Need some help in getting to grips with GMod

#1 Posted by FlamingHobo (4479 posts) -

I was surfing the Steam store the other day and picked up Counter-Strike: Source as well as Garry's Mod. Now, I already knew how much fun both games were but I still don't quite know how to use Garry's Mod properly.

I was wondering if anyone could recommend any online tutorials? Hints, tips and suggestions are welcome also.

#2 Posted by Griddler (3344 posts) -

Bumped for OP's sake.

#3 Posted by CowMuffins (1760 posts) -

Depends what you want to do with Gmod. You can doodle around with the premade stuff and take pictures. You could download weapons and models to doodle around with. You could download mod like Wiremod and make complex contraptions. You could play on Roleplaying servers if that's your thing. You can play on Sassilization and Deathrun. You could play on Gmod Tower. Tons of stuff.

I would send you a link to facepunch, but facepunch has such a terrible community that I don't think you want to go there. But, if you're looking for anything Gmod related Garrysmod.org and Facepunch.com are the places to go.

#4 Posted by FlamingHobo (4479 posts) -
@girdz said:
" Bumped for OP's sake. "
Cheers dude.

@CowMuffins: I wasn't aware that GMod was actually capable of that much. All I'd really seen were the GMod machinams such as The Idiot Box. That is the area I am looking most in to.
#5 Posted by CowMuffins (1760 posts) -
@FlamingHobo said:
" @girdz said:
Cheers dude.

@CowMuffins: I wasn't aware that GMod was actually capable of that much. All I'd really seen were the GMod machinams such as The Idiot Box. That is the area I am looking most in to. "
Well, I'd recommend looking up some tutorials on how to use Source Recorder then.
#6 Posted by FlamingHobo (4479 posts) -
@CowMuffins said:
" @FlamingHobo said:
" @girdz said:
Cheers dude.

@CowMuffins: I wasn't aware that GMod was actually capable of that much. All I'd really seen were the GMod machinams such as The Idiot Box. That is the area I am looking most in to. "
Well, I'd recommend looking up some tutorials on how to use Source Recorder then. "
Thanks for the assistance.
#7 Posted by CowMuffins (1760 posts) -
@FlamingHobo: Hit me up on steam if you have more questions, my name is Cow_Muffins.
#8 Posted by turbomonkey138 (4950 posts) -

I just spawn headcrabs and have them chase me around ..... some may call it a fetish

#9 Posted by Icil (727 posts) -

*revive* 

I played some GMod recently. Made a helicopter with folding wings (folds on pressing '5'). Ridiculous, didn't fly at all straight. 

For anyone doing GMod, I recommend a mod with some extra models in it and the mod pack containing something to save your vehicles and SnapToGrid, a lifesaver for making cool contraptions. Also, has anyone seen the mod called 'Wire'? That shit gets deep, fast. 

I downloaded a solar system level. Crazy size, I wish I could make a huge starship and have some crazy battles. 

Ooh, also, I made a destructible tank. I welded plates of armor and made the threshold for breaking low (something like 50N). Run aliens over and parts fly. 

Cool game.

#10 Edited by Coombs (3449 posts) -

First thing,

GET WIREMOD

Second, 

Build Shit

Third,

Get Bored and stop playing.

Edit: Just noticed this is 4 months old.....
I guess your already at Step 3

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.