Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Garden Gnome

Object » linked to 37 games

A lawn ornament resembling a tiny man, typically with jovial expression, bushy beard, and pointy cap.

Gnome Chompski

Avatar image for charlesalanratliff
    CharlesAlanRatliff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 34

"Sup." 

There's something special about getting a game on launch day and playing through it with a bunch of affable strangers, all of who are trying to figure things out. It's not a situation I find myself in often, usually being "late to the party" and all, but it's always fun. Take Left 4 Dead 2, for example. Unlike the first game, I wasn't able to play with any of my friends, so the only way I was going to play co-op was with people I didn't know. A risky situation, sure, but better than playing alone.

Speaking of alone, I don't think I'm the only one who believes the Left 4 Dead games can be pretty damn difficult for a new player, even on the Normal difficulty setting. They become less challenging as you play through them multiple times, mastering the best ways to deal with the different special infected and crescendo events, but it can take hours to complete a campaign when a group of novices are thrown into the fray. Imagine, then, four strangers trying to complete the silly task of carrying a garden gnome through a campaign they've never experienced before, all for an achievement. Well, I did it mostly for the novelty of the situation, but points certainly don't hurt, and I would have doubted the commitment of the team otherwise.

I had just spent quite a while on the first campaign's final crescendo event, where players have to collect gas cans to fill up Jimmy Gibbs Junior's car to escape the mall. A couple of players had either quit or been kicked out due to their inability to follow the simplest of instructions, which consisted mainly of "stick together", but the eighth gas can had finally been collected, and it was time to move on to probably the most anticipated campaign for everyone in the game, Dark Carnival. Like with most games before I beat them, I had yet to look at the achievements for Left 4 Dead 2, so I was surprised when I came across Gnome Chompski at the beginning of the second chapter. One of the other players mentioned there was an achievement for carrying him through the campaign, and the general consensus was yeah, we have to do this.

We hit the button to start the shooting gallery, trying our best to reach the 750 points needed to unlock Gnome Chompski from his box on the wall, which took longer than it should have since we had yet to realize that shooting peanuts deducted points. We had to fight off small hordes of infected every so often, and one of the players grew impatient, but we ignored him and eventually achieved our goal. I took up the task of carrying Chompski, protecting him with my life and only putting him down in the most dire of situations. He was good at stunning enemies, at least. We reached the end of the chapter and all asked each other if an achievement unlocked, as we weren't sure if we had to carry the gnome through the entire campaign or just the chapter. It turns out it was the former. "Fine with me. This is fun!"

"You saved me." 

Having Mr. Chompski stare at me the whole time was kind of creepy, especially with the lighting in the Tunnel of Love reflecting off his face, but I loved him and protected him like my own. We grew close, him and I, and us and the rest of the survivors persevered until the crescendo event of chapter four, the part where you open the gates and have to push your way through the seemingly infinite horde of infected to reach the safe room. We were not prepared.

In the many times I have played and beaten Left 4 Dead 2, whether it's with friends or people I've never met, this bit in particular is one of the most difficult parts of the whole game. It's hard enough with a fully capable crew, but throw a gnome into the mix, disabling the carrier's ability to use a decent weapon and adding another thing to keep track of, and it can get pretty rough. And let's not forget this was our first time playing through the game.

It was like this, but with way more zombies. 

So we tried. And tried. And tried some more. It became a sunk cost scenario, where we had invested so much time into this little gnome that there was no way we were going to give up now. And then something horrible happened. The gates had opened, I was being swarmed by infected, and Gnomey was nowhere to be found. He vanished, our memories the only evidence of his existence. We had been at this for well over an hour, and I sat him down in a corner so I could assist the team better, and now he was gone. The others pushed forward, and one by one we fell, but that impatient player I mentioned earlier? He made it to the safe house. There were to be no do-overs or retries; we had to continue and finish the campaign. We eventually made it to the helicopter, but something about our victory felt a little empty. 

Sorry, little buddy. 
    Sorry, little buddy. 

It was two days later that I returned to the campaign by myself. I put it on Easy, determined to get that goddamn achievement and rescue Gnomey from his eternal imprisonment. I was successful. You may call my success hollow, but I've rescued Gnomey enough times since then with different people on harder difficulties that it doesn't really matter. The gnome always escapes. Always

Proof! 
    Proof! 

While I may never know what happened to Gnome Chompski on that fateful day, my theory is that a boomer exploded and sent him flying to an unreachable part of the level. It happened to me during one of my later attempts, at least.

So, what's next for my gnome-based achievement adventures? Why, placing Gnomey in that rocket in Half-Life 2: Episode Two, of course! He always said he wanted to fly...

Farewell, old friend. 
    Farewell, old friend. 
     --- 

------- 
    <------Motion-Controlled Molestation: A New Form of Griefing
    CharlesAlanRatliff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

"Sup." 

There's something special about getting a game on launch day and playing through it with a bunch of affable strangers, all of who are trying to figure things out. It's not a situation I find myself in often, usually being "late to the party" and all, but it's always fun. Take Left 4 Dead 2, for example. Unlike the first game, I wasn't able to play with any of my friends, so the only way I was going to play co-op was with people I didn't know. A risky situation, sure, but better than playing alone.

Speaking of alone, I don't think I'm the only one who believes the Left 4 Dead games can be pretty damn difficult for a new player, even on the Normal difficulty setting. They become less challenging as you play through them multiple times, mastering the best ways to deal with the different special infected and crescendo events, but it can take hours to complete a campaign when a group of novices are thrown into the fray. Imagine, then, four strangers trying to complete the silly task of carrying a garden gnome through a campaign they've never experienced before, all for an achievement. Well, I did it mostly for the novelty of the situation, but points certainly don't hurt, and I would have doubted the commitment of the team otherwise.

I had just spent quite a while on the first campaign's final crescendo event, where players have to collect gas cans to fill up Jimmy Gibbs Junior's car to escape the mall. A couple of players had either quit or been kicked out due to their inability to follow the simplest of instructions, which consisted mainly of "stick together", but the eighth gas can had finally been collected, and it was time to move on to probably the most anticipated campaign for everyone in the game, Dark Carnival. Like with most games before I beat them, I had yet to look at the achievements for Left 4 Dead 2, so I was surprised when I came across Gnome Chompski at the beginning of the second chapter. One of the other players mentioned there was an achievement for carrying him through the campaign, and the general consensus was yeah, we have to do this.

We hit the button to start the shooting gallery, trying our best to reach the 750 points needed to unlock Gnome Chompski from his box on the wall, which took longer than it should have since we had yet to realize that shooting peanuts deducted points. We had to fight off small hordes of infected every so often, and one of the players grew impatient, but we ignored him and eventually achieved our goal. I took up the task of carrying Chompski, protecting him with my life and only putting him down in the most dire of situations. He was good at stunning enemies, at least. We reached the end of the chapter and all asked each other if an achievement unlocked, as we weren't sure if we had to carry the gnome through the entire campaign or just the chapter. It turns out it was the former. "Fine with me. This is fun!"

"You saved me." 

Having Mr. Chompski stare at me the whole time was kind of creepy, especially with the lighting in the Tunnel of Love reflecting off his face, but I loved him and protected him like my own. We grew close, him and I, and us and the rest of the survivors persevered until the crescendo event of chapter four, the part where you open the gates and have to push your way through the seemingly infinite horde of infected to reach the safe room. We were not prepared.

In the many times I have played and beaten Left 4 Dead 2, whether it's with friends or people I've never met, this bit in particular is one of the most difficult parts of the whole game. It's hard enough with a fully capable crew, but throw a gnome into the mix, disabling the carrier's ability to use a decent weapon and adding another thing to keep track of, and it can get pretty rough. And let's not forget this was our first time playing through the game.

So we tried. And tried. And tried some more. It became a sunk cost scenario, where we had invested so much time into this little gnome that there was no way we were going to give up now. And then something horrible happened. The gates had opened, I was being swarmed by infected, and Gnomey was nowhere to be found. He vanished, our memories the only evidence of his existence. We had been at this for well over an hour, and I sat him down in a corner so I could assist the team better, and now he was gone. The others pushed forward, and one by one we fell, but that impatient player I mentioned earlier? He made it to the safe house. There were to be no do-overs or retries; we had to continue and finish the campaign. We eventually made it to the helicopter, but something about our victory felt a little empty. 

Sorry, little buddy. 
    Sorry, little buddy. 

It was two days later that I returned to the campaign by myself. I put it on Easy, determined to get that goddamn achievement and rescue Gnomey from his eternal imprisonment. I was successful. You may call my success hollow, but I've rescued Gnomey enough times since then with different people on harder difficulties that it doesn't really matter. The gnome always escapes. Always

Proof! 
    Proof! 

While I may never know what happened to Gnome Chompski on that fateful day, my theory is that a boomer exploded and sent him flying to an unreachable part of the level. It happened to me during one of my later attempts, at least.

So, what's next for my gnome-based achievement adventures? Why, placing Gnomey in that rocket in Half-Life 2: Episode Two, of course! He always said he wanted to fly...

Farewell, old friend. 
    Farewell, old friend. 
     --- 

------- 
    <------Motion-Controlled Molestation: A New Form of Griefing
    JCTango

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 6

#2  Edited By JCTango

Haha.  Great article there, Vito.. it was a fun read.  That damn gnome.. I hope he doesn't give you nightmares now.

BTW, I got l4d2 recently as well, so if you're looking for someone to play with also, hit me up xD.  Doh... are you playing on 360 or Steam?  I have the steam version.

McShank

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#3  Edited By McShank

I have yet to get that achiev :( Gj on completing it. Also if you are using steam then Hit me up for a game if you want more peeps :D

CharlesAlanRatliff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@JCTango: Thanks!

@JCTango: @McShank: I only have the 360 version. I'll probably get Left 4 Dead 2 on Steam once it goes on sale again. Vito_Raliffe is my Steam name.

xpgamer7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

User Lists: 5

#5  Edited By xpgamer7

Gnome Chompski is one of my favorite video game memes(?), so I'm happy to see it whenever someone makes a commitment to him.

WickedCestus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 7

#6  Edited By WickedCestus

I cried when you lost Gnome, and your pitiful excuse for a happy ending couldn't get rid of the utter sadness that fills my heart. 

8 stars out of 9. 

project343

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#7  Edited By project343

The Prodigy works really well with Gnomes. Just sayin'.

Avatar image for rhombus_of_terror
    Rhombus_Of_Terror

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#8  Edited By Rhombus_Of_Terror

In that Gnome game you'll get an achievement by carrying Gordon Freeman to the end of the game.

Tordah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#9  Edited By Tordah

I've rescued (and failed to rescue) dear old Gnome Chompski several times. The funny thing is, I got the achievement on my first playthrough (single player), but my friend has attempted to carry him several times and always died during the helicopter rescue. Poor Chompski. 

Also, I just love writing Gnome Chompski. Such an awesome name.

PK_Koopa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#10  Edited By PK_Koopa

Okay that's it. This has inspired me to finally get that damn achievement. Next time I'm playing my 360 I'm totally gonna try this again.

Avatar image for sir_loin_of_beef
    Sir_Loin_of_Beef

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#11  Edited By Sir_Loin_of_Beef

I remember the night I got this achievement, it was awesome fun, me, my mate and two strangers from Wales, one of the Welsh guys took care of Chompskie all the way to the end of the level, and then he accidently droped him down the side of the stadium, it was such a lol-facepalm moment but it's a moment that will live on forever in my mind xD anyway we did the level again and all got the achievement.

ScreamingFist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#12  Edited By ScreamingFist

Love the article!

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

#13  Edited By Hailinel

Nice read! I'm amazed by the people that are able to carry that little guy all the way to the end.

Alphazero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

User Lists: 10

#14  Edited By Alphazero

I ended up doing getting the Gnome through the flood toward the end by throwing him over the hoard, shooting my way forward, picking him up and doing it again. Very proud of that achievement, particularly because of how stupid and difficult it is.

Avatar image for deactivated-5c9d14856890c
    deactivated-5c9d14856890c

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Awesome! Never tried to get this achievement but I think you've inspired me to fire up L4D2 for another whirl before the crazy winter release season kicks in :-)

medacris

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#16  Edited By medacris
    Gnome Chompsky: The Game needs to be a real thing.

The time I got the achievement, we all played Round Robin with it, and referred to Chompsky as "Baby Mario" and "our kid" the entire time.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.