATBALL

Gang Beasts doesn't even have a royal rumble mode, which is an important part of the whole thing. Also, playing a wrestling game, particularly Wrestlemania 2000 is kind of a big part of the reason the thing exists. Part of the entertainment factor is seeing stuff happen like Dan getting Mideon or the appropriateness of Jeff winding up with Big Bossman.

If you start playing Gang Beasts or *insert indie multiplayer game X* it stops being the PAX Royal Rumble and just becomes random pax videogame challenge. You're co-opting a thing that was originally hugely about a love or nostalgia for professional wrestling to play something entirely unrelated and at that point it might as well have never existed in the first place.

I'm obviously taking it too seriously, and the show would still be fun. But my preference is for it to remain about actual wrestling games and I'd be bummed to see that replaced by Gang Beasts, even if the game is ridiculously fun to watch.

wlleiotl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This is the video game equivalent of two awesome foods combining to make a terrible mess. Some sort of gang beasts competition is a great idea, but it should be its own thing.

Oldirtybearon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

I think what I'm seeing in this thread is a lot of non-wrestling fans getting caught up in the shenanigans and general weirdness of pro-wrestling, but not actually caring about the wrestling part. And that's totally okay, but this is a wrestling thing. If you're on board for the dumb promos and the off-screen malarkey, that's totally cool, but this only really works because the game they're playing is a wrestling game. It's the rug that ties the room together, as it were.

By the way, the game they're playing is WrestleMania 2000 and not No Mercy.

ripelivejam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

only if they keep the blown out bassified music from the N64 games

RenegadeSaint

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

I agree. It's already the best "over-the-ropes" wrestling game and it's not even a wrestling game.

StarvingGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 25

Gang Beasts is an amazingly fun game to watch when it's fuckaround time, but they would have to add a lot to the game to capture the proper feel of a royal rumble. One of the things they would need to add would be proper wrestling moves. Which they will never add. So, no, definitely not.

chaser324

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#31 chaser324  Moderator

I mean, they apparently set up an 8 man Gang Beasts thing at PAX Prime this year. I don't see why they couldn't do the official "2 men start, new person every few seconds" thing. Make it completely broken to support up to 30 people at once, only ever allow that version to be played at PAX events, etc.

edit: Also, if they set the entire event to take place in that Ring stage.

I think there'd be some pretty significant challenges in supporting 30 controllers simultaneously.

fisk0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 75

#32 fisk0  Moderator

@yesiamaduck said:

I agree with this. If Gang Beasts had entrance music and the countdown timer it would be pretty amazing though (especially if you could set the entrance music to be a specific audio file).

It would need to have a countdown timer and probably some kind of entrance thing in order to work as a pass and play kind of thing. But if they added that, it would be a perfect fit.

Corevi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Corevi
    @fisk0 said:

@corruptedevil said:
    @yesiamaduck said:

It would need to have a countdown timer and probably some kind of entrance thing in order to work as a pass and play kind of thing. But if they added that, it would be a perfect fit.

It needs those things to work for the theatrical element of the Rumble.

Catarrhal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

A Gang Beasts rumble would be over in about six minutes, so that ain't gonna work.

jimipeppr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I just wanna see fake/hyperbolic game industry beef. The game is nearly irrelevant to my enjoyment, but it would be cool if it was something that is fun to watch.

Tirion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By Tirion

Since Jeff, Dan and Alex have taught me literally everything I know about wrestling I have a really hard time following who's playing who in the rumble and that would be easier sorting out that if they played Gang Beasts. And it would be more entertaining watching the game.

If they instead could queue up music for the persons playing instead and focus on their entrance onto the stage it would be more fun then watching N64 pixels running in. Just imagine Will Smith entering to Gettin' Jiggy Wit It or with a black suit and the Men in Black theme.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.